Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

home-brew sci-fi setting that borrows a lot

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW Home-brew Settings & Conversions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SeeleyOne
Seasoned

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 4:21 pm    Post subject: home-brew sci-fi setting that borrows a lot Reply with quote

I have been playing around with some ideas for a sci-fi setting that outright snatches concepts from several already-established settings and mashes them together into a semi-cohesive setting.

One reason that I am using some of these sources are because my players like, and are familiar with, some of them, especially the video games. Mass Effect and Halo are two major influences.

There is going to be a "galactic empire", with no name at the monent. So far I am thinking it is more like a galactic version of NATO or the United Nations, where the empire in itelf is not actually over the member nations. The main reason for the alliance is to set up a standard currency (the credit), have some common laws (to an extent), and most importantly manage a gate network between the member planets.

The network is the Btoadcast network, the idea being borrowed from the Clone novels by Steven Kent. Basically a starship is translated into energy and then transmitted to a receiver, causing what is basically teleportation. Most starships would not be FTL-capable on its own.

For the Humans, I am thinking about basing them on the Starship Troopers path, and add in some knights and clergy from Necropolis. There are going to be evil supernatural creatures that cause trouble through the galaxy and the knights will be some of the best way to hunt them. I am going to add in some Colonial Marines and HALO human tech level, as those are actually roughly the same tech level as it is.

I am thinking about having Spartans be characters with the Psionic Arcane background, but have the special Spartan Armor have its capabilities run on the Power points. The suit has psionic amplifiers in it, including a shield and regeneration capabilities. Taking it a step further, I can see the Spartans be what Mass Effect has as the Specters.

I can see the Asari Justicars also having lightsabers that are powered by psychic powers although it would not cost power points but it would count as a maintained power. I don't recall if it is an official rule, but I like powers to be at -1 per power that is already maintained. So if you are already maintaing three powers, you can activate a fourth power at -3. I can also see these as being sort of a Specter status as well. They already seem like a good version of the JEdi.

So, in my dijointed rambling, this is a space setting that also has the supernatural in it, mostly it is a secret from the general populace, but really not that surprising when people do find out as people already know about psychics from the media. There is magic, too (I like magic, but ironically enough I am generally bored with fantasy settings). I am considering some cthulu type stuff, but I do not have the cthulu book (or any cthulu books, for that matter). But as it is I can already do a lot with the Horror companion, magic, and other materials as it is.

I am also planning to plop some Mercenary Breed ideas into the mix. There really is not reason that mercenaries couldn't exiist somewhere. I plan to use the High Space stuff for the starships.

To be evil is to live backwards
tigerguy786
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

THis sounds ambitious, but I think before you get into detailing every aspect of the game, decide on what your Plot Point is going to focus on and build only what you need to outside of it. Save yourself the headache.
SeeleyOne
Seasoned

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm, that is actually very good advice.

I have f0und that I am good at making up settings, but I kind of suck at making adventures for those settings. As a result they tend to only last a few sessions, even if I try to run several different campaigns within the same setting. I tend to try to make the settings as broad as I can, only to go "hmm, what now?" once I get it ready. Looking back, the settings that I did actually run for a lengthened period of time I had already established a basic sort of adventure path and then tied in the game materials towards relevancy.

So.... I guess I need ideas on an adventure path. I don't care to run "save the world/galaxy/universe" adventures. At least not on a large scale. Relatively minor incursions with demons and whatnot is one thing, but I have had bad experience with worlds literally ending from failures (or successes, depending on perspective).

Given the setting, I can see it focusing on several different types of adventures. People could go around and try to fix problems in the empire, kind of like being a specter in Mass Effect. They could also be sort of monster hunters to take on the semi-hidden monsters. I am liking that one a lot more, and it does seem to be the way my thoughts are leaning. Basically a futuristic monster-hunter horror game.

I can't quite decide on how to handle the empire itself. As it currently is, it is mostly just an economic base with little actual power (as it is not in itself a nation, more like a corporation that happens to have its members be nations). I see no real reason to bother with being government agents of the empire. but of nations could be fun. I can see a lot of Agents of Oblivion use for the spy stuff. The Oblivion agency could actually exist as well, just in the future, and be this sort of monster hunter group that recruits from all over hte empire. That is sounding plausible at the moment.

I guess I am hoping people can shoot my ideas full of holes or at least help me get in the right direction. Better yet, like my idea and use it as well.

To be evil is to live backwards
farik
Seasoned

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I teach in my game mastering class the first two questions to answer before you start to build a campaign should be.

1) What do you (the GM) want to happen in the campaign?

2) What do your player's enjoy experiencing in a campaign?
Kythkyn
Seasoned

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

farik wrote:
As I teach in my game mastering class the first two questions to answer before you start to build a campaign should be.

GMing class..?
farik
Seasoned

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kythkyn wrote:
farik wrote:

GMing class..?

I teach a Game Masters workshop and other gaming classes at our Community College.

http://www.cccneb.edu/index.php?key-search=game&x=0&y=0&option=com_calendar&view=calendar&Itemid=660

Next semester we're planning on running a series of convention style games as intro to RPGs classes things like "Intro to Horror RPGs"; "Intro to Cowboy RPGs" and "Intro to 4 Color RPGs"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW Home-brew Settings & Conversions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: