Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Paizo's Pathfinder Pawns

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW Miniatures, Terrain, and other Game Aides
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sirkerry
Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:24 pm    Post subject: Paizo's Pathfinder Pawns Reply with quote

Has anyone seen the 'pawns' Pazio included in the Pathfinder Beginner Box (and apparently plan to release many more of)?

I've been using them for my D&D-esque Savage Worlds game and found that I like them a lot better then the generally flimsy print your own figure flats and was wondering if anyone knew of any other companies planning on producing such pawns/figure flats?
Prepping: several different scenarios
Playing: New Year's War Playtest
Bavix
Seasoned

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 4:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not just make your own? Here's all the stuff you need.

http://www.boardgamedesign.com/pages/go_shopping_2011/chipboard_pieces_combined.htm

http://www.boardgamedesign.com/pages/go_shopping_2011/stands.htm

Also, check out:

http://onemonk.com/

http://www.seven-wonders.co.uk/paperfriendsindex.html
Heroic

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:31 am    Post subject: Re: Paizo's Pathfinder Pawns Reply with quote

sirkerry wrote:
Has anyone seen the 'pawns' Pazio included in the Pathfinder Beginner Box (and apparently plan to release many more of)?

I've been using them for my D&D-esque Savage Worlds game and found that I like them a lot better then the generally flimsy print your own figure flats and was wondering if anyone knew of any other companies planning on producing such pawns/figure flats?

Make your flats out of 110lb cardstock, or make them into tubes instead of tri-folds. Trust me at 110 cardstock they are not flimsy. I've got an army of 40k orks made out of cardstock tubes that I've used for years.
Other Mike
Seasoned

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 6:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Paizo's Pathfinder Pawns Reply with quote

robert4818 wrote:
Make your flats out of 110lb cardstock, or make them into tubes instead of tri-folds. Trust me at 110 cardstock they are not flimsy.

I'll second that! Even 80 lb is not bad, but the 110 lb is better. Same for printing out battle maps and the like.

But as far a pawns/tokens go ... in addition to the sources above, check out craft stores as well.

While I prefer miniatures, a friend of mine uses small wooden "pogs," with a picture of the character's (or monster's) face glued one one side. A lot of the older D&D tokens from when Paizo was still doing the Dragon Magazine are good for this treatment.
sirkerry
Novice

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bavix wrote:
Why not just make your own? Here's all the stuff you need.

Because my time available for gaming is limited and I'd rather actually play games with my friends than spend a bunch of that time pursuing mostly solitaire hobbies like painting miniatures or papercrafts (making paper miniatures or pawns).
sirkerry
Novice

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 3:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Paizo's Pathfinder Pawns Reply with quote

robert4818 wrote:

Make your flats out of 110lb cardstock, or make them into tubes instead of tri-folds. Trust me at 110 cardstock they are not flimsy. I've got an army of 40k orks made out of cardstock tubes that I've used for years.

I've printed up some of the trifold flats on 110lb cardstock and in my opinion compared to the cardboard pawns that Pazio produced they are flimsy.
Vinzent
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's why I use pogs (typically glued on chipboard or wood circles from Michael's). They are durable, two-sided so you can just flip them for shaken status, they store well, and they don't fall over.

Also standees on a flat map always seem out of place.

By the way, if you buy one of those craft circle cutters DO NOT try to use it on chipboard. I did and the METAL broke on the cutter.

Last edited by Vinzent on Fri Aug 03, 2012 4:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
Other Mike
Seasoned

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sirkerry wrote:

Because my time available for gaming is limited and I'd rather actually play games with my friends than spend a bunch of that time pursuing mostly solitaire hobbies like painting miniatures or papercrafts (making paper miniatures or pawns).

Yeah ... that's sort of why I have so many unpainted miniatures. Smile Plus I have other hobbies as well. I enjoy painting the miniatures, but it's usually low on my list of priorities ... unless I'm coming up on Con season.

Paper ones, on the other hand, take very little time, unless creating artwork from scratch, doing the 3D terrain or the like.

Last edited by Other Mike on Fri Aug 03, 2012 4:46 pm; edited 2 times in total
Other Mike
Seasoned

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 4:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Paizo's Pathfinder Pawns Reply with quote

sirkerry wrote:
I've printed up some of the trifold flats on 110lb cardstock and in my opinion compared to the cardboard pawns that Pazio produced they are flimsy.

Agreed that they are not as sturdy as the ones Paizo makes, but I'd hardly call them flimsy. The ones I have made have gone through many a game with no trouble. Oh well ... like you wrote: "in my opinion." Smile
Other Mike
Seasoned

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vinzent wrote:

Chuckle, to me, that's just, well, normal. The way things have been done for my 30+ years of gaming.

This "newfangled" 3D terrain is nice, and I am trying to have fun with it ... another of my hobbies is building models, so the cross-over is nice ... but a flat map with miniatures? That's just normal. Smile
farik
Seasoned

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're too lazy to make your own you can always check out these

http://stores.ebay.com/Matts-Pastimes/_i.html?_nkw=wooden&submit=Search&_sid=837536
kronovan
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've pretty much explored the whole spectrum of possible options for tabletop gaming characters - painted lead and resin figs, created my own trifolds, bought and assembled pregen trifolds, made and used tokens, used prepainted figs from a plethora of manufacturers. I also have limited hobby time outside of actually GM'ing a campaign. IMO the Paizo figs in the Pathfinder starter box are good enough to just about justify the full purchase of the box. I've also uses some of the Pathfinder figs made by Wizkids and those have worked equally well along side all my other figs.

Vinzent wrote:

IMO that very much depends on the gamers at your table. If like my group, you have players that are experienced with miniature games that put figs on 2D maps -i.e. BattleLore, Battle Cry, Star Wars Miniatures, BattleTech, etc.- they'll feel right at home doing the same for an RPG. I even freely mix 3D terrain objects on my 2D maps and they've never really felt out of place.
Stan Shinn
Novice

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've come to like 110 lb cardstock folded in two and glued with a gluestick using these resources:

Figure Flats:

http://www.seven-wonders.co.uk/paperfriendsindex.html (Free and awesome!)
http://www.pigames.net/store/default.php?cPath=27 (Commercial)

Figure Flat Stands:

https://www.rolcogames.com/product.php?id=83&catid=9
http://www.mrchips.net/catalog/universal-card-stand-1000-pcsbag
http://www.pigames.net/store/default.php?cPath=27_96

BUT, if you really want to match the Paizo pawn look and feel precisely, I've got a tutorial here to do just that:

http://rpghacker.com/rpg-tools/diy-pathfinder-beginner-box-style-pawns/
sirkerry
Novice

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Other Mike wrote:

Yeah ... that's sort of why I have so many unpainted miniatures. Smile Plus I have other hobbies as well. I enjoy painting the miniatures, but it's usually low on my list of priorities ... unless I'm coming up on Con season.

I used to enjoy painting miniatures, but with the arthritis in my hands I just don't find in an enjoyable experience anymore.
sirkerry
Novice

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

farik wrote:
If you're too lazy to make your own you can always check out these

http://stores.ebay.com/Matts-Pastimes/_i.html?_nkw=wooden&submit=Search&_sid=837536

Farik, thanks those wooden horse tokens available there were solution to a problem that had been vexing me for a week or so.
sirkerry
Novice

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stan Shinn wrote:
I've come to like 110 lb cardstock folded in two and glued with a gluestick using these resources:

snipped

BUT, if you really want to match the Paizo pawn look and feel precisely, I've got a tutorial here to do just that:

http://rpghacker.com/rpg-tools/diy-pathfinder-beginner-box-style-pawns/

I'll have to give the 110 lb cardstock folded in two a try and see what I think of it. Thanks for the awesome tutorial on how to create Pathfinder-style pawns.
mcbobbo
Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any updates during the intervening months?
Stan Shinn
Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcbobbo wrote:
Any updates during the intervening months?

Read the comments on my blog post here -- some various folks have done some experimenting and you might find something useful:

http://rpghacker.com/rpg-hobby-games/diy-pathfinder-beginner-box-style-pawns/
mcbobbo
Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't mean to detract from the rpghacker stuff. It looks great. I have two nits to pick with it, though:

1) What about using the Paizo stands? I have roughly a billion of them and get more with each box I buy.

2) I cannot use an exacto knife like that. Not a chance. Fingers would be lost and I would never be satisfied with the outcome.

So I am still shopping for a method...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW Miniatures, Terrain, and other Game Aides All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: