Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

[Hellfrost] Detect / Conceal and Instant Duration

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW Licensees
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SunJester68
Novice

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 7:01 am    Post subject: [Hellfrost] Detect / Conceal and Instant Duration Reply with quote

The errata that I downloaded for Hellfrost from the website has the following statement in red.

Quote:
Errata: The detect power now has an Instant duration. This is not technically errata but a revision of how the spell functions.

What does this mean? If I read into this what I would think that it should mean, then the detect spell completely changes from the write up in the Hellfrost Players Guide. Now, instead of putting up a Detect Traps spell and maintaining it and have it alert the user whenever a trap comes into range, the caster would have to cast the spell to instantly scan an area for traps and then cast it again if they needed to do that in another location. Is that what was intended by the errata?
Wiggy
Legendary

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Red is just used to show the latest updates, so folk can see any revisions or additions. Yep -- a single casting gives you a snapshot, rather than a "walk around and detect every trap that comes into range" ability. Conceal is unchanged.
SunJester68
Novice

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wiggy,

Thanks much for the response. I am GMing the game, so I guess I should be thankful for the change, but I was also helping one of my novice characters make a Paladin of Nauthiz for my game and Detect seemed an obvious choice. I guess a good measure of whether the nerf was warranted, however, is that even with the change, I still think that it is the spell that he should get in addition to Boost.

The GM in me rejoices that traps are once again something to be feared. The player in me weeps that the spell is a less awesome than it used to be.
Thunderforge
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a trap-detection power, I can totally see how it ought to be instant. As a "you walk through the tunnels for twenty minutes and then sense there's something magical on the other side of this rock wall," I think it's much better as a duration power. Guess it depends on what sort of scenario it's used for. The way it is is better for the Mines of Moria (where an hour duration isn't nearly enough time to get through it), the Hellfrost way is better for your average D&D dungeon.

The Elder Scrolls conversion and other fun creations.
Enno
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When my players finally entered the Lost Library in the ruined City of Paraxus (Hellfrost Adventure S2), the old maintained Detect spell proved to be a real fun killer.

The characters just kindly asked their employer to drop all supportive spells and cast Detect Traps, Detect Magic, Detect Hostile Creatures expanded on anyone on all party members. The Hoenir paladin just had to stand in the doorway for the spell to work in the whole room while the magically boosted and protected player characters explored all corners without any ruffle or excitement. So they "saw" all traps, treasures and the boss monster in just a few rounds with 100% accuracy.

Until this rule change, Detect destroyed any glint of a thrilling dungeon romp for me and my group.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW Licensees All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: