Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

[NE/SPC] Transformation power?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW Official Settings & Companions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MagusRogue
Seasoned

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:29 pm    Post subject: [NE/SPC] Transformation power? Reply with quote

One of my players brought up a good point. This system is pretty good at getting most things, but the ability to actually people to something else, like changing someone to a bug or a statue or something, that doesn't seem possible. Reason I bring this up is one of my players is a sorcerer and wanted to turn someone to stone.

Anyone know how to do this with super powers? Or is there a Transform power and im just missing it?

CLINT!!!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Zadmar
Legendary

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 3:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could use Paralysis for a petrification ability, or even make it a trapping of Infection. For permanently transforming someone to stone or into a helpless bug, I'd probably just treat it as a Ranged Attack trapping - in most cases it doesn't really matter if the victim is dead, or a statue, or an ant, the end result is the same; they're gone for good, and no longer a threat.

If you want the option to transform them back, you could perhaps add a new modifier like:

Reversible (+1): All damage and/or affects (including death) caused by this attack can be reversed by the character with a normal action and a Spirit roll. The trappings must be something that can be reasonably reversed (e.g. freezing someone solid, and then later thawing them out again).

Savagepedia also has an unofficial Creation power that can transmute objects from one substance into another (and gives a warning about the possible economic impact), but it's not really intended to be used on living creatures.

If you want to transform someone else into a more viable form (eg turning your minions into grizzly bears to aid you in combat) then there's no real option for that, although I don't think it would break anything if you allowed them to take the power with a target other than themselves. For using the power on someone against their will, you could perhaps create a "Reflective" modifier modelled on Mind Control (but instead of fully controlling their every action, a successful Smarts roll would just force them to accept and use the power).
Clint
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zadmar wrote:
For permanently transforming someone to stone or into a helpless bug, I'd probably just treat it as a Ranged Attack trapping - in most cases it doesn't really matter if the victim is dead, or a statue, or an ant, the end result is the same; they're gone for good, and no longer a threat.

Zadmar is 100% dead on here. Permanent "Transformation" is just Incapacitating a target with a different trapping.

If the player wants an "all or nothing" effect, it's possible to tweak the effects of Attack, Ranged, but it would be easier to just take the 5 point version of Infection and change the effect from Instant Death to "Total Transformation."

www.peginc.com
MagusRogue
Seasoned

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know I never thought about that. Good idea!

Now what about transforming people into something useful, like changing a minion into a demon or a tiger or something? I know there's no known power that does that, as the first gentleman mentioned, but... I dunno. Maybe Summon with a -1 penalty (requires a victim) or something? Or just a trapping of Summon anyhow?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Zadmar
Legendary

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MagusRogue wrote:
Now what about transforming people into something useful, like changing a minion into a demon or a tiger or something?

As I suggested previously, one possibility would be to create a new modifier based on Mind Control.

Another possibility might to make it a trapping for Copycat; instead of duplicating other people's powers, you can instead give people duplicates of your own powers. You could then add another modifier for Copycat:

Reflective (Half): You can't use the power yourself while someone else is using it.

If used on someone against their will, treat it as an opposed Spirit roll (like Negation) or opposed Smarts roll (like Mind Control).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW Official Settings & Companions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: