Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Savage Legacy - fantasy setting toolbox

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW Home-brew Settings & Conversions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CruelDespot
Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 12:05 pm    Post subject: Savage Legacy - fantasy setting toolbox Reply with quote

Over a year ago, I posted a thread seeking rules for governance: a fairly simple system for managing resources, ruling kingdoms, and so forth. Back then, I didn't have any free time, so I was hoping to find something I could buy off the shelf. There was the great "Hellfrost Resource Management" sourcebook, but it only deals with fairly small holdings. Other than that I was out of luck.

Now, I have more free time, so I created my own set of governance rules. I did it as part of a larger effort to develop the rules I wanted for a fantasy setting - races, deities, custom edges, and other features.

Here is the current draft of the project: SAVAGE LEGACY (4.5MB)

SAVAGE LEGACY is a general toolbox. It combines several different rules ideas. You are welcome to pillage one or more of the tools and leave the rest. The tools include:

> Races for an ancient mythological setting, retooled as "heritages." There are non-humans heritages, such as elves and centaurs, and also human heritages, such as barbarians, nomads, citizens, and patricians.

> Sect details (powers, duties, and sins) for the Roman pantheon of deities.

> Rules for characters to control holdings, including businesses, temples, fiefs, nomad tribes, and larger realms.

> Rules to determine background events in the character's lives, such as marriage, childbirth, and deaths in the family.

> Rules for mages to have spellbooks rather than fixed powers.

> Rules to encourage non-mages to acquire a few minor powers (similar to common magic or folk magic in Runequest) while reserving the greater powers for sorcerers who dedicate themselves to studying magic.

> Rules for Wages and Cost of Living

These rules have not been playtested, and I welcome feedback. Let me know what you think.

Edit: fixed link

Edit2: Replaced link with 2nd draft. Link to the first draft (3MB)

Edit 3: Replaced link with 3rd draft. Link to the second draft (4.5MB)

Edit 4: Replaced link with 4th draft. Link to the third draft (4.5MB)

Last edited by CruelDespot on Sat Sep 15, 2012 10:01 am; edited 11 times in total
CitizenKeen
Seasoned

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Link doesn't work for me. I'm just getting something that says "No Access."
LegendaryBard
Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CitizenKeen wrote:
Link doesn't work for me. I'm just getting something that says "No Access."

I'm having the same problem.
Armmeggedon
Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Me too
CruelDespot
Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the heads-up. Link should be fixed now.
CruelDespot
Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 8:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Savage Legacy - fantasy setting toolbox Reply with quote

After some revisions and additions, here is the second draft:

SAVAGE LEGACY (4.5MB)

The second draft has a couple of new spells, some new rules for magic items so that they can be both "cursed' and beneficial at the same time (like some famous rings and swords you may recall), some additional artwork, and many footnotes with quotes from myths and classic S&S stories.
Zadmar
Legendary

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some cool ideas there, but a few of the races don't seem to add up to +2. So as a sort of bump/constructive feedback post, here are some thoughts:

Patrician (total value is +3)
* Title (+2): Noble edge.
* Spoiled (-1): All Thumbs hindrance.
* Versatile (+2): Bonus (presumably Novice) edge.

Rather than giving every Patrician the Noble edge, perhaps they should just be given the option of choosing it (and maybe they can take it after character creation as well, representing coming into their inheritance). This would also allow someone to use the Black Sheep hindrance from Hellfrost, for a Patrician who's been cut off from their family estate.

Demi-God (total value is -1)
* Cursed (-4): -2 bennies.
* Divine Blessing (+5): AB Miracles, d6 Faith, no Vows major hindrance.
* Jealous God (-2): Major Enemy hindrance.

They also get "Salt of the Earth" and "Poverty" from peasant, but those cancel out. Perhaps reduce Cursed to -1 benny, and give them d6 in a skill appropriate to their deity?

Goblin (total value is +)
* Fangs (+*): Bite inflicts Str+d4 damage.
* Sneaky (+1): d6 stealth.
* Fiendish (+1): d6 taunt.
* Diminutive (-2): Small hindrance.

Normally, d6 natural weapons are a +1 racial ability. The goblin has only d4, and only for bite attacks, which I'd probably rate as a + racial ability (assuming there were such a thing). But even if you left it as +1, they'd still be a point behind. Perhaps give them Infravision? As a "diminutive monster", Outsider or Ugly might also be appropriate choices, and the goblin from SWD also has Pace 5".
CruelDespot
Novice

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zadmar wrote:
Some cool ideas there, but a few of the races don't seem to add up to +2. So as a sort of bump/constructive feedback post, here are some thoughts:

That is great feedback. I think the patrician and goblin were both just math screwups when I lost track after making numerous tweaks.

I think I'll give the patrician a starting skill instead of "versatile" to balance it out. I like your idea about not all patricians being noble, but I want for the noble edge to be the "default." I want to encourage more characters to have obligations and community ties. Instead, I'm toying with the idea of a hindrance similar to the "black sheep" that would only be for patricians.

Goblin is easy to fix. I'll either give them the ugly or outsider hindrance, as you suggested (I think I meant for them to have outsider), or I'll scratch sneaky or fiendish.

Demi-God I'm not sure if I will fix. Being able to cast miracles with none of the usual worshiper restrictions seems pretty powerful, so I was erring on the side of caution.

Thanks! I'll fix patrician and goblin for sure in the next version.

I can tell you were reading the first draft, because in the second draft demi-gods can have different backgrounds for their mortal parent. When I wrote the first draft, all the demigods I could remember were raised as peasants. But when I was gathering the quotes for the footnotes in the second draft, I realized that Cuchulain was raised as a noble.

I encourage you to try the second draft; if for no other reason than the quotes should make it more fun to read.
Zadmar
Legendary

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CruelDespot wrote:
Goblin is easy to fix. I'll either give them the ugly or outsider hindrance, as you suggested (I think I meant for them to have outsider), or I'll scratch sneaky or fiendish.

They're already 1 points behind, so if you give them Ugly or Outsider as well they'll need an even bigger boost. Perhaps Infravision, d6 Notice and d4 Climbing, or something like that.

CruelDespot wrote:
Demi-God I'm not sure if I will fix. Being able to cast miracles with none of the usual worshiper restrictions seems pretty powerful, so I was erring on the side of caution.

There was an interesting discussion about Arcane Backgrounds last year, and the general consensus seemed to be that the "Protector" drawback was on-par with a major hindrance.

Another option would be to use AB (Magic) with a custom backlash table. The backlash results could describe various nasty things the deity does to the character - and if you're feeling creative, you could even put together a different backlash table for each deity. So Vulcan might engulf them in a pillar of flame, or set their home on fire, or extinguish their torch at an inconvenient moment, while Crom might steal their strength, and Baal might turn their gold into lead, etc.

CruelDespot wrote:
I encourage you to try the second draft; if for no other reason than the quotes should make it more fun to read.

Thanks, I'll check it out.
CruelDespot
Novice

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:31 am    Post subject: 3rd Draft Reply with quote

I have posted the third draft. -> LINK! <-

This draft fixes the goblin and patrician stats thanks to Zadmar's feedback, revises some of the mapping rules, adds some new footnote quotations from classic S&S books, and re-organizes some things.

Also revising the first post so that it links to the latest draft.
Hellfire6A
Seasoned

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish that some of the recently published material for sale would be as complete as this.

This is good stuff!

I especially like the quotes. Along with the art it gives a great feel for where you are going with the material and gives a lot of great ideas.

None are free until all are free!
Hellfire6A
Seasoned

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Question on the Boost/Lower Traits...you have them separated by attribute. If a priest of Crom decides to boost his strength does that also boost his climbing skill.

If a priest of Mars boosts his agility does this also boost his fighting/shooting/throwing?

Clint has posted that boost/lower trait can be used to boost/lower any trait (skill or attribute). Should a miracle worker declare which particular agility trait he is boosting/lowering? Or does the boosting of a particular attribute boost all the skills under that attribute as well?

None are free until all are free!
CruelDespot
Novice

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hellfire6A wrote:
Question on the Boost/Lower Traits...you have them separated by attribute. If a priest of Crom decides to boost his strength does that also boost his climbing skill.

If a priest of Mars boosts his agility does this also boost his fighting/shooting/throwing?

Clint has posted that boost/lower trait can be used to boost/lower any trait (skill or attribute). Should a miracle worker declare which particular agility trait he is boosting/lowering? Or does the boosting of a particular attribute boost all the skills under that attribute as well?

Hmm. That's an interesting question. I see your point. Not much point in just boosting the attribute if it doesn't help the related skills, as it would in some other RPGs. There would be some advantages to raising certain attributes even if it didn't boost related skills: strength for example to increase damage or carrying capacity. Dexterity to boost initiative.

However, by dividing the power into sub-categories I am already making it less valuable. I think that boosting the related skills would compensate so that the boost/lower trait powers would still be worthwhile. Therefore, I think I should specify that boosting a trait also boosts all the skills for that trait by the same amount. if you boost agility, then you also boost climbing, fighting, etc.

What do you think?
CruelDespot
Novice

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have posted the fourth draft -> LINK! <-

This version changes the boost and lower trait spells in response to Hellfire6A's question. Also adds a few new footnotes, fixes typos, and adjusts formatting.

Also revised the first post so it links to the new draft.

I don't plan to make any more changes for a while (at least a few months) unless someone has corrections or recommendations.

I hope you enjoy.
eric.kiser
Novice

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CruelDespot, did you use the Adventurer Conqueror King RPG as inspiration for any of this. If not, it might make a nice resource to help with what you are doing. I am reviewing your work and will post about it in the next few days or so.
CruelDespot
Novice

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

InfecTED wrote:
CruelDespot, did you use the Adventurer Conqueror King RPG as inspiration for any of this. If not, it might make a nice resource to help with what you are doing. I am reviewing your work and will post about it in the next few days or so.

In fact, I am playing in an ACKS campaign right now (or was, and probably will be again when I get back home). As versions of D&D go, one of the things I like about ACKS is that provides some rules for economics, domain management, etc. - some of the same elements I am trying to provide in Savage Legacy.

Having said that, I don't think anything in Savage Legacy was derived from any of the specific rules in ACKS, at least not consciously. The biggest inspiration for Savage Legacy was the Pendragon RPG. The Random Realm and Domain Event tables were inspired by the original D&D Oriental Adventures book by Gary Gygax.

The domain management rules for ACKS require you to count every gold piece. That's fine for ACKS because it is supposed to be crunchy in an old-school way, but I wanted something more fast furious and fun.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW Home-brew Settings & Conversions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: