Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

[FSG] Streets of Bedlam - New ultraviolent neo-noir setting
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW Licensees
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jasonlblair
Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I appreciate your perspective as a long-time fan of Savage Worlds.

I've already incorporated changes such as explicitly calling out the Edges and Hindrances for the respective Archetypes, giving mechanics to some Edges (such as Product Immunity) where before there were none, etc. I'll have to revisit the rest of your concerns about the stat blocks and such.

I'm currently mulling over a system for drug use/recovery and a plotline generator for the corebook. I agree those would be very handy. As for future published scenarios, Five-Story Drop, a collection of five standalone episodes, is on the slate for August and I plan to start releasing one-shot Sob Stories PDFs this fall. These will be in the format of my Campfire Tales releases for Little Fears Nightmare Edition for those who might be familiar. 6k words, 9-11 scenes, self-contained.

Streets of Bedlam - A Savage World of Crime + Corruption
cbooth
Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think a random scenario/adventure generator would be pretty cool, something like the one presented in Agents of Oblivion. It doesn't even have to be that complicated, just simplify it to drawing a few cards from the deck.
Are there plans for a city map? Nothing too detailed, but denoting the areas of interest (Bricktown, Daniel's Reach, The Corners, etc.). Some of the descriptions give you an idea of where certain areas are, others not so much.
jasonlblair
Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cbooth wrote:
Are there plans for a city map? Nothing too detailed, but denoting the areas of interest (Bricktown, Daniel's Reach, The Corners, etc.). Some of the descriptions give you an idea of where certain areas are, others not so much.

Maps cost a lot to commission. I would only--and could only--do a city map if I knew I could sell it individually or as part of a larger project with otherwise lower expenses.

ValhallaGH
Legendary

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jasonlblair wrote:
I'm currently mulling over a system for drug use/recovery

The SWD provides a few baseline starting points. The Poisons system gives you a framework for drug effects (most of which should not include nearly as many immediate detrimental effects as actual poisons) and resisting the initial doses. The Disease system gives you some mechanical options for long-term addition penalties. And the Habit (Major) hindrance gives you a hard mechanic for denying the addiction and (potentially) recovery.

P.S. It's not perfect, but I'm really grooving on the setting. Thanks! #gunbattle
cbooth
Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a question about Can Take a Punch. It states that it costs one action to use the ability, so does this fall under multiple action penalities? For instance, if my Bulldog character gets smacked with a baseball bat and I decide to Soak using his ability, am I at cumulative negative modifiers for all subsequent actions? Would the Soak roll be at a negative, or just all actions following the Soak? What if my character used an action already, and then was forced to use the ability? Would there be a penalty for the subsequent round, for whatever action I would take?
The same questions are aimed at Bulletproof.
jasonlblair
Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cbooth wrote:
I have a question about Can Take a Punch. It states that it costs one action to use the ability, so does this fall under multiple action penalities? For instance, if my Bulldog character gets smacked with a baseball bat and I decide to Soak using his ability, am I at cumulative negative modifiers for all subsequent actions? Would the Soak roll be at a negative, or just all actions following the Soak? What if my character used an action already, and then was forced to use the ability? Would there be a penalty for the subsequent round, for whatever action I would take?

As actions, the Soak rolls allowed by Can Take a Punch and Bulletproof fall under the same penalties as any other actions would.

Cable Hogue
Seasoned

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 4:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jasonlblair wrote:
cbooth wrote:

As actions, the Soak rolls allowed by Can Take a Punch and Bulletproof fall under the same penalties as any other actions would.
Soak rolls are according to SW basic rules no actions at all. They are a kind of "reaction" triggered by the spending of a Bennie.

If an automatic Soak roll has to be handled like a normal action, then it has to be declared by the player at the start of the round or at least at the start of his turn (in order to determine Multi Action Penalties).

But a player could not possibly know how many hits his character would receive, that cause enough damage to trigger the automatic Soak roll.

So a PC's actions could already be "spent" by having his turn completed.

The application of Can Take a Punch and Bulletproof are unclear.

Does the character have to be On Hold in order to be able to apply his automatic Soak roll?
How are multiple hits in the same round to be handled?

An example of applying those abilities would be VERY helpful.
jasonlblair
Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Correct, standard Soak rolls are a reaction. With these two Archetypes, Soaking damage is a willful act. They have the ability to push through severe amounts of pain and damage.

Perhaps this is clearer:

The character can make a Soak roll as an action on his turn. This may be done as part of multiple actions (incurring standard multi-action penalties). Soak rolls made as actions do not cost Bennies.

ValhallaGH
Legendary

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jasonlblair wrote:
Perhaps this is clearer:

The character can make a Soak roll as an action on his turn. This may be done as part of multiple actions (incurring standard multi-action penalties). Soak rolls made as actions do not cost Bennies.

... So, on their turn, these two archetypes can choose to spend an action Soaking wounds they've already taken?

Assuming the answer is yes, it would be easier and less confusing to call it a form of willful 'regeneration'. It's not that they are Soaking - which makes the damage never occur - it's that they are pushing aside all the pain and getting their bodies to act as if they were undamaged. Which is awesome, but gets confusing as the Christian Trinity when you call it by the name of a completely different game mechanic.

If the answer is No then we'll need further clarification.
jasonlblair
Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The reason I call them Soak rolls is because they are mechanically identical to Soak rolls. I chose not to use the term Regeneration because Bulldogs and Monsters can't use their abilities to come back from the dead and don't get the bonus to Spirit rolls--which are both things Fast Regeneration allows. By calling them Soak rolls, I don't have to list exceptions as I would by calling them Regeneration.

cbooth
Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, so it goes something like this:

Bulldog character takes a Wound and decides to use the special ability. On their turn, Bulldog Soaks Wound, but wants to cap off a shot with their pistol. Both the Soak and the shot will be at -2, due to MAP.

Is this correct?
jasonlblair
Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Correct.

ValhallaGH
Legendary

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jasonlblair wrote:
By calling them Soak rolls, I don't have to list exceptions as I would by calling them Regeneration.

A) There are multiple types of Regeneration, even in the monster abilities. This super-awesome non-automatic version is just another variant on the theme. "As an action, the character can make a Vigor roll; each success and raise removes an existing wound. The character still looks beat-all-to-hell, but he's so used to punishment that it only has cosmetic effects."
-This is not a Soak roll since it happens after damage, and by removing the term you remove that confusion.
-This is not natural healing, so Fast Healer does not apply, but you can heal more than 2 wounds.
-It can't save you from Incapacitation since Incapacitated characters cannot take actions.
-You can shorten the description to one sentence by cutting out the trappings, but that will probably cause more complaints in the long run.
B) I think this series of posts indicates that by calling them Soak rolls (which in all other settings, and for all other archetypes, can only be done before damage has been applied) means that you should list the exceptions. Mr. Green

Still trying to be helpful.
Cable Hogue
Seasoned

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ValhallaGH wrote:

-This is not a Soak roll since it happens after damage, and by removing the term you remove that confusion.
And, quite an important difference, since it occurs AFTER damage has taken effect, this "non-Soak roll" would be made including the wound penalties.

In a "normal" Soak roll the wounds have not yet taken effect and therefore their penalties are not applied to the roll.

In fact, those two Archetype special abilities are really more like a kind of "regeneration" than something else - and quite different to a Soak roll.
Wibbs
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree. Calling it a Soak roll would be extremely confusing #1eek13
jasonlblair
Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all for the feedback. I've rewritten the Edges to be clearer as to their rules and usage. The next PDF update will have the new text.

Big_Pete
Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 7:21 am    Post subject: Stuff Reply with quote

Hi all,

Running my first SOB session tomorrow night, just a couple of points, no problem for me not to have a map of the city, I would rather keep it fluid and not locked down. I like the idea of a random adventure generator, something like the system in Shinetar, i love the detail and twists in the plot point Death in Bedlam, that is what I am going to kick off with. I am sure I will be able to work my new alter ego into the game.

Cheers

Pete "Thumper" Thomas
sagaston
Seasoned

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 2:09 am    Post subject: Re: Stuff Reply with quote

Big_Pete wrote:
Hi all,

Running my first SOB session tomorrow night, just a couple of points, no problem for me not to have a map of the city, I would rather keep it fluid and not locked down. I like the idea of a random adventure generator, something like the system in Shinetar, i love the detail and twists in the plot point Death in Bedlam, that is what I am going to kick off with. I am sure I will be able to work my new alter ego into the game.

Cheers

Pete "Thumper" Thomas

Awesome. I demand a recap!
Big_Pete
Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ran my first session.

We have a Bulldog, a Badge and a Hitter. Started out with them all tied up waiting to be given 2 behind the ear, escaping from this started them working as a group. The badge was giving the other 2 a ride back into town when he got a call about a body in a dumpster behind a Thai food place.

The other 2 were eating thai takeaway while the badge worked the scene, they joined in the foot chase and have been draw in from there. Finished the session at a trailer park murder scene. No appearance from Thumper yet but we will see next game.

Loving the feel of the game. It was given thumbs up by all. And some of us have been playing since a certain red box came out so we can be a bit picky about what we play.

Cheers

Pete
Eduardo
Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any news on the printed book?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW Licensees All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7

Jump to: