Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

[WOTD] Game Journal - Ongoing
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW General Chat & Game Stories
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jordan Peacock
Legendary

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great idea, with the black mat to mark off the "on stage" area. Smile Also, nice buildings. Where are those from?
Seasoned

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jordan Peacock wrote:
Great idea, with the black mat to mark off the "on stage" area. Smile Also, nice buildings. Where are those from?

I got the "on-stage" mat idea from your set-up. Thanks! Smile

The buildings on the table right now are from a bunch of different sources. The liquor store and fish shop are from Tommygun's site, the cycle shop is from Microtactix' Twilight Street Heroic set, the theater and grocery store are from their other two Twilight Street sets, and the gas station is World Works Games' Mayhem Services. I have an awesome kit bash gas station I made for later (from a free European set online).
DGMiller
Seasoned

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just finished tonight's game. I'll try to get the recap posted either in the morning or on Sunday. In the meantime, I'll share the pics that one of my players took of the table throughout the game tonight (she sits directly to my left).

Surprisingly, they weren't interested in raiding the little grocery store, but they did ransack the bar & grill and the auto parts store.

They also ransacked the little auto shop for any parts they could fit in the shopping cart from the auto parts store.

They were excited to see the emergency clinic, until they saw the zombies had been barricaded inside. Medical supplies would have to wait until another day.
DGMiller
Seasoned

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WotD: Season 1, Episode 5

The cast:
Mike Fulmin - ne'er-do-well misguided youth
Alison Gandry - classically trained ballet dancer
Bryce Winters - successful businessman, teaches karate at the YMCA
Sean MacGregor - professional photographer/cameraman born in Scotland
Thomas Odenson - Marine stationed at Camp Lejeune, on leave
Brooklynn "Brooke" Abrams - spoiled rich kid, socialite and heiress
Thomas "Trip" Gordon - Irish gypsy
Dr. Fabiana Winters - Bryce's wife, a doctor

Note: We were missing three players once again tonight. One of the benefits of a large group is that this doesn't cripple us. Sean's player, Trip's player, and Fabiana's player were not present. Trip's player gave Mike's player permission to control his character's actions.

After negotiations end, while Dr. Winters is checking the bikers, Hell allows Bryce to check on all of his people. When he is near Breckenridge, the mercenary calls Bryce over and, though he is still wounded, asks Bryce to allow him to accompany them into Beaufort, telling him they will need his survival skills and military training. Bryce declines the offer and, when out of Breckenridge's hearing, tries to tell Hell that the mercenary is not one of his group and should be watched. Hell tells Bryce that all of the hostages are part of the group and if Breckenridge tries anything crazy, the rest of the hostages will be held accountable. Bryce then decides to take Breckenridge along to Beaufort after all, because he doesn't trust the mercenary not to put everyone at the house in danger.

Just before dawn, Hell lines everyone up on the front porch of the Stevenson home and binds their hands for the trip into town. Trip and Fabiana have earned some good will from Hell so far, and Bryce has shown himself, in Hell's eyes, to be a fairly competent leader of the group, so things are going fairly well... until Hell and his men attempt to bind Thomas' hands. The marine refuses, telling Hell that he wasn't scared of the Taliban, so he sure isn't scared of some wannabe biker thugs (remember, Thomas' player wasn't there last week, for which I was thankful for this very reason). Hell pulls out a Desert Eagle and puts it to the Marine's head, asking Thomas to give a reason why he shouldn't shoot him right then and there. Thomas tells Hell to go ahead and shoot him if that's what he feels he needs to do, but he's not letting anyone tie his hands. Out in the trees, Mike tightens his grip on his SMG, prepared to respond if things go sour. Brooke makes a plea to Hell that they will be responsible if anything happens and the deal still stands, just let the Marine's hands go untied. This convinces Hell not to kill Thomas, just to knock him unconscious and tie his hands anyway. Hell pistol whips Thomas, but the Marine doesn't go down. Instead, he punches Hell. Always ready for a brawl, Hell decides to settle things mano a mano. He hands his gun off to another biker and proceeds to beat Thomas to a pulp. The fight lasts long enough to the bikers to crowd around, laughing, betting, and having a good time at the Marine's expense.

After Thomas is unconscious, Hell still allows Fabiana, whom he and his men now just call "Doc" as a show of respect, to treat Thomas' wounds, and she does so quite effectively (with Brooke's player playing an Adventure Card to allow all of Thomas' wounds to disappear, after his hands are tied - I let it take effect on the way to Beaufort). After the brawl is over, the group, consisting of Bryce, Trip, Brooke, Alison, Henry, Breckenridge and an unconscious Thomas are loaded into a cube van that arrived sometime before dawn, along with a former Marine Humvee, now painted with the logo of the Ghost Riders. The small army drives to the outskirts of Beaufort and parks in the lot of a church that the Riders have been using as a base of operations. They've already looted the nearby Food Lion and the cycle shop about a block away, and have this small area of about a block or so, firmly under control.

While the group is driving to Beaufort, Mike is torn between trying to rescue the hostages or trying to follow the convoy. Eventually, his curiosity wins and he sneaks to the house, steals a motorcycle, walks it a few blocks, and then leaves in pursuit of the gang. He follows far behind them, with them just in view most of the time, until they reach the edge of town, where he ditches the bike on a back street and follows the group on foot as they muster outside the cycle shop.

Hell allows Bryce to have a couple of the 9mm's from the cruise ship to hand out, with one clip each, so the group can be an effective distraction, figuring that if they shoot, they will attract more of the things to their position. They also allow them to bring a few of the fire axes from the ship. They head into town, with the group in front of the gang by about a block. The bikers have several crossbows and harpoon guns at the ready. Behind the main force of bikers, who are on foot, the cube truck and Humvee follow, with more bikers on foot beside and behind the vehicles. The bikes have been stashed at their fortified church. Mike is about a block east of the main street, keeping pace with the group as they enter the town.

As the group passes the cycle shop, Mike becomes aware of a horde of the creatures converging on him, so he climbs to the roof of a small shed attached to the cycle shop, and uses window ledges to climb to the main roof, staying low, so the bikers don't see him as they pass. The group passes that intersection and the horde sees them and begins to follow them instead now that Mike is safely hidden on the roof. As they begin to spill out onto the main street in pursuit of the "bait" group, the group hears the Marine Apache attack helicopter as it flies low in the direction the horde came from, strafing them as it crosses the main street, knocking most of them down. The bikers make sure the wounded things are put down when they get to the intersection. There are still a few shambling after the bait group as Brooke breaks into the front door of a bar.

Once inside the bar, the group starts searching for any unopened liquor bottles left behind. They find a few, along with some bar towels, and leave the bar through the back door. Out in the street, the bikers hang back, waiting to see if their bait emerges from the bar. In the alley behind the bar, Mike catches up with the group as Brooke, who is turning out to be quite the repressed criminal, is breaking into the back door of an auto parts store. They update each other on everything that's happened so far. While part of the group is searching the auto parts store, Alison sees a young boy limp across the back lot toward a nearby building. She investigates and discovers that he is one of the walking dead. Her and Bryce move in and take the thing down. Meanwhile, inside the auto parts store, the group finds a shopping cart and loads it with miscellaneous parts, some tire irons and crowbars, and a bottle of high octane fuel they found on a high shelf.

Leaving the auto parts store, Brooke is pushing the shopping cart. The group continues down the back alley around the fence of a garage. The head up the side street back toward the main street. As they continue up the side street, they notice someone who had climbed up a streetlight pole and died. As they pass under him, they discover that he has reanimated. As they continue to walk under the thing, he drops from the pole onto street right next to Mike. They stop long enough to beat the thing, with Bryce finally chopping its head open with his trusty fire axe. After dispatching the thing, the group loots the garage, but finds no working vehicles.

Back on the main street, the bikers see their bait reappear from the side street and start to move down another side street, breaking off toward the S-Mart. The group passes an emergency clinic and finds a large number of zombies barricaded inside. As they pass the barricaded building, a dog starts to bark loudly from the open window of a house across the street (I pulled a Joker here and then pulled the barking dog and the fortified house encounters). Brooke wants to save the dog, but the group wants to leave the barking zombie magnet behind. As they debate, a woman emerges from the house next door, aiming her shotgun at the dog to shut the thing up. The group sees her just before the two zombies take her down from behind. They notice that the house she came from has sheet metal bolted over the windows, with gun ports cut into it. They go into the house and raid the well-stocked pantry and armory inside. They also find an empty, but fortified garage, with a reinforced door. As they return from the garage, a call comes over the CB radio in the house, "Eagle to base, come in base." Thomas, the Marine picks up the handset and informs the male voice on the other end that the woman in the house has been killed with zombies, also identifying himself as Marine Gunnery Sgt. Thomas Odenson. The man "hopes they did the right thing" and were respectful to her body. He also tells them they better not have looted his house and that if they did, he'll find them. They hear automatic gunfire in the background and assume the man will be killed and won't need the guns, ammo, and food they looted. They leave the house and move on after Brooke rescues the dog from the house next door. Hearing that the automatic gunfire is coming from the area of the S-Mart, they assume not only that the bikers have reached their destination, but also that they are being killed by the opposition, especially after they see a pair of Humvees speeding in the direction of the S-Mart, and see the helicopter fly over again, heading in that direction.

The group finds a station wagon in the parking lot of the nearby McDonald's and Thomas gets it running. As they load the supplies they looted into the back of the wagon, they find that Breckenridge has snuck away and disappeared at some point. They then take the car back to the Stevenson home to collect the hostages. When they arrive, Bryce, Alison, Brooke, and Trip go to the door, while Henry, Mike, and Thomas hide in the trees with the guns, several of which they looted from the fortified house. When a biker answers the door, they see that he is surprised to see them. They also see that several bikers have the wheelchair-bound vet strung up through the exposed rafters of the living room like a marionette, and they are pulling on the strings to "make him walk" around the living room.

Spiderbait comes to the door and Trip, hits the deck, which is the signal to the three guys in the trees that things have gone badly for the hostages. Henry takes careful aim and puts a bullet right through Spiderbait's left eye, splattering her brains all over the bikers behind her. The remaining bikers scramble to first defend themselves and then flee the scene after things begin to go badly for them. The group dispatches all eight of them, and finishes by making sure they don't get up and start walking. They leave Spiderbait's body where it fell in the doorway, since there is no danger of her reanimation with most of the back of her head missing.

When they venture cautiously into the house, to check on the hostages, they discover that the vet is alive and has no permanent injuries. They find that Spiderbait has turned the face of one of Brooke's friends into a work of scarification art, and "had her way" with her as well. Other than they, they find the torture is limited to the psychological variety. Piling everyone into the RV and taking a few of the bikes, they leave the house behind, finding a minivan and a Dodge Magnum that they are able to get running at nearby houses, and heading in the direction of Jacksonville and and Camp LeJeune.

To be continued...
Jordan Peacock
Legendary

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like it went pretty well, though I was nervous about how Thomas's overt defiance against Hell was going to play out. I figure that if you're going to make a defiant stand against overwhelming odds, it might be better to do it BEFORE everyone else has their hands tied up ... but then, come to think of it, maybe dragging everyone else into a lost cause is a bad idea, after all. Not that I can't sympathize with the guy for hating the whole scenario, but ... there's got to be a better way to rebel. I'm glad it turned out as well as it did in the end.

And, of course, as per usual, I look forward to the next installment! Smile
Seasoned

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jordan Peacock wrote:
Sounds like it went pretty well, though I was nervous about how Thomas's overt defiance against Hell was going to play out. I figure that if you're going to make a defiant stand against overwhelming odds, it might be better to do it BEFORE everyone else has their hands tied up ... but then, come to think of it, maybe dragging everyone else into a lost cause is a bad idea, after all. Not that I can't sympathize with the guy for hating the whole scenario, but ... there's got to be a better way to rebel. I'm glad it turned out as well as it did in the end.

And, of course, as per usual, I look forward to the next installment! Smile

Thanks! It went pretty well, considering. If that player had been present the previous week, things would've gotten uglier sooner. He plays all of his characters that way. He has been known to sacrifice another player's character so that his can live just as often as he goes against insurmountable odds against everyone else's wishes. I've shared it with my groups before, but today I referred him specifically to this article: http://critical-hits.com/2011/12/13/the-grass-is-always-greener-where-the-drama-llama-grazes/ . After finally reading it, he said it makes sense now why everyone gets so frustrated with him at times (facepalm).

Anyway, thanks for reading, Jordan. You may be the only one who is, but I'll keep posting my recaps unless people ask me to stop.
werecorpse
Seasoned

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He's not the only one reading, great stuff. More than any other campaign I have come across I feel this one benefits from knowing how others handled the situations they encountered.

I am jealous of your great set up.

Do you know if anyone has actually finished the whole 4 chapters , it seems like a really tough ask?
ValhallaGH
Legendary

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

werecorpse wrote:
He's not the only one reading, great stuff.

So very true.
Quote:
Do you know if anyone has actually finished the whole 4 chapters , it seems like a really tough ask?

Outside of the playtest groups? No clue.
DGMiller
Seasoned

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

werecorpse wrote:
He's not the only one reading, great stuff. More than any other campaign I have come across I feel this one benefits from knowing how others handled the situations they encountered.

I am jealous of your great set up.

Thanks Werecorpse (and Valhalla)! I'm really a newbie at the whole 3D terrain thing.

And yes, I have benefitted SO much from the experiences of those who've run this before me and posted their accounts here. I'm able to pull solutions from everyone's campaigns to keep mine going in the right direction.

I think Wibbs is the closest to "going the distance" of any of the game journals I've read here anyway.
JamesG
Seasoned

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DGMiller wrote:

Anyway, thanks for reading, Jordan. You may be the only one who is, but I'll keep posting my recaps unless people ask me to stop.

He's not the only one. I'm just a lurker, but I look forward to each installment.
DGMiller
Seasoned

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2012 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JamesG wrote:
DGMiller wrote:

He's not the only one. I'm just a lurker, but I look forward to each installment.

Thank you, James.

Looks like I'll have to cancel the game this week. We had an emergency come up. I help rescue animals and it looks like I've got one that nobody else can take, so I have to get the house ready for a third siberian husky on very short notice and very unexpectedly. But when it's either take them or they'll die at the shelter within a few days, I didn't have much choice in the matter.

We'll be back at it next week.
JamesG
Seasoned

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are more summaries on the way?
Jordan Peacock
Legendary

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope so!

(EDIT. The local game store is changing its schedules, and will no longer be hosting RPGs on Sundays, so I won't be running at the Armadillo Game Shoppe after all. I still plan on starting up with Chapter II in November, but it'll have to be a home game rather than a store game. On the plus side, it means I'll have more table space, better A/C, I can feel free to use all my Clix minis and other out-of-production models, I won't be so limited in what I can cart to the game, I can run to the fridge whenever I like, I won't have to compete with other games due to background noise ... come to think of it, it's not that bad a change after all. Wink )

This will be a continuation of sorts of my run through Chapter 1, though only one player/PC is a "veteran" of my previous run. (New characters will start at the same XP level -- 35 XP. I'm still not decided on how to handle determining who is or isn't "resistant," though.) My plan is to treat Chapter 2 as pretty much self-contained, so the ending may deviate heavily from the adventure-as-written.

Last edited by Jordan Peacock on Mon Sep 17, 2012 4:40 pm; edited 2 times in total
DGMiller
Seasoned

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, folks. I had to take about 2 months off from gaming due to rescuing a very sick dog, changing jobs, and my dad being sick as well. It's been a rough couple of months. My new job will probably cost us one gaming session every three weeks (since we game on Friday nights and I work every 3rd Friday night now), but we had our first session since early July this past Friday night. I'll try to get a summary up sometime this week.
Jordan Peacock
Legendary

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hurrah! I look forward to it! Very Happy
Seasoned

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow. I have a LOT of catching up to do. Even though we didn't play for almost two months, I have three "episodes" to write up. One of them is from over two months ago. Here goes the first one...

WotD: Season 1, Episode 6

The cast:
Bryce Winters - successful businessman, taught karate at the YMCA
Thomas Odenson - Marine stationed at Camp Lejeune, on leave

Note: This session actually occurred on July 20th. This was the first time since we started that all of the players were present. This necessitated what the group dubbed "The Childrens' Table" which was a small table set near the main table. I just don't have enough room for all 8 of them at the main table if they all show up on the same night. Like I've said, large groups like this have both benefits and drawbacks.

As the group leaves the Stevenson home and the dead bikers behind, they scavenge what they can from the houses nearby, including enough vehicles and enough gas to hopefully make it to Jacksonville, though it is a bit cramped in the RV. After gathering what they can from nearby houses, the convoy of survivors follows Harkers Island Rd. out to Hwy 70. The first snag in their plan occurs only a little more than a quarter-mile down Hwy 70. Just past a business that identifies itself as Chadwick Tire Company, there is a wreck completely blocking the road. Unfortunately, there are also about a dozen of the things near the wreck and several more in the parking lot of the tire company. While the group is trying to figure out a distraction to draw off the shamblers and clear the wreck, Brooke and Kimmy (Bryce and Fabiana's 6-year-old daughter) both go into a fugue-like state and have a vision of a big orange bird diving out of the sky and spreading destruction in its wake. Trip moves up toward the wreck on his motorcycle, prepared to use molotov cocktails (his weapon of choice) to clear out some of the shamblers. Mike, near the rear of the convoy hears an engine approaching at high speed down Hwy 70 from the rear. He rides down the line of vehicles warning everyone to clear the road, but the semi-truck is coming fast, close to 80MPH the best Mike can tell. Most of the cars pull onto the shoulder in time, but one station wagon takes a glancing blow from the semi as it roars past, shearing off the mirror on the driver's side and doing a great deal of cosmetic damage to that side as well. As it flashes by, several of the group catch a glimpse through the cab's windshield of the driver being snacked on by his female passenger, who has now become one of those things. Blood squirts on the inside of the windshield as Trip and the others barely make it to safety before the semi, pulling a flatbed trailer with a load of large concrete pipes, slams into the wreck and bursts into flames. The truck's momentum and weight plows a clear spot across the road and manages to incinerate and pulverize a number of the things that were shambling around the area. The sound of the wreck also draws many of the shamblers out of the tire company's parking area. Trip tosses a couple of molotovs into the shamblers as they approach the wreck, and clears out into the tire company lot as the group waits for the fire to burn out enough to safely drive through. Thomas, Mike, and Henry also dispatch a few more with their guns.

Trip maneuvers his bike into the lot behind the tire company and manages to find a functional tire service pickup truck, which he commandeers. Several others help him load his Harley into the back and he rejoins the convoy with his new ride in time to continue down Hwy 70 past the wreck site. The going is slow, avoiding abandoned cars, debris, wreckage, and the occasional walker, and the group only puts a few more miles behind them before spotting a couple standing near an apparently a vehicle that has apparently broken down on a bridge. Bryce pulls his bike up to them to offer the group's assistance, but the man pulls a gun on him and demands that Bryce give them the bike. As the rest of the convoy arrives, other guns are drawn and a standoff ensues. Bryce and Thomas take the man's gun and the convoy moves past the stranded, now unarmed couple. The last vehicle in the convoy, Trip stops alongside the couple and warning them not to try anything else stupid, allows them to ride in the bed of his truck.

Crossing the big bridge right before Hwy 70 meets Merriman Rd and turns left towards Beaufort, the group decides to turn right onto Merriman rather than try to get through Beaufort again, with lots of the walking dead and the rest of Hell's group likely still in town. They also see East Carteret High School at the intersection, which looks as though it was used as a shelter in the early days of the outbreak. The right side of the intersection, the way they want to go is blocked by a school bus that hit a utility pole. There is enough room for the motorcycles to go around, but not the other vehicles. Unfortunately, the bus isn't empty. There are over a dozen of the things on there, many of them kids, likely trying to reach the shelter at the high school when the driver was killed and the bus met the utility pole. The group uses Trip's pickup and the RV to move the bus out of the way and Trip tosses some molotovs into the bus as they leave, horrifying his two passengers.

Henry directs the group to take Laurel Rd over to Hwy 101, towards Jacksonville. Just before the bridge over the Intracoastal Waterway, a man on a bicycle crosses Hwy 101, pedaling furiously on Tuttles Grove Rd. Unfortunately, he isn't paying attention and crosses right in front of the RV. Henry slams on the brakes and barely misses the man as he shoots across the road. Looking in the direction he came from, the group sees a large horde of the shamblers following the man towards the group. The rest of the convoy continues on, while Trip follows the man up Tuttles Grove Rd, until he can catch up and load the man and his bicycle into the back of his pickup. Trip rams through the leading edge of the horde and hurries to rejoin the end of the convoy on Hwy 101.

As the group is crossing the bridge over the waterway, several people see a helicopter flying low from the coast inland. Henry remarks to those in the RV that it looks like it's heading toward Havelock and the Marine Corps Air Station at Cherry Point. As it gets closer, they can see that the chopper, an orange Coast Guard Jayhawk, is trailing thick, dark smoke and flying erratically. Thomas can tell by the sound of the engine that this bird has a major problem. It's losing altitude fast and doesn't even clear the power lines on the side of Hwy 101. It bellyflops into a field and leaves a gash of flame and scorched earth behind it, as the spilling fuel ignites, and the chopper bursts into flame a few hundred yards away. Surmising that there would be no way to survive that horrific crash, the convoy continues past the crash site.

About a mile past the crash site, the group decides not to try their luck in Havelock, but to take the less populated route to Jacksonville. They follow Henry's advice and turn left onto Old Winberry Rd and then a right onto Mill Creek Rd. As they approach the outskirts of the small town of Newport, NC they see a prison on the right hand side of the road. Stopping, the group briefly considers checking it out, but the couple riding in the back of Trip's truck speaks up, admitting they had been victims of Hell's gang before meeting the group, which led to their "pull a gun first" method of meeting strangers. They tell that the prison is where Hell and many of his "associates" came from. The group elects to pass by the place in case Hell still has men there, and instead look for supplies in Newport.

When they reach Newport, they discover that the town isn't nearly as active as Beaufort was. There is evidence that a large portion of the zombie population has been systematically cleared, as well as evidence that some of the living were murdered by other living. The group surmises that this town is firmly in Hell's territory. This premise is also proven out when the group finds the stores cleared out of anything practically useful. Finding nothing of use in the Red & White or convenience store, the move on to a barbeque restaurant, where Trip takes much of the cooking equipment to use in building a still at some point in the future. They also find the fire station. While it is cleaned out of most practical items, they do manage to scavenge several sets of turnout gear, some hoses, and other equipment. Then, the group moves out of Newport in case Hell's gang is following them.

Moving out of town, the group follows Henry's suggestion to cross Hwy 70 and follow Hibbs Rd. to NC 24. Unfortunately, the group only makes it about 2 miles past Hwy 70 when the RV breaks down. They quickly circle the rest of the vehicles around the RV and Thomas climbs underneath to find the problem. He is almost certain it's a faulty fuel pump. Though they don't have a spare pump, Thomas and Trip think they can put together something that might get them a few miles down the road. A few hundred feet ahead, they can see a church with the tattered remains of some Red Cross tents in the parking lot, along with some signage indicating that this church, St. Jude's By the Sea Lutheran Church according the sign out front, was recently used as an evacuation center, where survivors where transported to Rescue Station LeJeune. Curiously, the day and date on the sign is current.

While Mike scouts the church, Bryce and others who are keeping watch on the road spot a horde of shamblers heading in their direction from the vicinity of Newport. It could possibly be the horde the bicyclist was fleeing a few miles on the other side of town. But could they have followed this far?

Mike watches three men run out of the church through a back door and hop onto a tractor that is parked just behind the church. They are all armed, and by his clothing, one of them is apparently the pastor of St. Jude's. Having experienced relgious zeal back on the ship, Mike waits until the tractor passes him, headed in the direction of the stricken RV, before following quietly and out of sight.

Back at the vehicles, Henry and others have begun trying to take out some of the approaching horde. They are quickly joined by two of the three men from the church, who quickly introduce themselves as Pastor Raymond Bell and Zach Shepherd. The third man from the tractor quickly tells Thomas that they need to get the RV hooked up to the tractor and tow it to his repair shop just down the street, a block behind the church. There they can fire up the generator and work on it without the horde of zombies on their backs. Thomas, Trip, and Mike hook the RV up to the tractor and begin towing it out, while the rest of the group gets in their vehicles to make a run for the church.

Trip gives Mike some of his molotovs and Zack commandeers the group's Dodge Magnum wagon to make a sortie at the approaching horde. He tells Mike to jump in back and leave the hatch open while they make a run at the horde, Zack swerving at the last second so Mike can open fire with his MP-5 and toss molotovs into the horde to buy the rest of the group time to get to the church and move their vehicles around back.

Thomas, Trip, and Mike get the RV towed to his shop and start working on it with Mike's tools and equipment. Mike, it turns out, is a skilled and resourceful mechanic with a well-stocked garage.

Inside the church, the group meets the refugees of St. Jude's. In addition to Pastor Ray and Zach, who was a carpenter before the dead started walking, they meet David and Jean Brooks, along with their two kids, Peter and Greg. Another man who has taken refuge in the church is Joe Reichert, who walks with a four-footed cane, but greets Henry with a huge bear hug when he enters the room. The two served together in Vietnam years ago and more recently worked at the marina together. They also meet Tim Hickman, his daughter Samantha Hickman, and his very pregnant girlfriend, Monica Cartwright. Tim, in his 30's, was a high school teacher before "the event" and Monica, by the looks of things, was a student or former student he knocked up, as she doesn't look to be like she could be much more than 18 if that. Tim's daughter Samantha is very sick with a fever and hallucinations, but when she is checked thoroughly by Fabiana, the doctor finds no evidence of bite marks anywhere. When Samantha meets Kimmy, Fabiana and Bryce's daughter, and Brooke, she calls them by name and tells them she knew they would be coming to find her.

To be continued...

Last edited by DGMiller on Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
Jordan Peacock
Legendary

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to see the update! Fascinating touches, really -- actually putting a location to Hell's former prison, and having the Red Cross tents at the church (hinting at the progression of events before everything fell apart, rather than the default that somehow everyone just went about their business until the zombie hordes came ;D ). I look forward to see the rest, when you find the time.
Seasoned

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jordan, I'm working on the next one. I hope to have both up by Thursday night.
DGMiller
Seasoned

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Season 1, Episode 7

The cast:
Bryce Winters - succesful businessman, taught karate at the YMCA
Thomas Odenson - Marine stationed at Camp LeJeune, on leave

Notes: It was a long road to this session. It took place almost two weeks ago after a nearly two month hiatus, during which I took care of a sick dog I rescued, changed jobs, and dealt with my dad's ongoing health problems. I've never had a game survive a hiatus like that intact, as I usually start something different when we return, but that thought never crossed my mind. I want to find out where this story goes. Thomas' and Sean's players were absent for this session. Also, the map I used for the church is City Set 2 by Project 0 Games. I printed the map sections, hooked them together and laminated them, with each floor separate, so I could overlay them if necessary.

After meeting the refugees of St. Jude's, the group waits in the dark for Thomas, Trip, and Mike to return with the (hopefully) repaired RV. Eleanor Stevenson and Jean Brooks head to the kitchen and begin preparing a meal for everyone to eat before they leave. While they are preparing the meal, Dr. Winters and her sister-in-law (Bryce and Fabiana have long been "surrogate parents" for Bryce's sister, who was a med student at the medical university in Charleston, SC before the "event") attend to Samantha and the extremely pregnant Monica Cartwright in a makeshift infirmary upstairs. Pastor Ray assists them when needed and circulates through the sanctuary where the rest of the survivors are gathered. Henry Stevenson keeps watch on the balcony over the sanctuary through a second floor window with a good view of the parking lot and street.

Mike seeks out Brooke and her friends and asks if they have anything he could take to "escape" for a while. One of them gives him a bit of cocaine, which he snorts discreetly in a dark corner of the building. As his paranoia grows, he joins Henry to keep watch out the second floor window, trembling finger on the trigger of his MP-5.

As they wait, the things that are shambling around outside the church, having followed the group to the building, stop scratching and clawing at the walls and doors and begin to disperse, seemingly sensing that the meal within would be more difficult to obtain and hopefully looking for a more easily obtainable food source. The disconcerting sound of their constant moaning and scratching is gradually replaced by a more ominous sound: the distant, yet steadily approaching sound of engines... motorcycles.

Soon enough, Henry, Mike, and a nervous David Brooks, who has joined them on the balcony lookout, see the approaching Harleys, which are trailed by a couple of battered Humvees and the familiar delivery truck. There is no mistaking the Ghost Riders as they approach the church. As Mike and Henry quietly discuss things, then warn Bryce that Hell is outside, which he already knew by the sound of things, David overhears and starts a commotion, accusing them of bringing death to them all. Bryce orders David back down into the sanctuary with the others, where he immediately begins to spread dissent and fear. Joe Reichert begins to move closer to David, trying to look inconspicuous. Bryce tosses a pistol down to Brooke and tells her to make sure nobody gets in the front door, which is heavily barricaded.

Outside, Hell and his lieutenants are pointing at the church sign, obviously noting the correct day and date, and looking up at the dark church. Finally, Hell uses the loudspeaker on one of the Humvees to hail the church, telling anyone who may be inside that they are only looking for food and shelter and will not harm them. He tells them they are going to begin approaching the church in peace and asks them to grant them entry. They make no move to drop their weapons and Hell begins telling his men what he wants them to do.

In the sanctuary, David Brooks has reached a fever pitch, suggesting that they turn the group over to the bikers since it is them they are after. Bryce, unable to stand any more of his bluster, and beginning to crack under the pressure, hurries down the stairs and tells David to shut up. Joe moves behind David. When Brooks refuses to calm down, Bryce unleashes a devastating right hook to his face. David Brooks crumples to the floor, unconscious. Joe reassures Bryce that he was about to handle the situation just fine on his own.

Meanwhile, things upstairs have gotten complicated. Monica Cartwright is in labor. She is also in great distress. After Pastor Ray and Jessica, Fabiana's sister-in-law, move Samantha to the tub in the adjacent bathroom, Dr. Winters orders the pastor downstairs for more towels. When the labor pains cause Monica to start screaming, the doctor tells Jessica to close the door to muffle her cries.

During the delivery, Dr. Winters notices that the baby starts to move in the wrong direction. She tells Jessica to get the implements ready for an emergency cesarean section, but as she prepares, Monica lets out one final bloodcurdling scream, which is cut off abruptly as her stomach first distends and then ruptures as the thing inside of her tears its way out of her body. The baby... thing... whatever it is seems to grin at Fabiana and takes a swipe at her with abnormally sharp claws. Fabiana dodges back, then lunges at the thing's eye with her scalpel, shredding it, along with a good portion of its cheek. Seemingly growing as it crawls free of Monica's now lifeless form, the thing nimbly hops down to the floor and runs to the closed door with incredible speed. Finding the door closed, it starts clawing and chewing its way through the wood, gouging huge splinters from the door with sharp claws and teeth. Jessica, vomit already streaming down the front of her clothes, recovers from her shock and grabs a nearby length of wood, bringing it down repeatedly on the abomination's head until it finally stops moving.

Out on the balcony, Mike, his senses reeling from the cocaine, hears the awful scream from down the hall and runs to the door, yanking it open to find Fabiana and Jessica hysterical and screaming, and even Samantha screaming from behind the closed bathroom door. He sees Monica's body with her stomach ripped out, but her head intact, and in a moment of extreme clarity, rushes over and puts several rounds from his MP-5 into her head, to prevent her from rising as one of those things.

Downstairs, Bryce restrains Tim Hickman from attending to his young girlfriend as soon as the screaming starts. He knows it is a small room and that his wife will need all the space she can get to deliver the baby. Once Mike rushes in and everyone, both inside and outside the church, hears the gunshots, they run upstairs to find a gruesome scene of carnage.

Back at Mike's shop, Thomas and Mike get the RV running, while Trip sees a plow against the wall, discarded from some tractor, and gets the brilliant idea to attach it to the front of the RV. They bolt and weld the thing. The generator is running, so there is power and light for now. When they shut off the generator and begin to load things up to head back to the church, They hear the gunfire and jump into the RV. Mike takes a final glance around his shop, and Thomas guns the engine, heading back towards the church.

Outside the church, Hell and the rest of the Ghost Riders hear the gunshot and hit the deck. They aren't sure if someone just shot at them, but they're pretty sure the shot came from the building in front of them. They ready their weapons and begin heading cautiously towards the church.

Inside, Bryce starts yelling at Mike. His calm veneer crumbles, and he punches Mike in the face for firing his weapon with the bikers outside. The blow doesn't knock Mike out, but it knocks the fight out of him. Henry warns everyone that they've got trouble, since the bikers heard the gunshots. The spotlights on the Humvees start scanning the building for the source of the shots, and the bikers resume their approach, cautiously and with weapons trained on the building. Beyond the Ghost Riders and the lights of the Humvees, Henry sees something else...

In the weeks since the dead started walking, the appearance of a horde of the shambling things has almost never been a good thing. This is one of those rare exceptions.

The horde that was scratching at the walls of the church a few hours ago returns, likely attracted by the sounds of the cycle engines and maybe even the smell of the bikers' waiting flesh. The horde converges on the bikers, ripping into several of the women before the Ghost Riders even realize what's happening.

Henry shouts a warning to the others that NOW is the time to get out, RV or no RV, and the survivors begin preparing to load the vehicles, including the church's 15-passenger van, which are parked behind the building, out of view of the street.

Thomas steers the RV hard right onto the church lawn, just bringing it up onto two wheels before it settles back down and the headlights illuminate the horde of zombies massed at the front of the church. Trip spots the bikers and feels deep regret that he can't help them in their fight. After all, what has the world become when you can't help your fellow human being against a common enemy? They brace for the impact and the plow cuts through the zombies between the RV and the church, shredding many of the things and crushing them under the wheels of the RV.

Henry, who had volunteered to be the last one out of the building, spots the incoming RV from his perch on the balcony, and yells for Brooke and others to clear the barricades from the front doors. Bryce, Allison, Zach, and Pastor Ray start moving people to the cars out back while Mike (the mechanic) and Trip jump out of the RV as Thomas brings it to a stop just feet from the main entrance to the sanctuary. Brooke, Fabiana, and others begin getting the rest of the survivors out of the church and into the RV. Once everyone is loaded, Pastor Ray takes a last look at the church and the group drives off into the night. From the windows of the RV, they can see the Ghost Riders fighting for their lives against the horde, Hell's face locked into a mad grin over the muzzle flashes from his M-16.

As they drive carefully towards Jacksonville and Rescue Station LeJeune, the convoy must continue to weave around wrecks and abandoned vehicles. At one point, they find that a wreck involving at least five vehicles has completely blocked the road. While Henry and Mike watch for shamblers, Bryce, Trip, Mike the mechanic, Zach, and several others move to clear the roadway and search the vehicles, but first they must dispatch the re-animated driver of one vehicle, a woman who is trapped in the wreck by her seatbelt. Shining a flashlight into the back of the car, they discover her young child, still in its car seat. He is also now one of those things. Before he turned, it is apparent that his mother, in her hunger for warm flesh, ripped open the front of his jumper and the front of his torso. His partially eaten entrails are all over the car between the two of them, her right hand caked in gore.

Trip finds one vehicle that still runs well, a step van. He also finds a few salvageable items in vehicles and loads them into the van.

While the road is being cleared, David Brooks confronts Dr. Winters in the RV about her patient, Tim Hickman's daughter Samantha. He still isn't convinced that she isn't going to turn into one of those things and start trying to make a meal of them. Brooke breaks up the confrontation, and when the road is cleared Bryce and Trip tell David that he and his family are now riding in the church van if they don't want to be left here. Grumbling, the Brooks family moves to the van and the convoy resumes its trek.

As they near the outskirts of Jacksonville, they see the lights of the rescue station just past the VA Hospital. Pulling up at the gate, they are greeted by U.S. Marines in full combat gear, who begin searching them for bites. Happy to finally be in a relatively safe haven, Trip steps out of his truck and strips fully nude in the middle of the street, eager to be searched thoroughly for bites, eliciting laughs and jokes from the Marines, breaking their grim duty for a moment of levity. One by one, the entire group is searched for bites. Dr. Winters advises that Samantha has the flu and is being treated, and that two others in the group, Brooke and Fabiana and Bryce's daughter Kimmy have also been dealing with the flu, but have been successfully treated. The marine in charge tells Fabiana that they are okay to proceed, because they are unbitten.

The marines give what is obviously their standard spiel to all new "guests." The group may proceed to the forward holding area, which is set up like a campground. If they wish to move into the rescue station's main area, they must first pass a full physical with blood test. Once admitted to the main rescue station, they may use the amenities found there, including the care center, the PX (though it isn't stocked like it used to be), and they may also queue up for flights to one of the relocation zones in Colorado. They will be allowed to keep all their weapons to defend themselves while in the forward holding area, which the marines sometimes call the bullpen, and may leave and return, as long as they submit to a bite search each time. These marines are obviously weary. Their duty, this whole mess, has taken a toll on them. Thomas identifies himself as a U.S. Marine, stationed at Camp LeJeune before the world fell apart, and he then helps the group set up camp before reporting for duty.

After the group is safely inside the rescue station, several of the survivors begin to drift off, or sign up for physicals to be admitted to the main rescue station where they can queue up for a flight. Bryce and Henry visit the information office on the fence between the bullpen and the main station to find out any information about their families. Mr. Forthington, the owner of the ill-fated Pinnacle Conquest, departs with his girlfriend, Erica Davis. The group lets him go, since his crimes no longer matter in the general scope of things. As each individual begins the task of deciding what future they may carve out in this grim new world, they begin to make camp, either with the group or on their own, mindful of the fences, marines, and guns that will keep them somewhat safe tonight, as safe as they've been since this whole thing started. They also note that there are nearly as many guns and guards facing inward as there are facing outward. The marines on the walkways and guard towers are obviously prepared and practiced in putting down outbreaks of the things within the bullpen should they occur.

To be continued...
Jordan Peacock
Legendary

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DGMiller wrote:
Season 1, Episode 7

By the way, I like the nomenclature here (season vs. chapter, and episode vs. week). I think I will borrow this for future use, if you don't mind. Smile (I've found reference to "Weeks" to be a bit awkward.)

DGMiller wrote:
The cast:

Wow. Quite a full house!

DGMiller wrote:
plow against the wall, discarded from some tractor, and gets the brilliant idea to attach it to the front of the RV. They bolt and weld the thing.

Woot! The Meatcleaver RIDES AGAIN! Very Happy

DGMiller wrote:
they can see the Ghost Riders fighting for their lives against the horde, Hell's face locked into a mad grin over the muzzle flashes from his M-16.

Yeah, and no doubt Hell will blame our heroes for his woes. ;D

DGMiller wrote:
queue up for flights to one of the relocation zones in Colorado. They will be allowed to keep all their weapons to defend themselves while in the forward holding area, which the marines sometimes call the bullpen, and may leave and return, as long as they submit to a bite search each time.

Heh. This makes me wish I actually knew a little more about military terminology and such. Giving the holding area a nickname like "the bullpen" somehow seems to add another layer of authenticity to the situation. (Well, at least for me, a mere layman!)

Thanks for keeping up with the updates. Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW General Chat & Game Stories All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 4 of 8

Jump to: