Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Reapers Kickstarter
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW Miniatures, Terrain, and other Game Aides
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JackMann
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reapers Kickstarter Reply with quote

Popping in because I thought this might be of interest to some Savages.

Reaper is holding a Kickstarter for their Bones line of plastic minis. They've got some very nice rewards going, and it's got some pretty decent momentum going. Already funded, so you know you'll get your reward. I'm currently in for $120 (Vampire level, plus giants and the dragon that's coming up).

Find it here!
DHRDawg
Seasoned

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a Bones figure (the Purple Worm) to use in my Gencon game and man they are great. They are cheaper, easy to drill into and the quality is great. I might get into this Kickstarter.
Cryonic
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As much as I love minis, I just don't have the time, patience or space to keep/paint all these miniatures. I've started to realize that it is so much easier to use figure flats or just tokens to represent the combatants on the field of battle.

Savage Worlds Tales: http://www.daemonstorm.com/category/Categories/Role-playing/Savage-Worlds
Snate56
Legendary

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wimp. You're not a true connysew...connisew...coni...aficionado until you have a pile of lead at least a foot high.

SteveN
Cryonic
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Snate56 wrote:
Wimp. You're not a true connysew...connisew...coni...aficionado until you have a pile of lead at least a foot high.

SteveN

I've been gaming for longer than I'm willing to admit. I've lost more lead than that in all these years due to moving almost every single year until recently. Prices of new figures have pushed them out of the range I consider reasonable to be able to tote around from game to game. I have a whole box of the D&D minis and I've found that even with them organized in containers by type (orcs together, humans together, etc...) it takes far longer to pull out the needed ones for a combat than just tossing some plastic discs on the table of different colors and telling the players what each color is. Plus the discs go back into a small tube and 10 of those tubes (of about 40 discs in each) cost about the price of 3 metal minis.
Also, the discs can be used for any genre, which is good as I like lots of games other than the typical, over the top, fantasy setting...

Savage Worlds Tales: http://www.daemonstorm.com/category/Categories/Role-playing/Savage-Worlds
Jordan Peacock
Legendary

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cryonic wrote:
Prices of new figures have pushed them out of the range I consider reasonable to be able to tote around from game to game.

Well, one point of the Bones range is to get the prices back down to something reasonable. I suppose it just shows my age, but I remember when minis were $1.50-$2.50 from the non-Games-Workshop lines. Sure, there's been some scale creep, and the overall sculpt quality has gotten better, but now it seems like the typical figure price is around $6+, and I don't THINK general inflation accounts for all of that.

Still, I sympathize with the need to keep it simple. If discs or pawns work for you and your players, then that's great. Smile

As for myself, I guess I'm just a sucker for the allure of shiny little 3D toys to put on the table to represent the heroes and what they're up against -- so this venture is a welcome thing for me.

I really don't do traditional fantasy all that much (the closest I get to "fantasy" would be in my Pirates games, and Wonderland No More these days), so I'm hoping that later in the Kickstarter they might branch out a little into Chronoscope figures.
Legendary

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I can't begin to tell you how many games are "on hold" because I can't find just the right figure(s)! It's a case of shoot the engineers and put the damn thing into operation. But then I see a really cool figure and the adventure ideas just fly! ...and it typically gets tossed up on top of my pile of lead!
...oh well...

But then I'd have to find just the right pawns...

SteveN
Jordan Peacock
Legendary

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Snate56 wrote:
Yeah, I can't begin to tell you how many games are "on hold" because I can't find just the right figure(s)!

Well, that's one reason I resort to kit-bashing/converting a lot. Very Happy

Really, though, I often run games based on what I DO have miniatures for. If I run a D&D game, I'm not going to roll on an encounter table then put proxies on the table for some random monster, when I've got so many perfectly good encounters I *do* have the minis for.

(But then, some guy comes to the table with a druid and uses summon nature's ally or shapeshift and picks one of a bazillion creatures I don't have a mini for -- or, in the case of nature's ally, don't have ENOUGH for. And then someone makes a wisecrack about the proxy and ... GRRR! GM FURY! Wink )
Legendary

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jordan Peacock wrote:
And then someone makes a wisecrack about the proxy and ... GRRR! GM FURY! Wink )

That's when I use the DM's Best Friend.
Random, Maximized Meteor Swarm on or around the character of the player(s) that taunted me.
Why? Because wizards have no sense of proportion and no sense of right and wrong. Twisted Evil
(Not really. But a man can dream.)
Snate56
Legendary

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jordan Peacock wrote:
(But then, some guy comes to the table with a druid and uses summon nature's ally or shapeshift and picks one of a bazillion creatures I don't have a mini for -- or, in the case of nature's ally, don't have ENOUGH for. And then someone makes a wisecrack about the proxy and ... GRRR! GM FURY! Wink )

Well, then I would rule that the creature has to be "in range" to be summoned, and that one just doesn't feel available! And I require that the shapeshifter having at least seen the creature he's shifting into and if it doesn't exist...
Laughing

SteveN
Cryonic
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess you could always require the player to bring the mini with them... but then you're limiting your game to what minis companies, like Reaper, are willing/able to put out... Why put such an artificial limitation on the imagination and story that is being created...

The Dread Polack
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm planning for this to be my first kickstarter. I just need to decide what I want. I was going to do the Vampire level. All those minis seemed like a great deal, which it is, but then I realized how many unpainted minis I have sitting around. Smile I think I'm going to try to grab some of the cooler or bigger minis, like the sophie pack or the frost giants. I still have a couple weeks to decide.
greyseerco
Seasoned

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Dread Polack wrote:
I'm planning for this to be my first kickstarter. I just need to decide what I want. I was going to do the Vampire level. All those minis seemed like a great deal, which it is, but then I realized how many unpainted minis I have sitting around. :) I think I'm going to try to grab some of the cooler or bigger minis, like the sophie pack or the frost giants. I still have a couple weeks to decide.

Just remember to get the Frost Giants and other large figures you have to have a minimum of the Vampire level (bold is mine for emphasis)

"When this level of funding is reached, you can get both of these amazing models just by increasing your Vampire or Undertaker Pledge by $10. That's right BOTH figures for $10."
VonDan
Legendary

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I gather that to get lots of excitement for a kick starter to fund one of my projects that are mostly kid centric with a goal of inspiring nerdy girls to use there imagination i have to also offer naked demon chick minis
mac40k
Seasoned

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can tell I've been playing a lot of Mass Effect 3 when my first thought upon seeing this thread title was, "Someone is doing a kickstarter for making Reapers figs!" Embarassed

...and Jordan, I'm old enough to have numerous Citadel (GW) Goblins in my collection that I bought in blister packs of 5 at the retail price of $3.00. GW figs weren't always the most expensive on the shelf.
The Dread Polack
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, yes, you have to buy the Vampire or Undertaker level (tons of minis) before you can get the frost giants, or indeed, many of the other bonus minis.

Really, it looks like all we're reallying doing here is commiting to buy a number of minis (or hats, or shirts, or what have you) at roughly regular price anyway, so really it doesn't matter what deal you go for, as long as it's something you'll use.

still have more than 3 weeks to decide, but I think I'll try to grab something limited or just plain fun to paint.
Other Mike
Seasoned

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went for the $15 level. 36 miniatures ... granted they are just monsters, but still. Most miniatures are now in the $3-$6 range. The $100+ levels are also interesting ... but since this is already going through, I think I'll just wait and get the specific ones I actually want rather than everything.

Regarding the tokens, etc. Hey if that works for you, great. I find it rather boring though. And if I'm playing a game at a con and the GM just throws down generic tokens to use, I'm usually disappointed ... like they are just phoning it in. Give me a good adventure AND something to look at. Smile

For normal games, as a player, I bring my own miniature. If I'm the GM, I just bring what I need ahead of time, and improvise if I'm missing something.

And yeah, I have wayyyy to many miniatures, as I have been buying them for 30+ years now. My main issue with them is not the use of, but finding the time to paint them.
JackMann
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a quick update. Vampire level is up to 110 plastic minis and the metal Sophie. The optionals include two pairs of giants, the massive Ebonwrath, another pair of dragons, a three pack of humanoid monsters, two paint sets, mini carrying case, and a twenty-pack of orcs. In the wings are a pair of archdemons and a six-pack of hero figures.

Momentum on this project's been pretty incredible, and the deal's only getting better.
Jordan Peacock
Legendary

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm pretty happy about the see-through plastic green wraiths and orange fire elementals being added ... especially since they declared that the stretch-goal extras can be purchased separately (so I can get EVEN MORE translucent-plastic ghosts, perfect for Savage Ghostbusters Wink ).
Seasoned

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah ... I broke down and changed my support level to a higher one. Just too good a deal now to stay where I was ... especially since I had added money for some of the extras.

I really like the way they are running this, allowing you to purchase extras in addition to what you get at your support level. I fear I will be spending even more by the time this is over. Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW Miniatures, Terrain, and other Game Aides All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: