Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Good Boomtown and Ghost Town Names

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> Deadlands: The Weird West
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Clash957
Seasoned

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:40 pm    Post subject: Good Boomtown and Ghost Town Names Reply with quote

I have a couple of good Deadlands Boomtown names that might be able to be of some quick adventure idea hooks.

Thirsty Earth--A farming and Ranching town one of the southern states like Arizona. Any water, or blood, is near instantly absorbed into the dusty ground.

Dry Rot--A lumber and mining town that just can't keep itself repaired giving visitor's the impression of a ghost town. Fact is the wood they harvest is inhabited by spirit termites summoned for a past misdeed of the town's leadership.

Anyone have other Boomtown names or adventure hooks?
jpk
Legendary

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Coogan's Bluff, the paradise town of the West, waiting for any settler who's read the ad to come make their fortune in one of a thousand ways, where the streets are paved in ghost rock, the flowers drip honey for the taking, and the weather is always beautiful.

I mean, that's what the ad says. In fact, there is no town at all. Take the trail to Coogan's Bluff and you'll only end meeting the soon-to-be-infamous Bandit Leader Coogan. Don't worry about his poor manners, though, since you'll be in the mass grave with the other settlers/victims soon.

Maybe you need to go find some lost settlers. Maybe you need to investigate the ravings of an escapee. Maybe you're hoping to find the missing Coogan for some reward. Maybe you just need to try to survive a tide of very angry undead lead by a charismatic zombie wearing Coogan's skin. Maybe you just fall for advertising far too easily.
The Stray
Seasoned

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lonesome Vally--Which actually was a town in 1800's Arizona, the name just screams potential ghost town.
VonDan
Legendary

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A customer of mine spends several months of the year in a native village in Panama called "Playa de Muertos" which translates as Beach of the dead, named after a wrecked Spanish ship and the bodies that washed up there.

And I see there are also similar named beaches in Mexico and the Caribbean
StJason
Novice

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In our group, any small railroad town became Clarkston. That made it easy to remember. Why? Because...

"...you take the last train to Clarkston,
And I'll meet you at the station,
You better leave by 5:30,
'cause I've made our reservation..."
Edgeworth
Seasoned

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rock Falls. A mining town where they have mined so deep and wide that they use what's left of the site as a roof for the whole town.

IIIIIII_____________
IIII/ ///////////////////
IIII/
IIII
IIII___TOWN_

Like this.
otherdoc
Seasoned

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I once named a town "Desperation." If I recall correctly, they were experiencing a drought with mysterious causes.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> Deadlands: The Weird West All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: