Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Trying to come up with new Gifts for a Blessed Scientist...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> Deadlands: The Weird West
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gavinfoxx
Novice

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 12:17 am    Post subject: Trying to come up with new Gifts for a Blessed Scientist... Reply with quote

Hi there, I was thinking of making a very, very sane Scientist, whose faith in science and reason and in humanism and the ultimate capability for humanity to meaningfully understand the world around them, was what grants him his power.

Oh, and he of course views all of this occult stuff as actually happening, and is taking a viewpoint that says 'humanity needs to be given the tools to understand and react to these things in some method other than fear and terror; science itself can grant us the capability. As the world itself and the rules by which the world runs has changed, so must science in order to adapt and explain the world.'

He also *hates* mad science, and what it does to people he cares about, and at least holds (as his pet hypothesis; no actual evidence that he has seen yet with his own eyes) the belief that it seems to be powered by demons.

Anyway...

My main concept for this character is that I want his abilities to primarily be based on _gifts_. Mostly gifts which will enable him to be aware of and react appropriately to, the supernatural -- especially spirits and such. I see him, religiously (but this religion doesn't give him his Faith dice), as a Deist with Animist tendencies.

Anyway... I was wondering if anyone had any ideas for a series of Gifts which have to do with sensing/seeing/hearing/speaking to Spirits that happen to be nearby, which would work within the 'Gifts' system, and not overly step on the toes of the Shaman in the group, who is (of course) more about 'getting the spirits to work for them to do particular things'. My concept is much much much more passive, and more about being aware and analyzing spirits by observing them, and noticing patterns in energies and such to gain information.

The sorts of things where he wouldn't necessarily need to appease spirits because he isn't actually ASKING them to do anything, and it is his belief (or perhaps Owl or the angel of Wisdom Uriel or some other benevolent entity) that is giving him this capability.

...But I have noooo idea exactly how to write up appropriate Gifts for that sort of thing! Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions?
Snate56
Legendary

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, still sounds like a Shaman to me.

SteveN
Gavinfoxx
Novice

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I was thinking of not being nature focused in particular, and a different viewpoint and manner of seeing the supernatural / hard to see.
Waxahachie
Novice

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want to work within the boundaries a bit more, Fire & Brimstone suggests that their methodology can be applied to any religion, not just the ones that are in there - though I think it is probably more well suited to the ones presented. I think rather than try to blend Deism and animism, you should focus on one or the other. From what you describe, it sounds like Deism is a better bet - especially if you have a character of European heritage.

Most of the Gifts in Fire & Brimstone seem like they'd be easily applicable to a Deist, and there's a passage on designing new gifts. The key is the power balance there.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> Deadlands: The Weird West All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: