Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Multiple attacks, damage and soak rolls

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW General Chat & Game Stories
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dr_Automaton
Novice

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:11 am    Post subject: Multiple attacks, damage and soak rolls Reply with quote

I ran a fantasy game with SW a while back and generally liked how the system worked. Now that I'm thinking about running a modern day campaign, I have some questions about multiple attacks. When a character hits a single target with multiple attacks (via autofire, rapid attack, etc.), he resolves the damage for each hit separately, right? Am I correct in assuming that this means the target can be shaken by the first hit, then take a wound from a second shaken result on a subsequent attack from the same action?

Also, it looks to me that if the target wants to attempt to soak the damage from multiple attack actions, he needs to spend one bennie per hit he wants to soak. So, a character that's singled out as the victim an autofire or rapid attack must potentially spend three to six bennies just to stay in the game for one more round. Is that right?
Zadmar
Legendary

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, you're right. When someone empties a machine gun into you, it hurts!
ValhallaGH
Legendary

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 3:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Multiple attacks, damage and soak rolls Reply with quote

Dr_Automaton wrote:
Is that right?

All correct.

There's a reason everyone ducks behind walls when bullets start flying. Mr. Green

If that's not the style you want then there are several ways to change it (and several threads about it, if you want that information).
Dr_Automaton
Novice

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the responses. ValhallaGH, if you happen to have links to a couple of the better threads available off-hand, I'd love to see them. I've had some thoughts about how I might curb the effectiveness of these attacks a bit, but no sense reinventing the wheel. Smile
ValhallaGH
Legendary

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is some good discussion in the following thread, which (upon re-reading) seems to have all the suggestions for how to de-power ranged attacks and autofire:
www.peginc.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=35907
I know there are more, but they're mixed in with threads to make autofire deadlier. Laughing Not what you're after.

The basic idea is to alter the rules to get the result you're after. So, which result are you after? Are you trying to get A New Hope or Shoot 'Em Up? Is it that heroes almost never get shot despite standing in the open or is is that they use cover, movement, and mad skillz to avoid being shot (and survive the few lucky shots that do hit)?
Each of those goals has a different "best solution".
Clint
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:20 am    Post subject: Re: Multiple attacks, damage and soak rolls Reply with quote

Dr_Automaton wrote:
Also, it looks to me that if the target wants to attempt to soak the damage from multiple attack actions, he needs to spend one bennie per hit he wants to soak. So, a character that's singled out as the victim an autofire or rapid attack must potentially spend three to six bennies just to stay in the game for one more round. Is that right?

The operative word there being "potentially." The likelihood of all three autofire attacks hitting at a base -2 is pretty low, much less the odds of all six Rapid Attacks hitting at -4 vs. Parry (even a d12 Fighting vs. an average Parry of 5 has less than a 1 in 4000 chance and it gets exponentially higher with lower die types).

And even then, it isn't a guarantee of needing 1 Benny per hit. To require an equivalent number of Bennies equal to the attacks that hit, every attack has to do 1 or more wounds which has even lower odds of occurring.

Say the character is hit by autofire three times, and each damage result gets a success. The first causes a Shaken. The player ignores it because the second causes a wound, and when he Soaks it, the Shaken is removed as well. So the last hit only causes a Shaken, which the character can remove at any time with a Benny, so he keeps it for the time being in case he can make it to his action where he gets a "free" roll to recover.

That's three "hits" that only use a single Benny for actual Soaking.

And that doesn't even touch on the potential for the damage rolls to not even meet Toughness and have no effect at all even if they hit.

www.peginc.com
ValhallaGH
Legendary

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:23 am    Post subject: Re: Multiple attacks, damage and soak rolls Reply with quote

Clint wrote:
much less the odds of all six Rapid Attacks hitting at -4 vs. Parry (even a d12 Fighting vs. an average Parry of 5 has less than a 1 in 4000 chance and it gets exponentially higher with lower die types).

I thought melee rapid attack was capped at 3 fighting dice? Or did you sneak that into new errata?

Excellent points, though.
Clint
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:02 am    Post subject: Re: Multiple attacks, damage and soak rolls Reply with quote

ValhallaGH wrote:
Clint wrote:
much less the odds of all six Rapid Attacks hitting at -4 vs. Parry (even a d12 Fighting vs. an average Parry of 5 has less than a 1 in 4000 chance and it gets exponentially higher with lower die types).

I thought melee rapid attack was capped at 3 fighting dice? Or did you sneak that into new errata?

Arrgh. Sorry, need more coffee this morning. #drink

Think my math was off too. Think it's more like 1 in 700. Still, point holds.

Even with a ranged attack with a d12 Shooting, something like a 1 in 200 chance of all of them hitting before even getting into all also meeting or exceeding Toughness.

That said, I'm going to get more coffee before I commit. Wink

www.peginc.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW General Chat & Game Stories All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: