Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Miniaturizing spirit Batteries

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> Deadlands: Hell on Earth & Lost Colony
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ShogaHin
Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:07 pm    Post subject: Miniaturizing spirit Batteries Reply with quote

I have a Junker and I was thinking. Why can't you miniaturize a spirit battery? I think you should be able to. Here's why:

1) Even in RL we can do it, and its only 2012. We're talking another 65 years or so.

If the Marshall wanted to limit this, he could decide that miniaturize can only do up to 50% or any percentage he likes.

Anyone have thoughts on this?

Shoga
Jack_Spade
Novice

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My first thought as to "why not?" is to maintain some semblance of game balance. Not that a 10-drain battery that runs at 150% efficiency (15 drain and requiring a miniaturize roll of 31) is super-over-powering.

My second thought is more mechanical and more... 'realistic' (as the setting allows). It's established that certain things produce energy in various formats; souls, spirits and demons being viable fuel sources. Well it's been stated that larger entities and souls produce more energy - what this does is set a precident that 'energy takes up X space'.

It has been stated though that you can cram larger entities and souls into smaller containers to bleed them of power; this always always has a negative side-effect; a device is more unstable the more off-sized the spirit is. Considering that spirit-batteries have no stability check, what then is the implications of giving them one?
ShogaHin
Novice

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jack_Spade wrote:
My first thought as to "why not?" is to maintain some semblance of game balance. Not that a 10-drain battery that runs at 150% efficiency (15 drain and requiring a miniaturize roll of 31) is super-over-powering.

My second thought is more mechanical and more... 'realistic' (as the setting allows). It's established that certain things produce energy in various formats; souls, spirits and demons being viable fuel sources. Well it's been stated that larger entities and souls produce more energy - what this does is set a precident that 'energy takes up X space'.

It has been stated though that you can cram larger entities and souls into smaller containers to bleed them of power; this always always has a negative side-effect; a device is more unstable the more off-sized the spirit is. Considering that spirit-batteries have no stability check, what then is the implications of giving them one?

Game balance wouldn't be effected to quite the extreme you think.

1) The maximum allowable miniaturize you can do is 90% which would be very hard to do. With 11 as base target number, then 5 per raise you get 56.
And of course, I mentioned the Marshall could just limit this to whatever percentage he/she is more comfortable with.

2) As I stated in my original post, "even in RL we can do it." I meant that there are different grades of batteries even now that are more efficient than what we civilians can get and thats not considering any prototype batteries they are developing.

3) And as you mentioned a precedent that x energy = x space I would disagree. They aren't talking energy, they are talking taking an entity/device and putting it into a smaller space. The energy isn't effected either way.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> Deadlands: Hell on Earth & Lost Colony All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: