Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

[Daring Entertainment] Hellspawn Previews
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW Licensees
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yynderjohn
Novice

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So are you going to have figures or cardboard flats for Hellspawn?
Lee_Szczepanik
Heroic

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That I don't know. While I would like to, it might be a bit cost prohibitive for this setting.

The potentially killing aspect of that is the NPCs. While the Necroleans and Hellspawn can be created as single style graphic archetypes and then repeated (since one Subjugator or Overseer is the same as the next), when we get down to Superheroes and Villians it gets a bit different. Each of those NPCs is entirely unique art, and that would mean needing all that unique art from Aaron or Jordan.

Even something as seemingly similar as power armored heroes would be vastly different. Foxtrot has a fox mottiff, Lei Shen (the villain associated with Chinatown) has power armor based on that Chinese Thunder God's common image, and so forth.

I think that will be a Stretch Goal of the Kickstarter. After all, if the Kickstarter is successful, one thing that guarantees is art for every NPC in the product (something I feel is important to a comic book style setting, but is also very expensive). So, that would mean being able to use that art for figure flats, or at least for a very strong basis for them.
yynderjohn
Novice

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I figured it may be a Stretch goal, sounds reasonable. I don't think you need *every* character illustrated, but the major players sure.
Thanks for all the quick replies today!
Lee_Szczepanik
Heroic

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yynderjohn wrote:
I figured it may be a Stretch goal, sounds reasonable. I don't think you need *every* character illustrated, but the major players sure.

That's what I meant.

One shot minor NPCs wouldn't need art. Wink

yynderjohn wrote:
Thanks for all the quick replies today

Been an easy day (compared to my normal days). Just been awaiting editing to come back tonight on the freebie adventure, and working on a Pathfinder product I am doing for another company.

Other than that, big patch in WoW today in preparation for the Sept 25th expansion, so been messing around with that after putting in my time with Daring and freelance work. I needed a bit of a break! Mr. Green
yynderjohn
Novice

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So when are you launching the Kickstarter?
Lee_Szczepanik
Heroic

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yynderjohn wrote:
So when are you launching the Kickstarter?

The plan is roughly a month after Countdown to Invasion goes live (which is layout with Aaron Acevedo right now). I want people to be interested in the product line, and I'm right now still getting price quotes for some of the Tier rewards.
yynderjohn
Novice

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How do I help whip Aaron Acevedo to work faster Razz
Lee_Szczepanik
Heroic

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yynderjohn wrote:
How do I help whip Aaron Acevedo to work faster Razz

Nah, he works pretty fast. What really slowed us down was GenCon. He's not only a big man at Savage Mojo, but he also works with Pinnacle now. So, GenCon was a solid busy week for him.

Besides, Aaron and I not only work together on Daring Entertainment stuff, but we also work together on non-Daring stuff as well. Yep, I freelance, too. Which would lead me to wonder if I should have my head examined, as I barely have enough time in a day for Daring stuff. Wink

Fortunately, once my current plate of freelance work is done, I'm unlikely to take on anymore for the next 12 months (outside of continuing my Staff Editor position at Triple Ace Games, as I absolutely love reading and editing Wiggy's work and wouldn't give that up for anything). As it stands, I have a solid 6 books to write for Daring Entertainment in the next year: four for Hellspawn, World of the Dead, and the Daring Comics Adventure Game. Plus, we are launching into the ebook market with a Hellspawn mosaic style novel (i.e. linked anthology). While that will be co-marketed to the RPG fans, it won't be mass marketed as a RPG tie-in, though.

Now, keep in mind, not everything I write over those 12 months will be released within those 12 months. There's still art and layout production time. Still, gonna be a busy year, and with no new freelance work being accepted, should help my schedule a lot.
yynderjohn
Novice

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lee,
So you're basically saying we need to whip you more? lol

I'm excited to read all the new Hellspawn products.
Lee_Szczepanik
Heroic

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yynderjohn wrote:
Lee,
So you're basically saying we need to whip you more? lol

Basically, yeah. Mr. Green

yynderjohn wrote:
I'm excited to read all the new Hellspawn products.

Well, if the editors, play testers, and advance copy people are any indication, this line should bring a lot of fun, and a lot of Surprised campaign/story moments to people.

Oh, and here is another teaser of information. In Countdown to Invasion, Ultimate Agenda (the free adventure), and even in the core Plot Point Campaign and Savage Tales, seeds are planted that go beyond the conclusion of the Hellspawn War event. Already just between Countdown and the freebie, we've begun planting the seeds for an upcoming Time Travel event, a major threat from a super artificial intelligence, and questions about some things in the mystic community.

So, "Hellspawn" only refers to the current event. Each one after that will have its own title that reflects what it is about. Wink
Lee_Szczepanik
Heroic

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2012 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hellspawn Preview #4: The Necroleans is now posted!

Included at the end is some much asked for Preview Bonus Material. Wink
Lee_Szczepanik
Heroic

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of our fans ran Hellspawn: Ultimate Agenda at a Convention this past weekend (I believe the Colorado con). That adventure is the freebie due to release about 2 weeks after Countdown to Invasion that can be run as a one-shot at a Con or Game Shop, or easily dropped into an existing Hellspawn campaign. It's a full adventure (not a One-Sheet) that clocks in at 25 manuscript pages counting NPC stats.

Anyway, I got a great report back on it. Apparently all 6 players really enjoyed it. Great news indeed!!
yynderjohn
Novice

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lee_Szczepanik wrote:
Hellspawn Preview #4: The Necroleans is now posted!

Included at the end is some much asked for Preview Bonus Material. Wink

YES!! The stunt mechanic seems like a great, easy way to simulate using a trapping to modify a a characters power (like spiderman's webs being turned into boxing gloves or a shield).
So spend a benny and make a spirit roll modified by how many points you are borrowing times half rounded up?
Take an additional -2 if the power modified is not one normally associated with the power?

Can you use the stunt to mimic/boost any power or just add modifiers to a power?

John
Lee_Szczepanik
Heroic

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yynderjohn wrote:
YES!! The stunt mechanic seems like a great, easy way to simulate using a trapping to modify a a characters power (like spiderman's webs being turned into boxing gloves or a shield).
So spend a benny and make a spirit roll modified by how many points you are borrowing times half rounded up?
Take an additional -2 if the power modified is not one normally associated with the power?

Can you use the stunt to mimic/boost any power or just add modifiers to a power?

John

Well, in addition to the two options you mentioned from the preview, plus the third option that I didn't give the details on but did mention (obtaining a different power entirely by using a Power Stunt to basically mimic the Switchable Power option), there is the fourth option that I actually did forget to mention.

From the book: Powers bought as levels can also have their effect boosted through Power Stunts.

And then we give an example (naturally) on how to do it.

So, yep . . . you can get Power Modifiers you don't have, gain a separate but related power (with the GM's approval) through the Switchable modifier, plus powers bought as levels can also have their effect boosted through Power Stunts.

Clint did a bang-up job on the Stunt rules for us. Very Happy
Garuda
Seasoned

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just caught up with the previews ... looking good. Cool
Lee_Szczepanik
Heroic

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. The book is in the final stretch of layout. Aaron is on the stat section at the end of the book.

Once he's done, I'll go through it and have him make any final tweeks or error corrections (I'll have it back to him within a day), and then it's release time!
quigs
Seasoned

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just in time for my group's next campaign (assuming they like this setting as much as I do).
Lee_Szczepanik
Heroic

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And Hellspawn: Countdown to Invasion is about more than just the Necroleans. There's a huge thing with an extremely powerful supervillain that starts it off.

If advance readers, play testers, and the two editors are any indication (which was basically: wow!), your group will enjoy it if they like superheroes.

Plus, some NPC biographies drop seeds of things to come after the PPC in the main book, which we leave to the GMs to introduce to the players depending upon their group and how "tapped into" the superpowered community they are. So, you should have plenty of material to keep the comic book feel going.
kmelion
Seasoned

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am looking forward to Hellspawn, really really looking forward to it. I am hoping to set up an in store game, but I have noticed there aren't many (I found 1) pregens online for savage supers. I have the SPC and NE, so I can use the ones in there, I was just wanted to see if there were any more. If anyone knows of some floating around, let me know, please? Thanks guys!
Lee_Szczepanik
Heroic

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kmelion wrote:
I am looking forward to Hellspawn, really really looking forward to it. I am hoping to set up an in store game, but I have noticed there aren't many (I found 1) pregens online for savage supers. I have the SPC and NE, so I can use the ones in there, I was just wanted to see if there were any more. If anyone knows of some floating around, let me know, please? Thanks guys!

Although it comes out roughly 2 weeks after Hellspawn: Countdown to Invasion, the free adventure (Hellspawn: Ultimate Agenda) will have six pregens included.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW Licensees All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: