Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Reapers Kickstarter
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW Miniatures, Terrain, and other Game Aides
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JackMann
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vampire's up to 116 minis, plus the metal Sophie. Latest stretch goal might make it of much more interest to Savage: They're adding in ten of their Chronoscope minis into the mix. Cowboys, steampunks, modern-day, pulp... Oh, and some manner of cyborg gorilla. If you can't come up with a use for that, you aren't trying.

This is just an irresponsible level of value.
Jordan Peacock
Legendary

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CHRONOSCOPE AT LAST!

My only regret is that with their first offering of Chronoscope figures, they're mostly "uniques." The Nova Trooper they've included is the sergeant, not one of the regular rank-and-file riflemen, for instance. However, I suppose I could convert an extra sergeant so that he's not holding his rifle up in the air like that. Hmm. Maybe that gorilla could be some sort of Kroid mad-science creation for ROTD. And I can definitely use the cowboys for Deadlands (maybe even Dita the Steampunk Witch). So ... hey, these are all great, the more I think about it. Very Happy I am very happy about Chronoscope making it into the Kickstarter!

I notice that all the Bones Chronoscope figures are on "broccoli bases" instead of being tabbed. I guess that shouldn't be such a big deal since I end up re-basing most of mine on 25mm round bases anyway, but I wonder why they decided on that approach.
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, hopefully the marines just revealed will help assuage your need for troops.
Jordan Peacock
Legendary

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JackMann wrote:
Well, hopefully the marines just revealed will help assuage your need for troops.

I am so HAPPYYYYYYYY! Very Happy I've already got the IMEF troopers in metal, but I'll be happy to add some more plastics, and do a bit of converting to mix them up a bit. (Some head turns, turn someone into a medic, etc.)

Now I just need some aliens, cyborgs, killer robots, etc., for them to blow to smithereens now (e.g., Bathalians, Kulathians, XAIRobots, Cyber-Reavers, or maybe, if all else fails, some Sliggs).
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm pretty sure these guys are going to end up with around $200 from me. I bought one of the bones minis so far to check on its quality, and I'm pretty happy with it, although I am yet to paint it. Before I decide to spend that much and end up with 116+ minis that I don't really like, I should paint it up and see how it goes.

Otherwise, this is just about the most awesome miniatures deal I've ever seen. In addition to the giant pile of Bones, the metal minis you can get are still at a really great price. I really dig the giants and the dragons, and the carrying case for only $25 is something Im definitely going to grab.

I've already got so many unpainted minis, not sure what I'm going to do with all of these. It's not a bad problem to have, though Very Happy
Jordan Peacock
Legendary

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I really like about Bones is that they're perfect for conversions. I can casually "shave" details off and easily carve where it would be a major effort with pewter.

For instance, to go along with my IMEF troopers, I decided to pick up a #77009 "Werewolf" (plastic version of "Jean DuChamps, Werewolf") and transform it into another member of my IMEF team.

Reaper Bones #77009 Werewolf - work-in-progress

Cutting it off of the "broccoli base" was ridiculously easy. Drilling pinning holes was a little bit fiddly due to the twist of the plastic, but since then I've learned of better methods (i.e., either punching or heating a needle to melt a hole for a pinning wire).

The plastic keeps a texture very well, even though it looks blobby in my photographs due to the ever-so-faint translucence of the plastic (since I didn't bother base-coating it; it already seems to hold acrylic paint pretty well as-is). I had no trouble getting Apoxie Sculpt to get a good anchor on it, with some super glue as necessary.

Reaper Bones #77009 IMEF Hybrid Soldier Conversion - "DuChamps"

So, with a bit of putty and a paint job, I was able to turn the werewolf into a new member of my IMEF squad, "DuChamps." Voila!

I plan on running a Savage Worlds "bug hunt" sort of scenario using my whole IMEF squad, but I haven't yet settled upon any particular Savage Setting (so right now it's just "generic sci-fi").
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the pinning tip. What sort of glue works best on these?
Cryonic
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So many minis, so little time...

Savage Worlds Tales: http://www.daemonstorm.com/category/Categories/Role-playing/Savage-Worlds
Jordan Peacock
Legendary

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Dread Polack wrote:
Thanks for the pinning tip. What sort of glue works best on these?

Well, one thing I learned quickly is what DOES NOT work: regular model glue. Model hobby glue (the sort that "melts" model plastic slightly to get a bond) doesn't interact with this, and any holding power is simply from drying and caking in place -- which, in other words, isn't much.

Ordinary "super glue" (AKA cyanoacrylate -- I just looked that up since I wasn't sure about the proper name) works best.
Seasoned

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

broccoli base???

Reaper claims the bones take paint well, without using primer. I have not tried painting one yet, but that would be a nice time saver.

I tend to rebase my minies on 20mm bases, using the 25mm only when 20 does not work. I like the way they fit on whatever I have on the table, and they fit better in the Chessex mini case I take to Con's.
Jordan Peacock
Legendary

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Other Mike wrote:
broccoli base???

That's a nickname I learned on the Reaper site for those default bases that often come on figures where it's just a mound of metal/plastic/whatever with a bunch of pin-prick texturing that, if painted up, might roughly suggest a mound of grass or dirt or whatever, depending on how you paint it. It's not terribly exciting, though; usually if I have such a figure, I'll remove it from such a base and stick it on something new, or else apply some putty and build up around it to add more visual interest. (E.g., turn it into a flat surface and "plank" texture for a Pirates game, or stick the whole thing on a round flat 25mm base and paint the flat surface around it as "water" and decorate the original base as if it were the edge of a beach.)

Other Mike wrote:
Reaper claims the bones take paint well, without using primer. I have not tried painting one yet, but that would be a nice time saver.

Yes, I've found that the craft acrylics I use bond just fine to the plastic. In fact, I find it easier to paint the plastics than metals; when I am painting metal minis, even with an initial (and essential) base coat, I have to take great care not to TOUCH anything on the figure itself, or else there might be wear off the high points and I have to spend a lot of final touch-up work before I can give the figure a good final clear-coat and be done with it. The plastic figures, for whatever reason, seem to be far more forgiving. (I have found this to be the case with many other types of soft-plastic miniatures, however, so it's not unique to Reaper plastics. It's just that the Reaper plastic also has the advantage of being BRIGHT WHITE to start with, which makes for a much better undercoat.)

Other Mike wrote:
I tend to rebase my minies on 20mm bases, using the 25mm only when 20 does not work. I like the way they fit on whatever I have on the table, and they fit better in the Chessex mini case I take to Con's.

I've been tempted to follow the lead of "Froggy the Great" and stick miniatures on pennies. Smile For now, though, I tend to base them depending on ... whatever I have at hand, really. For RPGs, I can get away with a lot of variation in bases, but I try to err on making them smaller.

Truth be told, I'm not fond of the Chronoscope 30mm round bases, after trying to use them. It seems like it's not that much difference between 25mm round and 30mm round, but it seems as if I have a lot more difficulty trying to place miniatures on my pirate ships with them. So perhaps the move to "broccoli bases" isn't that big of a deal with the Chronoscope Bones. I just think it'd be nice if they'd sell a few cheap plastic decorative bases as well (say, a pack of "sci-fi floors," a pack of "dungeon floors," etc.). But then, I have no idea how many people would really care much about that sort of thing.
Seasoned

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Broccoli base ... got it. Smile I tend to file those down fairly thin, then epoxy them to the base I'm using.

Yeah, I know what you mean about having to be very careful about paint on metal miniatures, before the final clear coat. It's also somewhat dependent on the paint I'm using as well, though not by brand.

Just bought my first bones miniature. I was surprised at how flexible the plastic was. No problems with paint cracking?

Jordan Peacock wrote:
Truth be told, I'm not fond of the Chronoscope 30mm round bases, after trying to use them. It seems like it's not that much difference between 25mm round and 30mm round, but it seems as if I have a lot more difficulty trying to place miniatures on my pirate ships with them. So perhaps the move to "broccoli bases" isn't that big of a deal with the Chronoscope Bones. I just think it'd be nice if they'd sell a few cheap plastic decorative bases as well (say, a pack of "sci-fi floors," a pack of "dungeon floors," etc.). But then, I have no idea how many people would really care much about that sort of thing.

Agreed on the Chronoscope bases. Various companies do make alternate bases though. One that quickly came to mind is:

http://www.hfminis.co.uk/shop?category=accessories~resin-bases

Though they are across the pond, so shipping is a little higher.
Jordan Peacock
Legendary

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Other Mike wrote:
Broccoli base ... got it. Smile I tend to file those down fairly thin, then epoxy them to the base I'm using.

That's a good idea. Here, though, instead of filing the whole way, you'd probably do better slicing off the top with a box-cutter knife or a hobby knife. (Disclaimer: I haven't tried this myself; I've only removed the figures from the bases entirely.)

Other Mike wrote:
Just bought my first bones miniature. I was surprised at how flexible the plastic was. No problems with paint cracking?

None that I've experienced, and I've played around with flexing the limbs to test the rigidity of the plastic, but I haven't done any outright "stress-testing." I really haven't had a problem with paint cracking on plastic miniatures; I don't really have a theory as to why, compared to pewter miniatures. I'm using fairly cheap acrylic craft paints.

Other Mike wrote:
Agreed on the Chronoscope bases. Various companies do make alternate bases though.

Yep. Some of them are pretty neat. Smile I've mostly used Warcast Studios decorative resin-cast bases -- particularly 25mm round "industrial" bases for generic sci-fi floors for my Slipstream and my IMEF troopers (with the exception of my werewolf conversion, for which I used an overturned Clix base with some salvaged plastic junk for decor). But then, I'm a bit biased because they're made locally, so I don't have to worry about shipping/handling costs.
Heroic

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, finally decided to bite the bullet.

140 mini's for 100 bucks. Simply couldn't pass it up. Damn you reaper for making the deal too good....
JackMann
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slightly more than that, Robert. Here's a quick breakdown of how much is available:

The basic bones pledge has 168 bones figures. The revealed goals bring this to 180. Plus Sophie in metal, and Mr. Bones with your order (I don't count him with the other figures because you only get him once per pledge, not per Bones order).

All optionals for Vampire and Undertaker:
170 for six giants, six dragons, two demons, three mythos monsters, two driders and a spider goddess, a remhoraz/frost wyrm, an earth elemental, a tree spirit/ent, an ettin, an ogre, and a gnoll. Including the revealed goals, this climbs to 187 to add a Jabberwock, three Tiiks, the beast of blood reef, and the sea lion.

All optionals open to everyone will cost $122 for 48 jars of paint, twenty orcs, and a 150 mini case.

Buying everything revealed (since we know we're not stopping at one million) will cost you $409. That will buy you 200 regular pieces, thirty larger pieces, 48 paint jars, and the case.
Jordan Peacock
Legendary

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I'm definitely adding on the Jabberwock -- perfect for Wonderland No More!

And finally -- PIRATES! I'll add on those fishy critters. It would've been nice if the pirates included a figure that'd work nicely for "regular crew." (That one with the treasure chest on his shoulder would work perfectly ... except that he's hauling a treasure chest on his shoulder. Several copies of that for a pirate encounter would look kind of conspicuous.) However, Bones plastic is easy to convert, and I'm just happy that pirates got into the mix at all by this point.

I was hoping for Razig & Co. to make a showing. However, we're getting pretty close to the end, and I'm sure they're still going to sprinkle the new releases with yet more wizards and warriors and other conventional fantasy PC types -- because we apparently just can't get enough of those -- so maybe NEXT time.
Heroic

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was talking to a friend on this issue, and I would think that what we are getting now from the Vampire level is, at best, a teaser. I know they are doing alot with the money, but at the same time this last upgrade was 2x the initial bid, but for only 5 new models means more of that money is going elsewhere.

I would expect its going both to MORE models, and as part of the plans to move from china to texas.
JackMann
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's due to the larger number of people pledging. More people pledging, more minis needed, and more shipping. They've been saying for a while the stretch goals were going to get further apart to compensate for that.
The Dread Polack
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm pledging $250 now, and it might still go up a bit, depending on what other options show up. I don't expect I'll ever have to buy miniatures again after this Smile Of course, I still will. A big part of this is the options. Getting the giants and dragons (something I've been meaning to paint more of) for such a low price is a great opportunity. Plus, I know it's helping out a business I appreciate. The cost of minis was getting so high, it's nice to get a little relief in this hobby.

I put a basecoat on my bones werewolf mini the other day and was pretty impresseed at how well it took the paint. I also flexed it a bit and got no cracking from the paint (Citadel, in this case). So, the initial tests, so far, are positive.
Cryonic
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

robert4818 wrote:
I was talking to a friend on this issue, and I would think that what we are getting now from the Vampire level is, at best, a teaser. I know they are doing alot with the money, but at the same time this last upgrade was 2x the initial bid, but for only 5 new models means more of that money is going elsewhere.

I would expect its going both to MORE models, and as part of the plans to move from china to texas.

How is it going elsewhere? for each new person bidding at $100, that is all those minis that Reaper has to produce for yet another person. As others have noted, the price is now around $100 for 140 minis, or less than a dollar a mini at this point. Before any of the stretch goals were hit, the price was over $2 per mini.

Savage Worlds Tales: http://www.daemonstorm.com/category/Categories/Role-playing/Savage-Worlds
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW Miniatures, Terrain, and other Game Aides All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: