Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Scale Comparisons for Zombie-Apocalypse Figures

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW Miniatures, Terrain, and other Game Aides
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jordan Peacock
Legendary

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 9:32 am    Post subject: Scale Comparisons for Zombie-Apocalypse Figures Reply with quote

I just got my copy of Zombicide, and I've started by base-coating the figures. After my Pirates RPG campaign wraps up, I'm planning on picking up "War of the Dead" at my local game store, starting up at Chapter 2 where we left off with my initial run, but with a mostly new cast of players. (I only have one "veteran" from the previous campaign.) I hope to use a bunch of these plastic miniatures alongside some of my Reaper survivors, along with a few HorrorClix conversions. I've also been looking at "Reich of the Dead" miniatures for some Weird Wars scenarios, hence the WWII-ish zombies in my collection.

One thing I was struck by when I opened the Zombicide box was that the miniatures seemed smaller than I'd imagined. Well, when I compared them to some of my other zombie miniatures, I found that my first impression was quite off. They're actually of a fairly decent size, but the limb proportions are more realistic (i.e., thinner) than with many miniatures lines, hence why I visually read them as "smaller" at first glance.

In case anyone would be interested in comparisons, here's a very un-scientific "line-up" I did with a piece of scrap paper and a tape measure on a whim.

The typical Zombicide "Walker" measures almost exactly 1.25" from bottom of feet (not including base) to eye level, and 1.375" from heels to top of head, making these figures about 32mm "heroic" scale (or a little smaller than 1:50 scale).

That is comparable with my Reaper Chronoscope miniatures; just to be silly, I used "Aldorf Hinzler" as my representative of Reaper scale, and he measures pretty close to 1.25" from heel to eye level. (I've found that these look pretty good next to 1:48 scale vehicles and with my 1:48 scale papercraft models, even though by the math they "should" look good next to 1:50 scale vehicles. I think part of it is on account of the bulkiness of the limbs.)

By comparison, the plastic "Zombies!!!" zombies measure about 1" from foot base to *top of head*, putting them pretty firmly into "true 25mm" range (or 1/72 scale).

The Wargames Factory plastic zombies measure 1" from foot base to eye level, and 1.125" from foot base to top of head (putting it pretty close to "true 28mm" or "heroic 25mm," or 1/64 scale). This makes them fit in with several vehicles put out by Jada Toys (such as most of their blister-pack "Battle Machines" cars).

I may do a "zombie-to-vehicle" size comparison later, but I need to pack things up for today's Pirates game. Wink
Heroic

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you seen THIS yet, Jordan?

Might also be helpful.
Jordan Peacock
Legendary

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Progress is slow on my Zombicide "Abomination" pack, since a few deadline projects have demanded priority, but Orlando is a place of thunderstorms and when all the computers have to get shut off because of the fear of power-line spikes, that's my time to paint some more minis.

"Goth Amy" from Zombicide -- work in progress

Here's one of the "survivor" minis from the pack, measuring about 32mm from base of feet to level of the figure's eyes. I've been painting most of the zombie figures "factory-style," painting segments down the row rather than focusing on any SINGLE figure to get it to completion (since I need to allow time for paint to dry and all that), but I ended up getting far enough on some of the survivors that I figured I'd go ahead and do some of the finer detail work.

This morning, I figured "Goth Amy" was far enough along to be worth a quick photo -- and of course, that just served to call to my attention all the little glitches and details that need to be touched up yet. (Digital close-up photography is pretty good for that, I see.) The finished figure won't be anywhere near contest quality when I finally declare it done, but there are still a few more details I could manage yet. For now, I'm leaving the figures on their original bases, since they seem to work just fine.

(The background is a section from a broken "Hot Wheels City" play-set I picked up at a thrift store, and salvaged for modern/post-apoc scenery pieces.)

My near-future plan is to get all the Zombicide miniatures painted up to "good-enough" status to use them for a "War of the Dead" scenario at Necronomicon 2012, and then -- if time and table space and player interest permit -- run a pick-up game or two of Zombicide.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW Miniatures, Terrain, and other Game Aides All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: