Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

[IZ] Jet Set Zero

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW Home-brew Settings & Conversions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cripple X
Seasoned

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:52 pm    Post subject: [IZ] Jet Set Zero Reply with quote

So I may have had the craziest idea that I've ever had for a campaign. A few weeks ago saw the re-release of one of my favorite video-games ever Jet Grind Radio/Jet Set Radio. It's a game that follows a group of Rollerblading Teenagers as they try to protect their city and their turf from Rival Gangs, Crooked Cops, and Corporations out to dominate the world...and they do it all through Graffiti tagging. Maybe it's just me, but this seems like it could make for a really fun campaign with some minor tweaks. The anti-authority thread that runs through it screams cyberpunk, so I was thinking why not kick it into the future to add a little twist to it? Gun Metal Games' Interface Zero seems to be perfect because its got several thing that to support such a campaign. For one, you could replace the spray-paint graffiti with Hyper-Reality advertisement hacking from Interface Zero. You could use the street-cred mechanic to measure how well known and influential your character and their art is. You could also use a modified version of the Jump Bike Racing rules to simulate Tagging Runs.

The Campaign would start small with just a few kids trying to protect their block from Gangbangers and the crooked cops, helping themselves and their neighbors and sort of escalate from there with the PC intentionally or inadvertently taking on bigger threats and gain more renown and having more kids join their gang. It may be a little less gritty than standard, since violence isn't a mechanic the characters use (though the villains certainly do) but I think it could work with the right group.

One thing I'd have to figure out is a future version of rollerblades/skateboards. Perhaps they give every character the Fleet-footed Edge and have a slot for an upgrade or two? Anybody have thoughts here?

Anybody else played JGR/JSR and see it or just think the idea is a good one? Or am I just off my rocker?
DavidJ
Heroic

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never heard of the video game, but it sounds fun, as does this campaign.

It's definitely got a cool IZ vibe, and I could see all sorts of issues crop up; gang turf rumbles, cops chasing them -all sorts of things.

Very cool ideas.
kronovan
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I played the 2nd game -Jet Set Radio Future- with my kids on 1 of the consoles; the Xbox IIRC. This is a great campaign idea and about the only premise I can think of that could make IZ suitable for young teens, maybe even preteens. Digital tagging HR objects would be a hoot. Running this could prove to be a bit of a challenge for the GM though, because you'd absolutely need to play cool music like the videogame whenever the action got heavy. Cool
Cripple X
Seasoned

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the feedback guys. The campaign would be something I'd have to run online as I haven't had any luck finding any roleplayers who live close enough to me to form a regular group.
OSIAdept
Legendary

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

strange but interesting..
LOL it was all fun an games the the rival gang brought out the assault rifles

My online art portfolio
http://paintedsamurai.deviantart.com/

Black Stag Publishing
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Black-Stag-Publishing/223736847644167?sk=wall
Virgobrown72
Heroic

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im seriously feeling this idea!!! Wink
Cripple X
Seasoned

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea, me too. I'm still working stuff out, but if I can find enough people interested I'm going to try and run this online.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW Home-brew Settings & Conversions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: