Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Savage Worlds Showcase

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW General Chat & Game Stories
View previous topic :: View next topic  
redstarronin
Novice

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 2:44 pm    Post subject: Savage Worlds Showcase Reply with quote

Hey everyone. I am planning on running a savage worlds mini-adventure at a local convention for FREE RPG DAY in a few weeks. I would like to show people, locally, why we all love this system and hopefully get a few people to try it for themselves.

That being said, is there a particular setting, one-sheet, or savage tale that showcases the many benefits of the savage worlds setting to newcomers? I was hoping that there might be some sort of promo-pack adventure that would include a relatively short game, but have tons of the different pieces of the savage worlds setting. Is there something like this available? Or am I going to have to create my own?

Also....while I have been running various RPG's for the past 15 years, I am completely new to conventions and running something at a convention. Are there any tips/advice that any of you convention veterans can give?

Thanks
Virgobrown72
Heroic

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pre Gen Characters. Have them, and have a variety of them.

Know your Adventure backwards and forwards.

Multiple copies of your materials. An unfortunate soda spill can destroy a session!!!

When players want to do stuff, don't say no. Let them attempt it, even if it's crazy.

Plenty of rest, and hydrate.

Have fun!!! Wink
HawaiianBrian
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have asked a similar question on the boards before. At the moment all I know about are the one-sheets available for download and the "Wild Hunt" game that is packaged with the quick start (which was the Free RPG Game Day adventure a couple of years ago). They are all fine adventures but either didn't tickle my interest as a GM or didn't cover enough of what Savage Worlds can do.

I'll also be running a Savage Worlds game at our local (Portland, OR) FLGS for free RPG day. At the moment I plan to just run a fantasy adventure of mine, probably in the Beasts & Barbarians setting. People around here suggest not doing fantasy as people's first introduction to Savage Worlds (because they are bound to try and force it to behave like D&D and then get frustrated when that doesn't happen) but fantasy has the added benefit of being a universal shorthand which doesn't need extensive setting explanations for noobs -- just sit down, pick a character, and play.
ogbendog
Legendary

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would think an adventure that doesn't require a lot of backstory. Fantasy usually works because most people know the tropes, but there are other options if you want to avoid fantasy.

A modern mundane setting
A modern monster hunting / fantasy type setting
A star wars or etc homage / rip - off
A setting that can be easily described "It's a western, but there are monsters and mystical powers!" "It's WWI, with magic and the Red Baron rides a dragon!"
Lawngnome4hire
Novice

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like something like this also. I've been talking up Savage Worlds to my group since I discovered it a couple months ago. Would be nice to have a one shot adventure that shows off what the system can really do.
ogbendog
Legendary

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My first campaign was a fantasy, but I did one with the characters in the Army. They had a platoon of 40 guys.

I wanted to show off the ease of running large fights.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW General Chat & Game Stories All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: