Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What terrain is good for fantasy RPGs?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW Miniatures, Terrain, and other Game Aides
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Phoenix3270
Novice

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 3:18 pm    Post subject: What terrain is good for fantasy RPGs? Reply with quote

Hello ,what terrain is good for fantasy RPGs? I am with in a budget so I would prefer to keep price down.
Jordan Peacock
Legendary

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, my ideal would be Hirst Arts Castlemolds ... but that's only cheap if you've got a friend who already has the molds and is willing to loan them to you for casts. Wink

The Descent board game offers a lot of mileage in the form of its die-cut puzzle-locking dungeon board pieces. In the latest version, the flip side features outdoors scenery; the conceit there in the board game is that above-ground adventures basically take place in a forested place where heroes can't venture off the path -- and thus it's like an "above-ground dungeon" -- but it can still work for RPGs, depending on what you do with it. It really depends upon how much you want to have scenery pieces that can fit a specific adventure, or how much you're willing to just make your own adventure (or modify an existing one) to fit with whatever scenery and miniatures you actually have on hand.

As for myself, I tend to be very opportunistic, making use of assorted board games for "game tiles" when appropriate (I've even used the "Clue" board game for a small "manor") and sometimes just printing off textured sheets to throw down on the table to represent larger battlegrounds such as forest clearings and such.

I've got a few print-and-use texture tiles for free on my web site: http://greywolf.critter.net/tiles.htm

(I can see, however, that some of my "exterior" links that point back to the Pinnacle web site are in dire need of updating. Please accept my apologies if you follow any of those at the bottom and find a broken link. I'll try to get to that when I get the chance.)
Legendary

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look in thrift stores for games and play sets even if they are imcomplete

Hero Scape: Gras, Sand, Water and Lava hexes and the last set i found had trees

Hero Quest: Walls, Doors, furniture

Lego Castle

Mega Block Castle

doh customer i;ll add more later
Vinzent
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also look at pet supply stores in the aquarium section. I know it sounds odd but you could easily use things like this...

http://www.petco.com/product/114630/Blue-Ribbon-Blue-Stone-Bridge-Aquarium-Ornament.aspx
http://www.petco.com/product/118905/Blue-Ribbon-Cambodian-Temple-Ruins-Aquarium-Ornament.aspx
warrenss2
Heroic

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What, exactly, are you looking for?

Buildings?
Jungle?
Forest?
Desert?
Ruins?
Snate56
Legendary

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like paper models myself but they look just that, paper models. Very Happy
Some are a lot better than others, though. Check out RPGNow for World Works Games or Fat Dragon, though there are a myriad of publishers.

SteveN
Phoenix3270
Novice

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What are some good buildings?
FabledEnvironments
Novice

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 11:40 am    Post subject: Re: What terrain is good for fantasy RPGs? Reply with quote

Phoenix3270 wrote:
Hello ,what terrain is good for fantasy RPGs? I am with in a budget so I would prefer to keep price down.

Check out War Torn Worlds. They have some amazing stuff at a great price. Their stuff is made either from recycled rubber or gypsum covered in resin. We carry their stuff at Cons and I use their stuff in games.

Charles
2007 & 2009 Ennie Nominee
We Put You On The Map!
Snate56
Legendary

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TSR has some smattering few free paper models available.
http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/fpm/archive
The 3d folio appears to be down, however.

SteveN
Blackhawk
Novice

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One inexpensive option, assuming you have ink, is
WorldWorks, as already mentioned. The link is just to their fantasy terrain options - they have lots more.

The cheapest option, though, is probably to build your own. The thing is, you usually won't find it on RPG sites. Instead, google 'wargame terrain tutorial' and you'll find hundreds of pages of how-to info. Much of it can be made with just a few basic tools - a knife, some glue, and some $1 hobby paint from Wal-Mart.

Example 1

Example 2
Count Zero
Legendary

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Worldworks look gorgeous but they require more work than I personally have time for. I don't like the "streets" foundation idea either. For my money it's Fat Dragon. They build quick and look good.
For outdoor environs, check into Woodland Scenics materials. I built a lot of my terrain and that's where I started. Those train modellers know what they're doing!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW Miniatures, Terrain, and other Game Aides All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: