Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Setting to fatal?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW General Chat & Game Stories
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Drieddead
Novice

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 12:12 am    Post subject: Setting to fatal? Reply with quote

So I have been running a homebrew setting, I'm not gonna bore you with the details but its baisicly a modern day Rippers.
The first session i had a TPK. The party died to an encounter with 5 cultist and 1 wild card caster. Only 2 mooks were left when they killed the party.
Second session no one died. Third session TPK again Sad . They had to kill 3 creatures.... the first two were killed in one round of combat. The third was a wild card with the same stats except he had 2 more toughness.
The fourth session no one died. Just got done playing the fifth session and I killed 2 PCs, but this adventure was pretty tough.
The worst part is I love it Twisted Evil . The players enter every room like it could be their last. Every strange sound they hear they wonder what horrid monstrosity is waiting in the darkness to make them re-roll their characters.

So what do you think? Everyone always says their haveing a blast. Too fatal, or just right for a setting where your job is to hunt down evil not meant for man to know?
sablemage
Seasoned

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. I think the casualty rate is fine for the setting, personally. Although with it that high, I'd be urging players to use archetypes for their characters for speed of generation.

2. It might get old after a while.

3. As long as everyone is having fun, you're doing it right.
Khonger
Novice

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed. If your players are still having a good time, keep doing what you're doing.
Dracones
Seasoned

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It'd be interesting to know what stats your throwing up against your players. That seems like a pretty high TPK rate.

Is it random wild dice explosions that are taking them out(random 5 wound hits) or are you just wearing down the player bennies until they fall?
Drieddead
Novice

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first TPK was just pure dice failure. The party couldnt hit anything and I was aceing like crazy with double tapping mooks. The mooks had D6 in all attributes and a d6 shoot and notice with glocks, and the caster was the novice mage out of the fantasy companion but was a wild card.

The second TPK was even worse as far as dice rolls went. The first two encounters with the creatures (baisicly the Licktors from Resident Evil 2) were both 1 shot kills for the party. They seen them and killed them. The last one finaly got to use his special abillty and one shoted a player. I fudged dice for 4 rounds after that to give the other 2 pcs a chance but they couldnt hit or injure the thing. I dont remember the exact stats but i remember their pary was 6 and toughness was 6, but the wild cards was 8 toughness.

This last session I am responsible for the deaths. It was a giant zombie. I used the giant stats from the fantasy companion but reduced the size from +5 to +3 ( So it was like an 8 foot tall zombie and not a 20 foot tall zombie) and gave the giant the undead abillitys. They were kinda at fault though. Had 2 guys in melee range with it that didnt need to be there and he had improved sweep.
ValhallaGH
Legendary

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're using good tactics (i.e. Double Tap). Are the players? Because if they aren't then you're probably playing too hard against them. Sometimes known as "the school of hard knocks" method of instruction.
Drieddead wrote:
i remember their pary was 6 and toughness was 6, but the wild cards was 8 toughness.

Any particular reason for that change? If it's just "to be tougher", being a Wild Card generally does that very well (multiple wounds, bennies, wild die when soaking or unshaking). A simple +1 toughness can be a huge benefit, letting you ignore damage that would shake the lesser guy, and be un-wounded by damage that would wound the lesser guy. +2 is about as good as a +1 parry in an all-melee game.

RE: Giant. Did you drop his Strength at all? Heck, why didn't you just use an Ogre with the Undead trait? Sounds easier, better balanced, and otherwise the same.

Edit: If everyone is having fun then you're doing good. But I've been that guy that had to make six PCs for a campaign - it gets old after a while, especially when I'm dying for doing what I'm supposed to do.
CitizenKeen
Seasoned

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darn. An example of when grammar matters.

I was really excited when I saw "Setting to fatal" and I thought "Setting Savage Worlds to fatal? I have to read that - I already thought Savage Worlds was really fatal!"

Alas.
Drieddead
Novice

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CitizenKeen wrote:
Darn. An example of when grammar matters.

I was really excited when I saw "Setting to fatal" and I thought "Setting Savage Worlds to fatal? I have to read that - I already thought Savage Worlds was really fatal!"

Alas.

Sorry I noticed it as well after i posted it Embarassed . Should be Setting too fatal
Drieddead
Novice

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ValhallaGH wrote:
You're using good tactics (i.e. Double Tap). Are the players? Because if they aren't then you're probably playing too hard against them. Sometimes known as "the school of hard knocks" method of instruction.

Yep they sure are! Double tapping, wild attacking, sweep and all that good stuff.
Drieddead wrote:
i remember their pary was 6 and toughness was 6, but the wild cards was 8 toughness.

ValhallaGH wrote:
Any particular reason for that change? If it's just "to be tougher", being a Wild Card generally does that very well (multiple wounds, bennies, wild die when soaking or unshaking). A simple +1 toughness can be a huge benefit, letting you ignore damage that would shake the lesser guy, and be un-wounded by damage that would wound the lesser guy. +2 is about as good as a +1 parry in an all-melee game.

When they encountered the creature it looked injured with a large buldgeing tumor on its side. It burst and came out armored. It was supposed to be a rapidly evolveing creature with a hive mind like abillity. Unfortunatly they got TPKed and i never really got to explore the whole idea I had.

ValhallaGH wrote:
RE: Giant. Did you drop his Strength at all? Heck, why didn't you just use an Ogre with the Undead trait? Sounds easier, better balanced, and otherwise the same.

You are correct sir! I wish I had thought of that my self insted of spending 30 minutes re-arrangeing the giants stats lol.

ValhallaGH wrote:
Edit: If everyone is having fun then you're doing good. But I've been that guy that had to make six PCs for a campaign - it gets old after a while, especially when I'm dying for doing what I'm supposed to do.

Thats one of the things Im afraid of. After a while makeing a new character every other adventure is going to get stale. Fortunatly we change settings, and GMs every 4 sessions or so.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW General Chat & Game Stories All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: