Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Who would be interested in an Apocalypse Companion?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW General Chat & Game Stories
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aki
Seasoned

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 9:26 am    Post subject: Who would be interested in an Apocalypse Companion? Reply with quote

"Forget the 99%, the 1%, and the 47%. We are the 10% - that survived. Can you?"

My Fallout game and rules worked out pretty well, but I'd like to expand on it and I think the Apocalypse genre has enough room to make for a companion book like the Super Heroes, Fantasy, and Horror Companions. It has slight overlap with each of these (Zombies hordes being a staple even with the ghouls of Fallout).

My starting point would be taking the Fallout book and filing off the serial numbers so it's not a lawsuit sponge, then expanding the rules to deal with different end time and mutation scenarios.

Would there be an interest in such a book or is this something I should keep to myself?
Zadmar
Legendary

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The apocalpyse might be caused by zombies (WotD, World War Z, The Walking Dead), aliens (Independence Day, War of the Worlds, Vampire Earth), nuclear war (Fallout), disease (The Stand, I Am Legend, Daybreakers), magic (Rifts, Kate Daniels), the general collapse of society (Mad Max), or something else.

But regardless of the cause, the emphasis is usually on the human-based challenges. The zombies, aliens, etc, are typically handled as more of a background danger/challenge when compared to things like dwindling resources, rampaging biker gangs, local warlords, etc - not to mention the ever-present psychological dangers such as losing your sanity and/or humanity.

War of the Dead has a pretty cool and detailed storyline, but it wouldn't take a great deal of effort to replace the zombies with aliens, or triffids, or mutated monsters. When you really look at it, most of the adventures are about people, how they survive (or die), and how they react when they lose everything they once knew.

I think the theme could make a pretty good (and generic) companion. It would certainly include some crossover with other books, but there should be enough new content to make it worthwhile. My only concern is that it might end up being very similar to World of the Dead.
farik
Seasoned

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd want an apocalypse companion to consist of a wide spectrum of dials and options like the horror companion. I would want it to focus on things like travel, scavenging, and expanded rules on hostile environments. If done right I think it should just as easily be called "Survival Companion".
Virgobrown72
Heroic

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

D20 Apocolypse book, and it works really well for post apocolyptic thingies!!! Very Happy It hits you off with different causes, post apocalyptic societies, tons of random tables for EVERYTHING, and even a few campaign ideas!!! A must for post apocolyptic gaming if you don't mind savaging a few things... Wink
K.G. Carlson
Novice

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You had me at Apocalypse Mr. Green

Yes please!
VonDan
Legendary

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are several on Savage Heroes you can look over, but I have only read the "Savage Apocalypse" by Reeves and that is a a good conversion of gamma world but can be used for other settings. I only see V1.1 on savage heroes now but I have a v2.0 (and now i see even the v1.1 is a dead link)

If Reeves is listing let us know whats up and ware and if you want v2.0 hosted
warrenss2
Heroic

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Who would be interested in an Apocalypse Companion?"

ME!!!!
Takeda
Heroic

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be interested for sure! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Sam: "Dude, you're not gonna poke her with a stick?"
Supernatural Quotes
Aki
Seasoned

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can see the cover, the girl that's on the cover of all the companion books, giving the pip-boy style thumbs up pose. Clothing would be suitably torn and battered.
TeknoMerk
Seasoned

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the most current version of Savage Apocalypse (2.0) on savagepedia, since I have tried several times to contact the Savage Heroes owner to update my file there. That site seems like it's abandoned, since I receive no response and see no updates.

SA started as a conversion for Metamorphosis Alpha and Gamma World to Savage Worlds. Then it grew into more of a toolkit to create your own post-apocalypse setting. If anyone has suggestions for expanded sections, corrections, clarifications, then please let me know.

Have fun with SA! I am still hoping that Pinnacle will do a post-apocalypse companion, since there is more subject matter that could be covered...

David

Savage Apocalypse 2.0

Savage Apocalypse Hero Sheet

Creator of Savage Apocalypse
Kodyax
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm someone who really likes print books and if this was available say as a print on demand book I would order myself a copy as soon as I could scrape the funds together. D20 Apocalypse was mentioned and it's a great mine for ideas, you just need D20 Future and D20 Modern to use it on its own. Related to this is the version of Gamma World from Arthaus which was published through White Wolf and was D20 Modern based.

The idea of making this a toolkit is worthwhile and I encourage this line of thinking. In some ways a GM like me already has some basic ideas of what they want and are just looking for some new ideas or some pre-fabricated toys to use in game.
SeeleyOne
Seasoned

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darwin's World was originally written for d20. It also has an official Savage Worlds version. Darwin's World has the Fallout style but has a larger scale (but from what I have seen published so far is still limited to what was once the United States).

I do not know how to make URLs look special (in that it is word as a hyperlink. Here is the link to the Savage Worlds version: http://www.rpgobjects.com/index.php?c=bundle&b_id=42

One act of kindness by the RPG Objects store is that you can get bundles and it will not charge you for books that you might already have that is also part of a bundle. Their print prices are decent, too, especially if you already have the book in pdf. I wish that other companies would also do this.

I have all of the d20 stuff, but I have not played the SW version as of yet. Looking it over it looks playable. I am playing around with it a bit, making a sort of mash-up of Darwin's World, Deadlands Reloaded, and Vampire Earth. Granted it would not take much of the actual Deadlands setting, instead just using its technology level. And the "indians" would instead be mutants.

To be evil is to live backwards
Cryonic
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kodyax wrote:
I'm someone who really likes print books and if this was available say as a print on demand book I would order myself a copy as soon as I could scrape the funds together. D20 Apocalypse was mentioned and it's a great mine for ideas, you just need D20 Future and D20 Modern to use it on its own. Related to this is the version of Gamma World from Arthaus which was published through White Wolf and was D20 Modern based.

The idea of making this a toolkit is worthwhile and I encourage this line of thinking. In some ways a GM like me already has some basic ideas of what they want and are just looking for some new ideas or some pre-fabricated toys to use in game.

If you're just wanting sources to mine for information (and not game stats) then look no further than SJG's GURPS. All those various sourcebooks are filled with tons of information just waiting to be used in any game system.

Savage Worlds Tales: http://www.daemonstorm.com/category/Categories/Role-playing/Savage-Worlds
SeeleyOne
Seasoned

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Darwin's World gazeteer is free: http://www.rpgobjects.com/index.php?c=product&p_id=29

BluSponge
Heroic

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, please!
Kodyax
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cryonic wrote:
Kodyax wrote:

If you're just wanting sources to mine for information (and not game stats) then look no further than SJG's GURPS. All those various sourcebooks are filled with tons of information just waiting to be used in any game system.

I'd rather converted the d20 Modern of Gamma World thank you very much, I turn to Savage Worlds for all my sci-fi needs.
ValhallaGH
Legendary

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SeeleyOne wrote:
The Darwin's World gazeteer is free: http://www.rpgobjects.com/index.php?c=product&p_id=29

Becomes:
The Darwin's World Gazeteer is free.

Just quote and see how I structured it. Very Happy
SeeleyOne
Seasoned

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Valhalla, it is all the ] between the url and title. I used to know how to do that before but it had been a few years since I had tried it.

jeff
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd take one now please!
Cryonic
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kodyax wrote:
Cryonic wrote:
Kodyax wrote:

I'd rather converted the d20 Modern of Gamma World thank you very much, I turn to Savage Worlds for all my sci-fi needs.

not sure I understand this response...

Savage Worlds Tales: http://www.daemonstorm.com/category/Categories/Role-playing/Savage-Worlds
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW General Chat & Game Stories All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: