Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Archetypes who uses them

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW General Chat & Game Stories
View previous topic :: View next topic  
OSIAdept
Legendary

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 5:31 pm    Post subject: Archetypes who uses them Reply with quote

As the title states who uses archetypes for thier settings or games.

My online art portfolio
http://paintedsamurai.deviantart.com/

Black Stag Publishing
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Black-Stag-Publishing/223736847644167?sk=wall
Thunderforge
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I admit that I haven't used them yet. The only source of them is SWD at the moment, and so far they haven't been suitable for the settings I've been playing.

The Elder Scrolls conversion and other fun creations.
FickleGM
Novice

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My wife just did for her latest character. But, we haven't played much, and most of what I've run have been one-shots using pregens that I create.
Khonger
Novice

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My group has used them a few times. I've had a few first time players use them.
I've also made a few setting-specific ones. Those are mostly for inspiration. Kind of an example of what kinds of characters are appropriate for a given setting.
Virgobrown72
Heroic

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've used them, and they work very well...
OSIAdept
Legendary

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been thinking of making some for my settings

My online art portfolio
http://paintedsamurai.deviantart.com/

Black Stag Publishing
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Black-Stag-Publishing/223736847644167?sk=wall
Clash957
Seasoned

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends on how unfamiliar the setting or rules are. If it is a D&D retro-clone with no surprises then I don't need them. However, if the setting is different, unfamiliar, or even really narrow I use them to figure out what the author intended for characters. Or if I don't really know how the rules work, I like archetypes with suggested Attributes, Skills, etc. to guide me through making a character.

When I picked up Solomon Kane, my first Savage Worlds book, I didn't know either. I didn't even know much of Sword & Sorcery beyond D&D, and Arnold's Conan movies. I wasn't exactly sure what would be a suitable character without the archetypes except maybe a clone of Solomon or N'Longa. Even then, I would have liked suggested abilities to buy for my character.

I think what I prefer even more to archetypes, are pre-gens. Pre-gens give me both the game's idea of what are most common types of characters and how the author(s) would build said characters. They even work for one shots to give new players an idea how the game works. I think at least 8 to 10 for groups of 6 players to have a few to pick from with an even 12 being optimal (and at least 6 for said reason).

Sadly, I realize that space is often limited in rpg books, and you can fit more archetypes in than pre-gens. However, on the internet, electrons are basically free and would like to see gaming companies (Pinnacle hint, hint) put of a bunch of pre-gens for their settings. I like that most Triple Ace Games do this, I would just prefer a few more. Like I said, I gaming groups I play in often have six players and GM, sometimes more. Iwant a good selection of pre-gens (but maybe not more than 20) to choose from. But that is my preference.

OSIAdept, since most of your post revolve around sci-fi settings (and sci-fi means a lot of different things to different people) and many of the recent ones have been about a Borderlands like setting. I would definitely suggest at a minimum archetypes to show the players what type characters you intend for the setting. Like I said above, pre-gens would better.

Borderlands the RPG is that narrow setting example I mentioned where as a player I know I want a combat monkey, most likely a shooty one, but don't know exactly how my guy is going to be different Clash958's character.
Zadmar
Legendary

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clash957 wrote:
I think what I prefer even more to archetypes, are pre-gens.

Pre-gens are good too, but I think they serve a different purpose. Archetypes are more like a framework that you can flesh out, or a template that you can build on - they significantly speed up character creation, but still allow the player to customise it with their own personality.

I find that pre-gens are great for new players or one-shot games, but for me it always feels a bit like playing an NPC (particularly when even the background is fleshed out). For a multi-session campaign I much prefer the players to personalise their characters, to really make them their own.

If you're introducing Savage Worlds to players from class-based games, I think archetypes can make character creation feel less intimidating - even if they're only used as examples of what a wizard might be like, or a rogue, etc. But it still leaves enough open that two players with the same archetype can be pretty different.
sablemage
Seasoned

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use 'em myself and find 'em very useful.
The Dread Polack
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I ran a couple of the one-sheets in SWD, the players each picked an archetype. I think one player swapped out an edge. They did this without any prompting from me. They grabbed the book and started flipping through, and I told them to ask me anything they wanted. They found the archetypes and ran with them. I think this is maybe the perfect use for them.

Chararacter generation is already so fast in SW that even for a one-sheet, you can all make characters from scratch, even if they're seasoned. Higher than that, and pre-gens are more useful.
robert4818
Heroic

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like how Agents of Oblivion handles Archetypes.

They are close to whats in the SWD book, with some minor differences.

First, they fit the genre (no surprise there).

Second, they generally have a bit more open than the SWD version, but still give you enough to let you know where the archetype is going.

Finally, not every archetype is built using the same mold, and it's distinctly clear about what you need to finish up with the archetype to complete the character.

So, one arcane archetype might list
Powers: Healing, +1 additional Power

Another one might read
Edges: Pick One
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW General Chat & Game Stories All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: