Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Guts in Hell on Earth Reloaded

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> Deadlands: Hell on Earth & Lost Colony
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TommyBrownell
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 7:38 pm    Post subject: Guts in Hell on Earth Reloaded Reply with quote

Yeah, I know that Guts is an Edge in Hell on Earth Reloaded. Just wondering why the skill was removed when it is still present in Deadlands Reloaded, and the design notes for Deluxe said it would still be around as a setting rule when appropriate?

Hell on Earth is supposed to be harsher than The Weird West (Fate Chips replaced with bennies), is the populace just that much jaded as well? Is this also why Tale Tellin' has a smaller benefit than it does in the Weird West?

Do I win a No Prize?
Demonicuss Krinn
Seasoned

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it was explained in the book and on the forums here, that yes, it's kinda like that. It's the difference between, to use two other Savage settings, Realms of Cthluhu and Weird War 2. In RoC, the dark and evilness isn't overt, in the open. Most of the time the characters live in the real world, until they get exposed to the darkness, the alien, the threat. That's when Guts comes into play, to represent a character's inner fortitude/mental strength/whatever against the unknown. WW2, the characters are in the warzone, and are exposed to dark, disturbing imagery and things on a regular basis. That's why WW2 doesn't have the Guts skill - they get jaded, or insulated against the bad stuff to a degree.

So it is on HoE:R - the survivors have become insulated to the general atmosphere of the Deadlanded world.
ValhallaGH
Legendary

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hell On Earth Reloaded pg. 66 wrote:
Fear Levels are still used but instead of characters using the Guts skill, they make regular Fear checks (also described in Savage Worlds). Two new Edges replace the Grit system from Deadlands, named appropriately Guts and Grit. Both of these reduce the penalties Fear Levels usually inflict on these tests.
These rules werenít transferred to the Wasted West because itís a scarier era. Things changed after the Reckoning. Life is a little harsher for the average waster and most have learned to live with it a little better than those first experiencing the horrors of the Reckoners over two centuries past.

Emphasis mine.
TommyBrownell
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ValhallaGH wrote:
Hell On Earth Reloaded pg. 66 wrote:
Fear Levels are still used but instead of characters using the Guts skill, they make regular Fear checks (also described in Savage Worlds). Two new Edges replace the Grit system from Deadlands, named appropriately Guts and Grit. Both of these reduce the penalties Fear Levels usually inflict on these tests.
These rules werenít transferred to the Wasted West because itís a scarier era. Things changed after the Reckoning. Life is a little harsher for the average waster and most have learned to live with it a little better than those first experiencing the horrors of the Reckoners over two centuries past.

Emphasis mine.

Duh.

I completely missed that when I *reviewed* the thing. That does make the reduced effect of Tale Tellin' make sense, depressingly enough.
jpk
Legendary

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TommyBrownell wrote:
I completely missed that when I *reviewed* the thing. That does make the reduced effect of Tale Tellin' make sense, depressingly enough.

Well, I suspect we thought so, too. Mr. Green
TommyBrownell
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good thing no one reads my blog.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> Deadlands: Hell on Earth & Lost Colony All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: