Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Making things hard for your players
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW General Chat & Game Stories
View previous topic :: View next topic  
VonDan
Legendary

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the thread title bring to mind the Donna Summer Song

"She works hard for the Bennys"
Locke
Novice

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know that this idea will end up being essentially the same, mechanically, as adding in negative circumstance modifiers to the players' rolls, but what do you all think about requiring raises on rolls instead of imposing penalties? For example, the party needs to bypass security to retrieve the Macguffin from the Big Bad's super vault, but the vault's lock is so difficult to crack that the Thief needs to get two raises on her Lockpicking roll to succeed.

Again, I know it ends up being pretty much sixes on mechanics. It just seems like the players might be less likely to riot in this kind of situation. Smile
farik
Seasoned

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Requiring 2 raises is like a-8 modifier. That's pretty harsh in my opinion.
ValhallaGH
Legendary

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Locke wrote:
I know that this idea will end up being essentially the same, mechanically, as adding in negative circumstance modifiers to the players' rolls, but what do you all think about requiring raises on rolls instead of imposing penalties?

Penalties are kinder. There's more granularity. Each raise required is a -4 on the roll; there are three numbers before 4, and any of them may be a better representation of the penalty.

I've used "cumulative successes" before. "This requires three successes on a Lockpicking (-2)." I don't care if that's from a success with two raises or from three consecutive successful rolls - as long as there are three "got it"s then I'm happy.

Oh, and your suggestion devalues the Raise. Rolling a raise should be a good thing! It shouldn't be a 'crap, I almost got' moment. That's one of the reasons I tell my players most of their penalties up front - so when they roll a raise, it really feels like it. Cool
Locke
Novice

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those are excellent points, Valhalla. I hadn't considered that requiring raises for things might take some of the fun away from getting a raise. I think it came from prepping for the wrap-up of my Necessary Evil game, where the plot point mentions something about requiring two raises on a roll to accomplish something. I'll just need to work out exactly how I want to handle difficult tasks.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW General Chat & Game Stories All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: