Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Smith & Robards Hat-o-Matic!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW Miniatures, Terrain, and other Game Aides
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jordan Peacock
Legendary

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 8:00 am    Post subject: The Smith & Robards Hat-o-Matic! Reply with quote

Put a hat on it, and call it Deadlands!

I've been painting up a small army of Reaper Savage Worlds / Deadlands minis (which I got from Beautiful Brains Books & Games), but I've also been supplementing them with assorted HorrorClix and even one or two Rail Wars minis. There are a few figures I have which are "borderline" workable for Deadlands, but I found that a nice little detail that helps to push them over the edge is to give the figure a HAT.

(Why, even the Rail Wars "sawbones" was missing a hat! For shame!)

The usual method I apply to add a "top hat" to a figure is just to make a thin disc of putty for the brim and jam that on the figure's head (carefully touching up to make sure the brim is shaped right), let that cure, then add a cylinder of putty for the main body of the hat ... the later add a "thread" of putty to make the hat band.

However, I have a rougher time making decent cowboy hats, and it occurred to me that I've got a lot of perfectly good cowboy hats on the official Reaper minis.

So, I nuked a mug of water, dropped some Instant Mold (plastic with a low melting point) in it, then jammed the plastic onto the hat of one of my Deadlands minis. (In the picture example, it's Reaper #59023 - Savage Worlds Texas Ranger (female).)

After that cooled, I removed the plastic, then carefully trimmed off excess plastic (which I can then re-melt and re-bond with the rest of my stockpile of Instant Mold) so I'd have a smaller, more manageable mold.

I have a few HorrorClix Freakshow "Firefighter / Big Red" minis (#073, #074, #075) I got as part of a bulk deal, which look like they could work for a Victorian or Wild-West setting.

I've removed them from their Clix bases and put on a mix of War Cast Studios resin bases, and some home-brewed 30mm base experiments. The original figures are holding fire axes, which were easily removed so I could have some characters who might work as regular bystanders/townfolk (or as bar room brawlers). Unfortunately, they have no hats.

So, voila! I just jammed a bit of Apoxie Sculpt into the mini-mold and popped that onto the head of one of the figures. The result will need trimming, since this is just a one-sided mold, so the area under the brim needs cutting and sanding -- and I also need to carve out the imprint under the hat, since it's hard to aim the mold onto the head JUST RIGHT.

This hat came out slightly too far forward on the head ... so in retrospect while it might have been "cute" to just jam the mold onto the figure's head, I'd be better off just using a sculpting tool to hollow out the putty while it's in the mold, and then make adjustments once I pop out the hat casting to fit it on the figure's head.

Although it still needs a little work, I've found that adding a decent hat can work in a pinch as "shorthand" for a figure who looks more in place in the Weird West or in a Victorian setting.
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brilliant!

Just add a cowboy hat and some wacky facial hair, and nobody will notice.
chugosh
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nifty!
doctorduckbutter
Seasoned

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My hats off to your sir!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW Miniatures, Terrain, and other Game Aides All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: