Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Will Critically Fail For Bennies

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW General Chat & Game Stories
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
ron blessing
Heroic


Joined: 08 Aug 2005
Posts: 1523
Location: Thornton, CO

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 2:09 pm    Post subject: Will Critically Fail For Bennies Reply with quote

I wrote a blog post about a Savage Worlds setting rule I created and where it came from. Check it out: http://www.tgtt.us/2014/04/15/will-critically-fail-for-bennies/
_________________
Ron
Gamer: The Blogging - Musings of a Father, Husband, and Gamer.
The Game's the Thing: Analog Gaming In a Digital World
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
cousinned
Novice


Joined: 06 Aug 2013
Posts: 66

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love this idea, I will definitely try it out the next time I run a game! Although I would probably limit it to once per player per session: once per scene might make the game seem too much like the Three Stooges. I'd also try to relate the critical failure to one of the PC's hindrances to make it more personal.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ron blessing
Heroic


Joined: 08 Aug 2005
Posts: 1523
Location: Thornton, CO

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cousinned wrote:
I love this idea, I will definitely try it out the next time I run a game! Although I would probably limit it to once per player per session: once per scene might make the game seem too much like the Three Stooges. I'd also try to relate the critical failure to one of the PC's hindrances to make it more personal.


Sounds reasonable. Let me know how it goes!
_________________
Ron
Gamer: The Blogging - Musings of a Father, Husband, and Gamer.
The Game's the Thing: Analog Gaming In a Digital World
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
The GIT!
Heroic


Joined: 12 Mar 2007
Posts: 1027
Location: Wherever the next mission takes me!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My experience is that critical failures happen far more than people expect (my players rolled a bunch in the last few sessions of my AoO campaign). When this happens I use the common house rule which issues the player with a Bennie but the critical failure cannot be re-rolled. As a result, I am unlikely to use the house rule proposed in this thread for the simple fact that the game already has critical failures aplenty Twisted Evil
_________________
Ejector seat? You're joking!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ogbendog
Legendary


Joined: 29 Jul 2004
Posts: 2413

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, figure the average skill, at least for novices, is d6. The odds of snake eys is 1/36, or around 3 percent.

5 pcs. each takes an action per turn, plus resisting spells, grapples, notice checks and the like. Probably around a 10 or 15% chance each round of combat
_________________
Bill Ogden
Author of Kaiser's Gate Field Manual Vol 1: Mounts, now available for purchase.

http://www.rpgnow.com/product/119241/Kaisers-Gate-Field-Manual-Mounts
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ron blessing
Heroic


Joined: 08 Aug 2005
Posts: 1523
Location: Thornton, CO

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The GIT! wrote:
My experience is that critical failures happen far more than people expect (my players rolled a bunch in the last few sessions of my AoO campaign). When this happens I use the common house rule which issues the player with a Bennie but the critical failure cannot be re-rolled. As a result, I am unlikely to use the house rule proposed in this thread for the simple fact that the game already has critical failures aplenty Twisted Evil


Oh I certainly wouldn't use this rule in an AoO game. This is more for noir-style gamesódetectives, investigation, that sort of thing.
_________________
Ron
Gamer: The Blogging - Musings of a Father, Husband, and Gamer.
The Game's the Thing: Analog Gaming In a Digital World
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
The GIT!
Heroic


Joined: 12 Mar 2007
Posts: 1027
Location: Wherever the next mission takes me!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ron blessing wrote:
The GIT! wrote:
My experience is that critical failures happen far more than people expect (my players rolled a bunch in the last few sessions of my AoO campaign). When this happens I use the common house rule which issues the player with a Bennie but the critical failure cannot be re-rolled. As a result, I am unlikely to use the house rule proposed in this thread for the simple fact that the game already has critical failures aplenty Twisted Evil


Oh I certainly wouldn't use this rule in an AoO game. This is more for noir-style gamesódetectives, investigation, that sort of thing.

I was just using AoO as an example because that's what I'm running at the moment; I personally wouldn't use this houserule in any of my SW games for the reasons I gave above (but I can understand why some people may like to use it).
_________________
Ejector seat? You're joking!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
fanchergw
Heroic


Joined: 13 May 2003
Posts: 1574
Location: Seattle area

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think rather than a rule, I would be more inclined to bribing a player to choose to not reroll by offering a benny reward. Their choice: spend a benny and reroll or get an additonal benny and suffer the consequences of the bad roll.

Gordon
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
nDervish
Seasoned


Joined: 23 Jun 2013
Posts: 192
Location: Lund, Sweden

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ron blessing wrote:
Oh I certainly wouldn't use this rule in an AoO game. This is more for noir-style gamesódetectives, investigation, that sort of thing.

I don't really see the noir/detective connection. Seems to me that it's appropriate for any setting, regardless of genre, where the characters are intended to be fallible and to screw up occasionally. (From what little I know of AoO, I agree that it doesn't seem to be that kind of setting, so I'm not questioning that part of your comment.)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Sitting Duck
Legendary


Joined: 15 May 2003
Posts: 5059
Location: Podunk Junction, State of Confusion

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The GIT! wrote:
My experience is that critical failures happen far more than people expect (my players rolled a bunch in the last few sessions of my AoO campaign). When this happens I use the common house rule which issues the player with a Bennie but the critical failure cannot be re-rolled. As a result, I am unlikely to use the house rule proposed in this thread for the simple fact that the game already has critical failures aplenty Twisted Evil


Another possible house rule is, if you use a benny to reroll a critical failure, said benny goes to the GM's general NPC benny pool.
_________________
The rabbit is cuddly. Kids like little cuddly sidekicks. I mean... The rabbit... It's a time-tested... Okay, the rabbit bites.
Blog: http://sittingduck1313.livejournal.com
The Gamer's Codex Reviewer
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger
GruffaloCrumble
Seasoned


Joined: 19 Sep 2011
Posts: 219

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't access the link in the original post from my office computer, so I'm hoping this comment is on topic. :p

I've always given players a benny when they critically fail a roll and it seems to go down well. When I tried running a game without that particular house-rule, the players rebelled. Very Happy
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
amerigoV
Veteran


Joined: 06 Jul 2009
Posts: 966
Location: Columbus, Ohio

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sitting Duck wrote:


Another possible house rule is, if you use a benny to reroll a critical failure, said benny goes to the GM's general NPC benny pool.


I know Deadlands has that with the Red Bennies - but as a Player I treat them the same as a Blue - ie, I would not even hesitate to spend the Bennie to get out of the Crit/Fail. The GM is all powerful anyway - if the fight is going badly for his/her guys King Kong can show up out of nowhere if he/she wants. But they generally have to exercise some restraint. So I am not really adding anything to their ability to kill my PC. Its just an illusion.
_________________
Savage Buckeye!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW General Chat & Game Stories All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum