Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Will Critically Fail For Bennies

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW General Chat & Game Stories
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ron blessing
Heroic

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 2:09 pm    Post subject: Will Critically Fail For Bennies Reply with quote

I wrote a blog post about a Savage Worlds setting rule I created and where it came from. Check it out: http://www.tgtt.us/2014/04/15/will-critically-fail-for-bennies/
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
cousinned
Novice

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love this idea, I will definitely try it out the next time I run a game! Although I would probably limit it to once per player per session: once per scene might make the game seem too much like the Three Stooges. I'd also try to relate the critical failure to one of the PC's hindrances to make it more personal.
ron blessing
Heroic

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cousinned wrote:
I love this idea, I will definitely try it out the next time I run a game! Although I would probably limit it to once per player per session: once per scene might make the game seem too much like the Three Stooges. I'd also try to relate the critical failure to one of the PC's hindrances to make it more personal.

Sounds reasonable. Let me know how it goes!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
The GIT!
Heroic

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My experience is that critical failures happen far more than people expect (my players rolled a bunch in the last few sessions of my AoO campaign). When this happens I use the common house rule which issues the player with a Bennie but the critical failure cannot be re-rolled. As a result, I am unlikely to use the house rule proposed in this thread for the simple fact that the game already has critical failures aplenty Twisted Evil
ogbendog
Legendary

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, figure the average skill, at least for novices, is d6. The odds of snake eys is 1/36, or around 3 percent.

5 pcs. each takes an action per turn, plus resisting spells, grapples, notice checks and the like. Probably around a 10 or 15% chance each round of combat

http://www.rpgnow.com/product/119241/Kaisers-Gate-Field-Manual-Mounts
ron blessing
Heroic

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The GIT! wrote:
My experience is that critical failures happen far more than people expect (my players rolled a bunch in the last few sessions of my AoO campaign). When this happens I use the common house rule which issues the player with a Bennie but the critical failure cannot be re-rolled. As a result, I am unlikely to use the house rule proposed in this thread for the simple fact that the game already has critical failures aplenty Twisted Evil

Oh I certainly wouldn't use this rule in an AoO game. This is more for noir-style gamesódetectives, investigation, that sort of thing.
The GIT!
Heroic

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ron blessing wrote:
The GIT! wrote:

Oh I certainly wouldn't use this rule in an AoO game. This is more for noir-style gamesódetectives, investigation, that sort of thing.

I was just using AoO as an example because that's what I'm running at the moment; I personally wouldn't use this houserule in any of my SW games for the reasons I gave above (but I can understand why some people may like to use it).
fanchergw
Heroic

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think rather than a rule, I would be more inclined to bribing a player to choose to not reroll by offering a benny reward. Their choice: spend a benny and reroll or get an additonal benny and suffer the consequences of the bad roll.

Gordon
nDervish
Seasoned

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ron blessing wrote:

I don't really see the noir/detective connection. Seems to me that it's appropriate for any setting, regardless of genre, where the characters are intended to be fallible and to screw up occasionally. (From what little I know of AoO, I agree that it doesn't seem to be that kind of setting, so I'm not questioning that part of your comment.)
Sitting Duck
Legendary

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The GIT! wrote:

Another possible house rule is, if you use a benny to reroll a critical failure, said benny goes to the GM's general NPC benny pool.
GruffaloCrumble
Seasoned

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't access the link in the original post from my office computer, so I'm hoping this comment is on topic. :p

I've always given players a benny when they critically fail a roll and it seems to go down well. When I tried running a game without that particular house-rule, the players rebelled. Very Happy
amerigoV
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sitting Duck wrote:

Another possible house rule is, if you use a benny to reroll a critical failure, said benny goes to the GM's general NPC benny pool.

I know Deadlands has that with the Red Bennies - but as a Player I treat them the same as a Blue - ie, I would not even hesitate to spend the Bennie to get out of the Crit/Fail. The GM is all powerful anyway - if the fight is going badly for his/her guys King Kong can show up out of nowhere if he/she wants. But they generally have to exercise some restraint. So I am not really adding anything to their ability to kill my PC. Its just an illusion.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW General Chat & Game Stories All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: