Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Junker with a "Lightsaber"?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> Deadlands: Hell on Earth & Lost Colony
View previous topic :: View next topic  
burningcrow
Seasoned

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:21 am    Post subject: Junker with a "Lightsaber"? Reply with quote

A little thought exercise: how would you do a Lightsaber-like device for a Junker? That is, a sword with a blade you can switch on and off. And one that can cut through almost anything ...
Maybe with a version of "Slow burn"?

Other ideas?

Thanks for your input!
Snap_Dragon
Seasoned

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Classic or Reloaded?
shinryu
Seasoned

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 12:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Junker with a "Lightsaber"? Reply with quote

burningcrow wrote:
A little thought exercise: how would you do a Lightsaber-like device for a Junker? That is, a sword with a blade you can switch on and off. And one that can cut through almost anything ...
Maybe with a version of "Slow burn"?

Other ideas?

Thanks for your input!

Well, that's actually not a bad idea: it cuts through anything, but takes the same amount of power points as would take the skyer and does Str + appropriate damage. Clint clarified that slow burn does work against any armored target (even personally armored targets) so I'd think that would be fine. The fact that it's a melee weapon would probably balance out the removal of needing to stand still. It's going to get expensive at 2+ points a whack but ignoring armor is pretty good. This is actually a pretty good way to do Glow Rod too, come to think of it.

You could also have the weapon have two modes, though this could be more appropriate for say a superheated blade or something: one mode using standard Smite, and then using the ability to dial up the armor penetration with the Slow Burn equivalent. Actually, that brings up a rule question...
burningcrow
Seasoned

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Snap_Dragon wrote:
Classic or Reloaded?

Reloaded.
Kilgore
Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clint clarified here that Junkers don't have access to the AB specific powers of sykers, doomsayers, et all. Of course you could house rule it.
ValhallaGH
Legendary

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

burningcrow wrote:
Snap_Dragon wrote:
Classic or Reloaded?

Reloaded.

I'd make it a Veteran device, and give it the stats of the Laser Sword.
That's just about as obscene as the Plasma Blade in Classic.
shinryu
Seasoned

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kilgore wrote:
Clint clarified here that Junkers don't have access to the AB specific powers of sykers, doomsayers, et all. Of course you could house rule it.

Well, yeah. Many house rules are actually good ideas that I wish the creators would incorporate...

Quote:

I'd make it a Veteran device, and give it the stats of the Laser Sword.
That's just about as obscene as the Plasma Blade in Classic.

Yeah, those were good times. Those were good, murderous, covered in trog-ichor good times. It's not my cyborg's fault the government built him to covertly eliminate heavy borgs: he's just using the tools they gave him.

Hope it's in the Companion.

Last edited by shinryu on Wed Jul 18, 2012 4:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
burningcrow
Seasoned

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I'll go with some house ruling and allow the junker to replicate "slow burn".

On the one hand it nicely emulates the properties of Star Wars light sabers, on the other hand it is expensive enough as not to make the device all powerful.

In look and feel this will get closer to "early light sabers", maybe with a steampunky look, maybe with a glove (or even backpack) to contain the power generator ...

This guy definitely is going in the direction of Obi-Wan ... Only that he's got blueprints of a spaceship on his robe ... Wink
Clint
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rather than use a one shot ranged power to replicate a continuous melee attack, what about using Damage Field instead?

Drop the effect of doing damage to anyone who strikes the character, change Range to Self, and you have a 2d6 or 2d8 melee attack that you can use for touch or Strength-based attacks.

With the loss of the "damage anyone who attacks me" and Range change, make it a Heavy Weapon with AP equal to half Smarts. Against objects, AP is doubled for each additional round the "laser-sword" is held in contact.

So a junker with a d8 Smarts would have AP 4 for most attacks. If he wanted to burn through a door, he has AP 4 the first round, AP 8 the second, AP 16 the third, AP 32 the fourth, AP 64 the fifth, and so on (though it should become moot pretty quickly).

www.peginc.com
burningcrow
Seasoned

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clint wrote:
Rather than use a one shot ranged power to replicate a continuous melee attack, what about using Damage Field instead?

Drop the effect of doing damage to anyone who strikes the character, change Range to Self, and you have a 2d6 or 2d8 melee attack that you can use for touch or Strength-based attacks.

With the loss of the "damage anyone who attacks me" and Range change, make it a Heavy Weapon with AP equal to half Smarts. Against objects, AP is doubled for each additional round the "laser-sword" is held in contact.

So a junker with a d8 Smarts would have AP 4 for most attacks. If he wanted to burn through a door, he has AP 4 the first round, AP 8 the second, AP 16 the third, AP 32 the fourth, AP 64 the fifth, and so on (though it should become moot pretty quickly).

Very cool approach! I would never have thought of this ... but then, this is the difference between a Seasoned Savage and a Legendary one ... Wink

So you would do a normal melee attack to "apply" the power (cause damage) whenever necessary and that's it?
Or would you activate the device in the first round of use, then strike with it in the 3 consecutive rounds (using Fighting, I suppose)?
Would you add the character's strength to the damage or is it flat 2D6/2D8?

I guess I still have to think of a better name ... maybe "Static Plasma-Flux Generator Mk I" would be fitting ...
Clint
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

burningcrow wrote:
So you would do a normal melee attack to "apply" the power (cause damage) whenever necessary and that's it?
Or would you activate the device in the first round of use, then strike with it in the 3 consecutive rounds (using Fighting, I suppose)?
Would you add the character's strength to the damage or is it flat 2D6/2D8?

Other than the changes I mentioned, it would work just like Damage Field. Takes an action to activate, and then they character can do damage with melee attacks exactly as listed for Damage Field (including the Touch attack option, which I think fits this usage perfectly as well).

www.peginc.com
burningcrow
Seasoned

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great! Thanks, Clint!
shinryu
Seasoned

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

burningcrow wrote:
Great! Thanks, Clint!

Well, throw on a radiation trapping and I think we have a glow rod too...
ShogaHin
Novice

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 11:27 pm    Post subject: Junker Lasersword (lightsaber) Reply with quote

I built one for Classic but the stats are below. Its really expensive to run in spirit mode but otherwise not bad. Spirit Blade ignores armor and only effects living things. You could have an additional setting for cutting through things using the temperature power. Check out nuke option.

Energy Blade (Revised)

Size 2
Structural 5
Slots 16
Durability 5/1
Load 1

Damage Str+3D8
DB +2
Speed 1
Drain 6/rnd (60/rnd Spiritual)
Stability 16 +2/raise
STR+3d8

Shield
TN: 5
Mechanical: 10%
Structural: 30%
Drain: Special
Slots: 6

Selector Switch
Slots : 1

Spirit Converter (Gun)
TN: 9
Stability: 16
Electronic: 20%
Mechanical: 20%
Slots : 3
Drain : Normal drain x10

Weaponsmith (Gun)
TN: 3
Stability: 18
Electronic: 10%
Structural: 10%
Drain: Special/round
Slots: 6
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> Deadlands: Hell on Earth & Lost Colony All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: