Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How Many Wildcards is Enough?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW General Chat & Game Stories
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dracox
Novice

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:34 am    Post subject: How Many Wildcards is Enough? Reply with quote

I've been running a "Modern meets Magic" type of SW game for a few months now and I just can't seem to get a good handle on when I should be throwing wildcard "baddies" vs. minion/extras at my players and how many of each I should throw at them. I know there is the formula/idea in the Deluxe rules to come up with a 'combat rating' but I find that not a very good indicator for coming up with combats being extras or wildcards.

So I guess what I'm asking is are there any good down and dirty off the cuff rules that you guys at Pinnacle use for this? Maybe something like every two WC player characters 1 baddie WC?

Also my gaming group fluctuates a lot from session to session (which is extremely annoying but what can you do) and I'll go from having 3 or 4 wildcard players one session to 7 or 8 the next. So I need to be able to quickly add or pull wildcard/extras. Any suggestions to make my life a bit easier and to make the combats a bit more challenging?
Clint
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:10 am    Post subject: Re: How Many Wildcards is Enough? Reply with quote

dracox wrote:
So I guess what I'm asking is are there any good down and dirty off the cuff rules that you guys at Pinnacle use for this? Maybe something like every two WC player characters 1 baddie WC?

Honestly, no, no real "rule" to this. Just what tends to fit the scenario.

I can say, each Wild Card after the first reduces the chance of another Wild Card. So for instance...

Most fights will have one Wild Card (though the occasional all Extras fight does happen).
Some fights might have two Wild Cards.
An occasional fight might have three.
Rare fights might have four or more.

And that can change depending on the specific characters and the GM's comfort level with running the scenario.

dracox wrote:
Also my gaming group fluctuates a lot from session to session (which is extremely annoying but what can you do) and I'll go from having 3 or 4 wildcard players one session to 7 or 8 the next. So I need to be able to quickly add or pull wildcard/extras. Any suggestions to make my life a bit easier and to make the combats a bit more challenging?

Just change a character who was a planned Wild Card into an Extra. It's really that simple. They can have the exact same Traits and likely abilities, just run them as an Extra.

The number of Extras is going to strongly depend on their capabilities, but if about equivalent to the PCs, I tend to go with 2 Extras per player. The combat rating system can give a pretty good starting point of capability if the GM isn't comfortable eyeballing it though situational effects should be considered if possible too.

Hope that helps.

www.peginc.com
ValhallaGH
Legendary

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 2:28 pm    Post subject: Re: How Many Wildcards is Enough? Reply with quote

dracox wrote:
So I need to be able to quickly add or pull wildcard/extras. Any suggestions to make my life a bit easier and to make the combats a bit more challenging?

I use the following ratios:
Easy fight - Extras, 2 per PC.
Normal fight - Extras, 3 per PC.
Hard fight - Extras, 4 per PC.
Very Hard fight - Extras, 5 per PC.
Insane fight - Extras, 6 per PC.

If I add a Wild Card (1 per 4 PC or equivalent allies) then I treat it as one category higher for my expectations. If I'm feeling mean then I'll give them 1 WC per 2 PCs - and leave in the Extras. And if they've really riled up their foes (and I'm not brain-dead) then I'll make it 1 WC per 1 PC.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW General Chat & Game Stories All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: