Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Iron Man 2, no Spoilers

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> The Break Room
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Watching commercials at the movie theatre delaying movie start
Can't stand all the ads (excluding promo Trailers)
57%
 57%  [ 11 ]
Can't stand all the ads (including promo Trailers)
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Doesn't care about all the ads (including promo Trailers)
21%
 21%  [ 4 ]
Loves all the ads (including promo Trailers)
21%
 21%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 19

Takeda
Heroic

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 12:47 pm    Post subject: Iron Man 2, no Spoilers Reply with quote

I'd give it a solid 8 out of 10.

There were a lot of opportunities to get a 8.5 or even a 9 but to keep the PG-13 rating they had to gloss over a few things. But overall it worked very well.

The biggest complaint was not the movie at all: the so-called Pre-Show. 18-minutes of commercials before they even got to the preview/trailers. The movie was supposed to start at 9:30 and the Pre-Show delayed the trailers and such so the actual movie didn't start until 10PM!!!

I mean I'm paying good money to go to the movie theatre and I have to sit through 4 car commercials, an ad for the Shrek movie (and we get a promo later), 3 Telus commercials, Budweiser, 2 ads for Scotiabank, an Old Spice commercial which both kinda funny and insulting, and of course the usual don't pirate movies ad and the Rent a Theatre self-promotion Silver City always tacks on.

I don't want to go to the theatre with that kind of crap being crammed down my throat.
Sam: "Dude, you're not gonna poke her with a stick?"
Supernatural Quotes
Cryonic
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They make next to no $$$ from the movie itself. Theaters make their money off concessions and the ads that they are paid to run. I don't mind the ads much since the theaters around here run them between shows, but when the "showtime" hits, they play an ad for the sound system, the don't add your own soundtrack and then more than 20 minutes of trailers. What sucks is most of the trailers are for movies that I wouldn't want to see (I'm at a big action flick and they are playing romance trailers).
TV has been getting worse as well. Star Trek in the 60s was 53 - 55 minutes for the episode (so only 5 - 7 minutes of commercials). The reairs of the episodes in the 90s cut them down to 50 minutes and now TV shows are regularly barely making it past the 40 minute mark with the credits. Basically commercials now account for 4 TIMES the amount that they did just 40 - 50 years ago. Add that across the greater number of channels that exist (a few hundred) and you get an idea of the scope of the issue.
Heck, even our clothes are advertisements that we PAID to wear.
Seeker of Truth
Heroic

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Takeda, what theatre company did you see it at? I just saw it at a Regal last night and saw none of that. Just the regular previews.

As for the movie, I loved it. Great movie on its own, and good links to the upcoming Thor, Captain America, and Avengers movies. Don Cheadle was awesome as Rhodes, and Scarlett Johansson was an awesome and incredibly sexy Black Widow
Takeda
Heroic

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

>Seeker of Truth

Silver City in Victoria, BC, Canada.
Sam: "Dude, you're not gonna poke her with a stick?"
Supernatural Quotes
The GIT!
Heroic

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just got home from watching the movie and loved it! Great build up for Cap America, Thor and the Avengers Initiative. It follows on nicely from the first Iron Man and I thought it was as good as the first movie. Everybody in the cinema (kids and adult kids) were having a blast.
Snate56
Legendary

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I didn't have those adds either. I can see your frustration. All we get is maybe a Coke commercial and some of them are are kinda good, like Super Bowl commercials. I would certainly have voted differently if I had to sit through what you did.

As for the movie, I enjoyed it very much.

Spoilers:

Didn't quite like how they introduced War Machine, I thought Tony and Rhodes worked together on that. Have to admit though, I didn't collect the comics during that time period. Loved all the other suits, especially the suitcase model!

I didn't like Cap's shield, that couldn't be his original, must've been something Tony has been mucking about with.

I didn't see Black Widow's spider design on her outfit and I missed it. Also at no time was she reffered to as the Black Widow, it looked like she was just another SHIELD opperative. But DAMN did she kick ass!

LOVED seeing Thor's hammer!

SteveN
Cryonic
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The shield was on Stark's workbench in the first movie.
The GIT!
Heroic

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cryonic wrote:
The shield was on Stark's workbench in the first movie.

Yeah - I can't believe I missed that. There's so many in-jokes and hints; I love these movies.
Inferno!
Seasoned

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The movie critics apparently aren't too crazy about it, but I don't usually understand what they're whining about. Not every movie is about the meaning of life. Big thumbs up from me.

Around here they show the commercial before the schedule start time, and the trailers at start time. I've always loved trailers, and the commercials are better than watching the repeating slide shows of the past.
Ogma
Heroic

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have some theaters here in the L.A. area called Arclight Cinemas... Reserved seats and no commercials (just a couple trailers). Also no movie facts, top 40 hits, etc.

Whenever possible (95% of the time), we see movies at these theaters now.
Sitting Duck
Legendary

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Complete the following:

Iron Man, Iron Man
Does whatever an iron can
Can press shirts any size
Snate56
Legendary

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

...can alter pants, including flies...

SteveN
Sitting Duck
Legendary

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look out, here comes the Iron Man
BluSponge
Heroic

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought it was good. Not Spider Man 2 good, and certainly not Dark Knight good, but a solid and enjoyable entry. It had 200x the story and depth that Avatar did (which honestly isn't that hard to accomplish). But it wasn't quite as good as the original. And for that I place all the blame on the Avengers tie in. Yes, Sam Jackson on screen as Nick Fury is like geek candy, but when you get down to the nuts and bolts of it, the Avengers stuff added nothing to the overall story and actually created a heft Deus Ex Machina scenario that made the story worse.

Without being too spoilerific (read at your peril):

The story could have shaped up quite nicely as a look at Tony Stark examining his own mortality and dealing with his daddy issues. But Nick Fury screws all that up.
Blackwidow is completely irrelevant to the overall story. She adds nothing. She accomplishes nothing. She's (yummy) window dressing and a gag. Every second she is on the screen eats up time that could be spent on more important things. (That said, like every red blooded American male, I did enjoy her big action scene).
Whiplash is kind of a chump.
I know the Mandarin doesn't really translate well into modern cinema, but I REALLY hope Iron Man 3 puts Stark up against something more than yet another mechanical adversary. I'd really like to see the writers put him up against something he has to think he way around.

All that said, none of it got in the way of my enjoyment of the flick. It was good. I'd see it again, and even buy the DVD. It's just when you look at it objectively after the fact, it could have been a lot better with very little effort.

Tom
Sitting Duck
Legendary

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saw it last night and mostly enjoyed it. But like BluSponge, I too gave a big apathetic meh as regards Black Widow.
Snate56
Legendary

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm always ecstatic when they give a tip of the hat to the fact that the superhero community isn't just one person. For decades the only movies made featured just the one main character as if they were the only one in existence and I've always been frustrated by it. Nowadays we're finally getting to see what the rest of the superhero world looks like. I didn't think Widow's part in the movie was too much, I just wish they hadn't left her, more or less, uncredited.

SteveN
Enpeze
Seasoned

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ironman2? hm. 3 of 10. Bad cliche film, bad script, bad acting, nice CGI and medium action.

the only good superhero film I saw the last 10y has been Watchmen. THIS was a good film!
Jim
Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Enpeze wrote:
Ironman2? hm. 3 of 10. Bad cliche film, bad script, bad acting, nice CGI and medium action.

the only good superhero film I saw the last 10y has been Watchmen. THIS was a good film!

I thought Watchman was a betrayal of the graphic novel. Not because of the changed ending but because they had to remove so much of the extraneous bits that it had almost no context.. It was decent for the sheer spectical, but no one should have tried to take such a monumental work that transcended the genre and cram into a two hour movie. It might have worked as a miniseries or single-season show but ultimately I think Zack Snyder took one of the most thoughtful and compelling pieces of superhero fiction and turned it into just another action movie.

As far as Iron Man 2 is concerned, you guys should familiarize yourselves with a statistical concept called 'regression to the mean' it basically means that everything has an average and overtime you are going to return to that average. For example if a baseball player has a lifetime batting averave of 250 he's going to hit about 1 in every four pitches that he is thrown. Some games he might hit more some games less. Just becuase he has a game where his average is higher doesnt mean he has suddenly become a better player it is probably just an outlier.

The original Iron Man was a great super hero movie. It had everything: a convincing villian, a redemption arc, a love interest that was more than a damsel in distress, etc. But not every super hero movie is great. Most are just mediocre and a fe are terrible. So if you consider the average than Iron Man 2 was just a return to the mean for comic book movies.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> The Break Room All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: