Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

WWI fighters

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW Home-brew Settings & Conversions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Putraack
Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:11 pm    Post subject: WWI fighters Reply with quote

I'm smashing together a Russian Civil War-era game, with players as mercenary aviators. I have Explorer's and Deluxe editions. I've also been gifted with the Kaiser's Gate book, but I'm only using bits and pieces of that.

- I note the absence of a rule for dropping bombs. What's the consensus out there: use Shooting or Piloting skill to bomb?

- Anyone have some stats on planes beyond what I've seen in the above books?
VonDan
Legendary

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now lets see if I can still name all 16 factions of the Russian Civil War from memeory

Reds
Imperial Whites
Anarchist out of Odessa
Lithuanians
Latvians
Estonians
Finns
British Expeditionary force of Invalids
Canadian Artillery Core
Wisconsin National Guard and US Marines
French Foreign Legion
That army of Checks and Slovoks trapped on the west end of the trans Siberian Rail way
Japanese
Polish got to be in there
Some other little country

Did I get it right
DanDiamond
Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wierd War II has very workable rules for dropping bombs.
Putraack
Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VonDan wrote:
Now lets see if I can still name all 16 factions of the Russian Civil War from memeory

Did I get it right

Nah, but close enough. I could make a list twice as long, and I bet I'd still leave out someone. Where'd you read about the WI Guard? I've only read of two regiments of US regulars and one of draftees, mostly from Michigan; not many Marines at all.

Quote:
Wierd War II has very workable rules for dropping bombs.

Any chance of a quick quote?

I've found the Crimson Skies conversion on Savage Heroes, and another titled "Aces High." I'm still reading and digesting those. That was a game that I never got into, but easily could have.

So far, our group has tried adapting Wings of Glory miniatures and rules for the air to air stuff (obviously, we intended Savage Worlds for everything out of the cockpit). The bombing rules have been unpopular, so I thought I should look harder in SW for something. We also gave Aces in Spades a try, and that was a nonstarter.
VonDan
Legendary

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going from memory of a book I read 15+ years ago

Doh was it Michigan; and not Wisconsin!?!?! The main US troops in Archangel and Murmansk was a federalized unit of a a State Guard from one of the cheese making states Armed with Mosen Nagat rifles made by Winchester. Some of them had to be from Ohio though as they had US soldiers who had worked for Chicago Transit get the city trains and trams back on line

And then the US Army and Mariens were patrolling the east end of the Siberian railways with the Japanese to try to get to the west end and evacuate the checks and slovocks and send them to the western front

For those who don't know the US did Invade Russia 1918 to 1921

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_Russia_Intervention

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allied_intervention_in_the_Russian_Civil_War
Nordicnomad
Seasoned

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:02 pm    Post subject: Re: WWI fighters Reply with quote

Putraack wrote:

- I note the absence of a rule for dropping bombs. What's the consensus out there: use Shooting or Piloting skill to bomb?

Could use the throwing skill for dropping WWI era bombs. As I recall a biplane pilot kept them in the cockpit and just dropped them over the side most of the time.
Wirelizard
Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:43 am    Post subject: Re: WWI fighters Reply with quote

Nordicnomad wrote:
Putraack wrote:

Could use the throwing skill for dropping WWI era bombs. As I recall a biplane pilot kept them in the cockpit and just dropped them over the side most of the time.

That was only really, really early in the air war - 1915, maybe early 1916. The whole "bomb rack" idea to get the bombs out of the cockpit was developed fairly early. There was even experimenting with firing rockets from aircraft later on!

By the time of the Russian Civil War, you probably wouldn't find anyone chucking bombs out of cockpits. Never say never, though, there was a lot of strange and random stuff done during the RCW...

If you're interested in the air war portion of the RCW, a great book is Gone To Russia To Fight about the RAF interventionist forces in South Russia. Could very easily serve as inspiration for an aviation-flavoured Russian Civil War based SW campaign! Mobile airfield units on trains, all sorts of random aircraft, attacks on shipping and ground units, the occasional Red aircraft, forced landings on the trackless plains, etc!

I reviewed Gone To Russia over on my wargaming blog a few months ago: http://www.warbard.ca/2012/06/12/book-review-gone-to-russia-to-fight/
DerFinsterling
Legendary

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Putraack wrote:

Any chance of a quick quote?

Well, I'm not going to post IP on a public forum, but:
Weird Wars 2 uses a separate Smarts-based Skill for dropping bombs from a plane.
To drop bombs, you use either that skill or Piloting, whichever is lower.
And they have slightly different rules for dive bombing and level bombing.

As for available planes, that depends on how accurate you want to be. There were no Russian planes designated as bombers at all available during the time period.
France, Italy, The UK, US, Germany and Japan were the only countries with bombers.

This link might help:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_bomber_aircraft
Ian
Seasoned

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Derfinsterling - I am not up on the Russian Civil War but the Russians bombed East Prussia during WW1 using the Ilya Mourometz bomber.
Only one bomber was shot down and it shot down 3 of the 4 Albatross fighters which attacked it.
DerFinsterling
Legendary

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, you're right. I've overlooked that one.
Putraack
Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, all! I'll run with Piloting for now, but allow them to learn a separate skill if they like.

Wirelizard: Thanks especially for the book mention, I have added it to my to-read list, and will see if I can ILL it. Should help with what kind of supplies they might steal from the RAF and Whites.

VonDan: I've seen memorabilia from the 339th in a museum in Michigan. They were some of the founders of the antiBolshevik American Legion in that state, as soon as they got home.

I'm putting the group in Georgia, where they can face down Reds, Turks, bad-guy Whites, and whoever else might be on the other side of the mountain. They'll be using ex-German fighters and/or attack planes, not the big bombers. The first session of the game was to raid an aircraft factory while it was shut down (between the armistice and Treaty negotiations). One of the characters is a massive Diplomancer (8 Charisma!?), so that went almost smoothly.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW Home-brew Settings & Conversions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: