Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

[SPC] Power levels

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW Official Settings & Companions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Suicide Kinf
Novice

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 2:28 am    Post subject: [SPC] Power levels Reply with quote

Hey there

I'm still in the process of reading the SPC, a thought has come up and I haven't been able to find the answer (yet).

Is there any connection between level (Novice, Seasoned, etc) and how many power points / levels a power can have? Obviously there is a limit on how many points you have overall, but is there a limit on how much a character can have in a single power?

The reason I am concerned with this is from experience from other point-buy systems where characters work fine if people create balanced characters... but a character focus on, say, winning initiative and doing pure damage was unbalanced.

I am looking at the book as a way to play the Kerberos club setting, and the Wild Talents rules had this specific problem - combat of any kind was extremely hard to balance because power levels were all over the place. There was no connection between power level (total points in character) and how many points one could spend on a single power.

Looking at it though, even if I spend all of a novice super's points on getting Attack, Ranged... he is only going to be doing about 4d6 damage, or 5d6 RoF 2 if we're counting the full 15 points available. Dunno if that is over the top.
Zadmar
Legendary

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's no limit, other than how many Power Points you've got (i.e., 5 per rank). In fact one of the archetypes in Necessary Evil (which uses the same system) has all 15 PP invested into Attack, Ranged.

In my experience, such characters usually do pretty poorly, as they invariably have glaring weaknesses that can be exploited by the enemy. It's usually more effective to spread the points around a bit (particularly if you're using devices).

Attack, Ranged is a strong power, but even if I was building a character around it I'd reserve at least a few points for defensive abilities.
kronovan
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:48 am    Post subject: Re: [SPC] Power levels Reply with quote

Suicide Kinf wrote:
I am looking at the book as a way to play the Kerberos club setting, and the Wild Talents rules had this specific problem - combat of any kind was extremely hard to balance because power levels were all over the place. There was no connection between power level (total points in character) and how many points one could spend on a single power.

I don't know much about the Kerberos Club setting, but I'd think twice about using any of the SPC for it. From my understanding of that setting it's set in the Victorian era. That means you're going to be bringing PC's with Heavy Weapon rated powers up against Victorian era weapons. If that's your intent you'll definitely be having balance issues. Even if you go with the street hero option for levels of power, they'll be overpowering. I may have misunderstand your intent there, so ignore that if I got it wrong.

Quote:
Looking at it though, even if I spend all of a novice super's points on getting Attack, Ranged... he is only going to be doing about 4d6 damage, or 5d6 RoF 2 if we're counting the full 15 points available. Dunno if that is over the top.

At 5-30 points of damage, and that's not accounting for acing of any of the dice, thats potentially serious damage. To even things up you can always bring in higher ranked enemy NPCs. If you're adventuring in a setting built around the SPC, you can also have extra foes that are armed with HW rated ranged weapons - just make sure their IQ is high enough that they now they should be targeting the Hero with the nasty ranged attack. Wink If ever in doubt, you can always use the combat rating formula on pg. 124 of SWD to compare the enemies' rating against that of the party of PC's.
SavageGamerGirl
Heroic

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kerberos Club already has a Savage Worlds supplement. I've got it.

http://www.rpgnow.com/product/82434/The-Kerberos-Club-%28Savage-Worlds-Edition%29?term=kerber

If you've already got another version of KC, here's the setting rules they use from the SPC.

In general it's a Baseline campaign, but early on it's more or less Street Level. Near the end of the Strange era, the GM has the option of going to Cosmic Level. I wouldn't advise that, though. Just stay Street Level or Baseline.

They also use the Inherent Power option (all characters get AB: Superpowers for free) and Natural Growth (characters get the Power Points Edge for free at each rank, including Novice).

Thus, a starting character, taking the Super Karma option, can begin play with 20 power points. (10 from the AB, 5 from Karma, and 5 from the free Power Points Edge).

If you're concerned about power creep, I'd keep it Street Level, with all characters being effectively Minor Leaguers.

To borrow a phrase from Clint...

Hope that helps!
Suicide Kinf
Novice

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! That helps a lot. I was debating whether I should pick the Kerberos Club book up, seeing as I already have one.

Kronovan brings up a valid point, and this was also something I thought about when using the Savage Worlds rules to run a Shadowrun game. The Magic powers are a lot more impressive when you compare them to medieval tech... Should there be some kind of scaling involved? Power them up a bit in future settings, power them down in earlier times?

Perhaps with the option they give of scaling the power points? The more modern, the better reason to hand out more power points?

Anyway, I am not too concerned about it. The weaponry of the 1860's in the Kerberos Club setting are roughly the equivalent of 1950's tech. Hell, in some ways they are a lot more advanced... they have flying battleships.
Select groups can even have access to more advanced weaponry, like Tesla guns and so on. Part of the army is robots... and so on.

It is my impression that the baseline balance of Savage Worlds is kinda-sorta the current era. The numbers add up the best if faced with modern weaponry. Not sure where I got the impression from, but the explorers edition certainly seems to focus on the modern era in terms of gear/equipment.

The reason I'm looking at Savage Worlds is because my group is having some issues with the WIld Talents system. One of them is the issue mentioned above, there are others...

So, thanks for the advice. I think there are incentives enough to make a broad character... especially with the way the Savage World system works.
newForumNewName
Heroic

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suicide Kinf wrote:
It is my impression that the baseline balance of Savage Worlds is kinda-sorta the current era. The numbers add up the best if faced with modern weaponry. Not sure where I got the impression from, but the explorers edition certainly seems to focus on the modern era in terms of gear/equipment.

If you read the making of savage worlds you'll see that the original design started from a wild west minis game.

"While nFNN could be less of a jerk about how he says what he says, what he says is essentially correct." -- ValhallaGH
kronovan
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suicide Kinf wrote:
Anyway, I am not too concerned about it. The weaponry of the 1860's in the Kerberos Club setting are roughly the equivalent of 1950's tech. Hell, in some ways they are a lot more advanced... they have flying battleships.
Select groups can even have access to more advanced weaponry, like Tesla guns and so on. Part of the army is robots... and so on.

You should be fine then to use the SPC's power system in the setting. Just don't lose sight of the fact that your heros will only be able to be damaged by heavy weapons and will mow down squads of mooks with relative ease - the latter isn't a really a problem if you bring Heavy Weapon equipped NPCs or vehicles into adventures. I'd recommend creating a few standard and Street Hero level PC's using the SPC's power system and then comparing their combat ratings with some of the settings tougher NPC's.
SavageGamerGirl
Heroic

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suicide Kinf wrote:
Thanks! That helps a lot. I was debating whether I should pick the Kerberos Club book up, seeing as I already have one.

That's a tough call. Having all the stats and weapons in SW format is good, and they present a small but interesting selection of new Hindrances and Edges suited for the setting.

I don't know if that's enough to justify a whole new book, though. That's your call, I suppose.

If you do get the SW book, here's some errata I found for it. Most if it is in the NPCs point costs.

http://www.peginc.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=34746
steelbrok
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suicide Kinf wrote:
Thanks! That helps a lot. I was debating whether I should pick the Kerberos Club book up

The weaponry of the 1860's in the Kerberos Club setting are roughly the equivalent of 1950's tech. Hell, in some ways they are a lot more advanced... they have flying battleships.

I wondered about Kerberos too, as I already have S:1889 I didn't see much need for it

...Then I saw the line about flying battleships...
Suicide Kinf
Novice

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The brilliant thing about Kerberos Club is not the rules, it's the setting and the flavor Smile

It's one of the most well made settings I have ever played in. Almost every page drips with flavor and mood. In spite of the setting being "everything AND the kitchen sink", the author manages to tie it all together very well. Perhaps by using the strong historical bent of the setting... it makes it a cohesive hole, instead of just a whole bunch of random things thrown together.

A drawback is that at least in the Wild Talents book, the author sometimes demonstrates a rather poor grasp of the rules. Perhaps the SW book will be better, I can hope. SW is a more straightforward system than Wild Talents.
SavageGamerGirl
Heroic

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish with KC that they'd done what Green Ronin ultimately did with Freeport.

That is, to make one rules-free book that just details the setting, and then do a series of smaller books that have the game stats for pertinent NPCs, equipment, and so on for various RPGs.
Boldfist
Heroic

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suicide Kinf wrote:
The brilliant thing about Kerberos Club is not the rules, it's the setting and the flavor Smile

I agree very strongly with this statement! I love the setting and the flavor. Using the SPC with it is very easy and it's also very easy to just swap in NPCs from the SPC into Kerberos Club.
SavageGamerGirl
Heroic

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

steelbrok wrote:
I wondered about Kerberos too, as I already have S:1889 I didn't see much need for it

Space: 1889 and Kerberos Club aren't really interchangeable. KC is a more or less typical superhero setting wound back 100 years. Instead of the first superhumans showing up in the 1930's, they started showing up in the 1830's. By the middle and end of the century, they're as common they are in Marvel or DC. There's faeries, magic, Atlantean invasions, steampunk superheroics, and so on.

Quote:
...Then I saw the line about flying battleships...

Among other things! Like Ida Lovelace being sort of like Mom in Futurama! Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW Official Settings & Companions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: