Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Broken Earth - Post Apocalyptic Savage Worlds
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW Licensees
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MatthewJHanson
Novice

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 4:31 pm    Post subject: Broken Earth - Post Apocalyptic Savage Worlds Reply with quote

Sneak Attack Press is proud to release Broken Earth, a post-apocalyptic adventure-setting produced under the official Savage Worlds license.

Bombs fell. Billions died. Now you must pick up the pieces and rebuild this Broken Earth.

Broken Earth is an adventure-setting that takes place in a post-apocalyptic version of Earth. Heroes struggle to establish a community and protect it from slavers, mutants, and rival towns. As an adventure setting, Broken Earth includes many compelling locations and adventures, but also gives the heroes freedom to explore the world.

The book gives the GM everything you need to run a prolonged campaign in the Broken Earth setting, including locations, NPCs, plot points, mutant monsters, and a detailed first adventure that brings the party together.

PDF versions are available RPGNow and DriveThruRPG. Print copies are coming in April and can be preordered at you friendly local gaming store.
cosmic55
Novice

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For some reason, I am just hearing about this now! (It was on the RPGNOW top list). Now I'm running around for reviews and previews. If anyone has anything to share on this title, I'm all ears!
cosmic55
Novice

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobody has comments? And I'm not seeing a plethora of reviews. That is...unsettling. Sad
cdwjava
Novice

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I own it and like what I see, but I have not actually put it into play, yet. I have a friend that is going to use it to run a game soon ... soon ... Maybe when that happens I'll have something to post.

There is a taste of some background info that I can only imagine will be present in an expanded book or GM module which will hopefully appear sometime in the future. Personally, I'm kind of waiting to see more of the background before I create a game around it.

"Make mine a double mocha ...
And a croissant!"
ogbendog
Legendary

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

what would be nice is a review that compares and contrasts this to Darwin's world.

http://www.rpgnow.com/product/119241/Kaisers-Gate-Field-Manual-Mounts
cdwjava
Novice

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, Darwin's World has a more mutant theme to it - things are twisted and bizarre. I'd lump Broken Earth more closely with the venerable Aftermath! by FGU where mutations and the like exist, but the world does not have to appear as a three ring circus.

But, I prefer my post-apoc roleplaying to be more down-to-Earth than fantastic ... I suppose it's a matter of taste.

I don't have the books in front of me or I'd post something more.

And a croissant!"
Fairman Rogers
Seasoned

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cosmic55 wrote:
Nobody has comments? And I'm not seeing a plethora of reviews. That is...unsettling. Sad

Actually it's fairly typical. Sneak Attack has been around for a few years, but they are still a small publisher. Getting reviews as a small publisher is difficult, partially because there are so many of us.

This is a challenge across the industry, not just among Savage Worlds licensees, but you can get a sense of the scope by looking at the SW list and considering how often we get mentions on podcasts or review sites. The bigger licensees like Savage Mojo can manage it, but they've earned that with lots of people and lots of product.

The key is that reviews don't just appear because something is good. (And they're not missing just because something is bad.) They appear because someone is working hard to convince people to write one. And for those of us who are both designers AND marketers of our games, that is not easy.

But you can help!

If you own a small-press game that you enjoy, or even if you have some criticisms of it, throw a review up on DriveThru or RPGGeek or wherever. So get out there and review Broken Earth if you have it! I am sure the folks at Sneak Attack will appreciate it.
ogbendog
Legendary

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OH, more an Aftermath feel? Nice, I like Aftermath.

Road Warrior, not Gamma World

cosmic55
Novice

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do like the idea that the norm is kind of normal, so when you see a mutant or what have you it's unsettling. So that sounds good. Smile
Nostromo
Seasoned

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can someone who owns the book give a mini review on teh optional/updated Mass combat rules section as well as the Community rules?

I am strongly considering this book as so much those 2 rules work well with each other Smile
MatthewJHanson
Novice

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all. Thanks for those who have had kind words so far. I just through I'd chime in to say that I'm happy to answer any questions people have.

I also just want to make sure people are clear about the two .pdfs that are available. The above link is for the complete book, which includes information for players and the GM. It just came out a few days ago, so there has not been a ton of time for responses.

There is also the Player's Guide, which came out a couple months ago. This has the first few chapter of the complete book, which are relevant to players. You do NOT need both books. This does have a few reviews, but they are not super in depth.

Quote:
There is a taste of some background info that I can only imagine will be present in an expanded book or GM module which will hopefully appear sometime in the future. Personally, I'm kind of waiting to see more of the background before I create a game around it.

The full book does have more background. Some of it is left out of the Players' Guide since its not things that the PCs are likely to know.

Quote:
Can someone who owns the book give a mini review on teh optional/updated Mass combat rules section as well as the Community rules?

I'll let other judge how well I succeeded, but my goal with the community rules were this:

1) Keep them in line with the fast, fun furious motto.
2) Have the PCs actions influence the community.
3) Have the community influence the PCs.

So for example, like PCs communities have Edges, but instead of getting them for gain XP, they get them for the PCs actions, like recruiting new citizens, or discovering a weapons cache.
ogbendog
Legendary

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MatthewJHanson wrote:

I'll let other judge how well I succeeded, but my goal with the community rules were this:

1) Keep them in line with the fast, fun furious motto.
2) Have the PCs actions influence the community.
3) Have the community influence the PCs.

So for example, like PCs communities have Edges, but instead of getting them for gain XP, they get them for the PCs actions, like recruiting new citizens, or discovering a weapons cache.

this is the proper way of doing communities.

although I could also see a community getting XP / players picking an edge once in a while, particularly if you have an extended period of time. "6 months go by, pick an edge for the town"

"How about increased defense?"

"OK, for 6 months you work on building up the wall and adding towers."

cdwjava
Novice

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, crud! I didn't know that the full book had come out! I even went to the Sneak Attack web site today and saw mention only of the Player's Guide!

You guys gotta get the word out! Smile

Just put it into my Cart at RPGNow ... purchasing tonight!

And a croissant!"
cosmic55
Novice

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bought it today. LOVE it already! Wish I could stay up later to read more. Stupid grown up responsibilities.

Once I'm done, will be posting details of my love on the interweb so others can find this gem!

(It isn't necessarily the raw data it gives. It's the story first approach - but not ridiculously so! Such a great balance so far!)
Grog
Novice

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@MatthewJHanson

Could you give us a little more detail about how the community system works? I'm very interested in making this a pretty major component of a future campaign and have been looking for a good system. How does it compare to the system used for lodges in rippers (this is the closest thing to what I'm hoping to do).

Not that I expect you to fix it, but I wish there were a way to "flip through" a pdf before buying it.
MatthewJHanson
Novice

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grog wrote:
@MatthewJHanson

Could you give us a little more detail about how the community system works? I'm very interested in making this a pretty major component of a future campaign and have been looking for a good system. How does it compare to the system used for lodges in rippers (this is the closest thing to what I'm hoping to do).

Not that I expect you to fix it, but I wish there were a way to "flip through" a pdf before buying it.

Sure thing. I don't have a copy of Rippers, so I'm not quite sure how they compare.

Basically the PCs have a community. If left to itself it pretty much just stays at a status quo. The PCs can add to the community by going out to recruit new members or finding key resources and the like. PCs can also ask the community to undertake a project, which might be something like building a watch-tower. This project take a certain amount of time and Build (the main resource for the community).

Here's an example of a few edges the community could get:

Crafts Folk
Crafts folk have specialized skills such as pottery, blacksmithing, or weaving.
Community Benefit: The community’s Economy increases by one die type. Additionally, once per year the community gains an additional 1d6 Build per hex it controls.
PC Benefit: PCs can requisition items appropriate to the craftspeople worth 50 Trade or less.

Books
This represents a large collection of books on a range of topics.
Community Benefit: Economy and Morale both increase by one die type.
PC Benefit: PCs who consult these books gain a +1 bonus to Investigation checks.

Radio Tower
Requires: 12 Build, 8 weeks; electricity
The community builds a radio tower it can use to communicate over vast distances. They use this both for two-way communication and to broadcast to the surrounding area.
Community Benefit: The community’s Morale and Force both increase one die type.
PC Benefit: The PCs receive a radio they can use to communicate with the community at a distance of up to 50 hexes (nearly anywhere described in this adventure).
MightyCthulhu
Seasoned

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nostromo wrote:

I am strongly considering this book as so much those 2 rules work well with each other Smile

Here is my mini review.
I bought the player's guide a few days after it came out. I loved it and as soon as I finished it I bought the full game. I'll be running this next moth.

I there are a few minor editing quirks, but in the general the book is very well edited and easy to read.

The players guide:
I liked the PC races. They are very evocative of. The genre.

I liked the idea of starting community and important Npc as part of character generation. The 3 recommended starting communities are well fleshed out and cover all the bases: vault, town in the ruins and tribal.

The community building rules in the players guide are what really sold me. They seem well thought out and provide something I have been looking for in a rpg for a long time: a way for the PCs to influence their communities in a real visible way, supported by mechanics. I think this is going to get the players invested in the community and really give them something to fight for.

I'll try to review the GM section in a way that does not give spoilers to the players:
First of all this is a pretty big Book. Abot 114 pages devoted to the gm plus some forms, etc.

What sold me on this game is the fact that it is a PA sandbox. Frankly I have not seen a decent one since Gamma World 2nd ed. The Broken Earth sandbox blows all other sandboxes I have read Out Of The Water!
The sandbox is a combination of locations, mini-plot points and linked events. I got my money's worth out of the game just from the enjoyment of reading this section! I really like how "alive" the game world feels. The objectives, and world views of the major settlements are described well and give a very complete and "real" feel to the setting. The game world is large and very complete, but at the same time there is plenty of room for the GM to fill in with his/her own ideas.

The are some setting specific rules. The scavenging rules are FFF. They seem simple and effective. The mass battle rules follow the rules in SWDE. The community building rules dovetail nicely into the scavenging rules and mass battle rules. The radiation rules are simple and effective.
MatthewJHanson
Novice

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MightyCthulhu wrote:
Here is my mini review...

Thanks for the review!

If you are able to leave that as a customer review on RPGNow/DrivThruRPG, it would help people who are curious about the books but don't frequent the forums. THanks!
MightyCthulhu
Seasoned

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MatthewJHanson wrote:
If you are able to leave that as a customer review on RPGNow/DrivThruRPG, it would help people who are curious about the books but don't frequent the forums. THanks!

Done. Wink
Grog
Novice

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought the book based on just reading those community edges, which communicated a surprising amount about the nature of the community rules.

I'll write a proper review after I've been able to run it for a bit, but I'm very impressed after reading through.

The settlement rules really are the most original and exciting part of the book and could easily be abstracted to a western or even fantasy setting. The resource system is simple and makes sense.

This is overall a very excellent Post-A Supplement that I'm going to spend a lot more time working with.

One question: Are there blank, printer friendly versions of the maps available? I would love to be able to give my players maps without revealing which hexes they need to explore.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW Licensees All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: