Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Nightbane conversion

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW Home-brew Settings & Conversions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zombi Bobb
Seasoned

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 5:30 pm    Post subject: Nightbane conversion Reply with quote

So I want to run Nightbane using SW, but I am having some trouble converting it. The biggest problem is that I want to not use the SPC. This makes turning the Nightbane themselves into a racial template very difficult. For those who don't know a Nightbane is a person that can voluntarily turn into a horrid creature with crazy powers. (Like Nightbreed but with more oomph) More specifically, they are:
- normal people but can morph slowly (automatic over several actions) or quickly (instantly but with a skill check).
- other form has enhanced senses, physicality, monstrous features, dark powers, regeneration.
- can detect others of their kind. (I forget if that is only in one form or both)
- can "mirrorwalk" into shadow realm. (I forget if that is one form or both)

I want to make them as equivalent to starting humans as possible and am probably going to strip out a couple "givens" they get to make that happen. One big thing is that I don't know how much to make the alternate form cost. Only having your powers when you turn monstrous has got to be worth something, but what?
UmbraLux
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 1:43 am    Post subject: Re: Nightbane conversion Reply with quote

Zombi Bobb wrote:
One big thing is that I don't know how much to make the alternate form cost. Only having your powers when you turn monstrous has got to be worth something, but what?
If you are staying with Nightbane's conceits, the PCs won't be fighting unaugmented humans often. If ever. So I wouldn't worry much about keeping powers to a strictly human level.

As for turning monstrous being worth something, it is if being monstrous has a downside. Otherwise its nothing but flavor. In other words, give the monstrous manifestation a hindrance...that's what its worth.
ValhallaGH
Legendary

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:37 am    Post subject: Re: Nightbane conversion Reply with quote

Check out the Horror Companion's playable werewolves. They're generally considered to be about equal to a human.
Natural weapons: +2, three weapons and two of them are very strong.
Fear (-2): +3-ish
Infravision: +1
Invulnerability: +3-ish
Infection: Null - at least as harmful as it is helpful.
Weakness: -1, as a minor hindrance.
Full Moon Madness: -3-ish, since you become an uncontrolled monster that will eat the rest of the party if it comes to that.
Transformation: -3-ish, as the Gimmick major hindrance but with a very hard (-4) spirit roll.

Zombi Bobb wrote:
- normal people but can morph slowly (automatic over several actions) or quickly (instantly but with a skill check).
- other form has enhanced senses, physicality, monstrous features, dark powers, regeneration.
- can detect others of their kind. (I forget if that is only in one form or both)
- can "mirrorwalk" into shadow realm. (I forget if that is one form or both)

Transformation: Probably a -2 ability - say you require a Spirit roll at -2 to change in one action or three rounds to change slowly.
Enhanced Senses: Infravision or Low-Light vision would probably do this. +1 ability.
Monstrous Features: the Fear special ability. Probably a +2 ability. Increase to a +3 if the Fear check is at a penalty.

Regeneration: how fast and how powerful? Is this just a trapping for Invulnerability, or is it actual healing, and does it happen in seconds or minutes or hours?
Physicality: What kind? What do they gain? +1 die in a physical trait (a +2 ability)? Size? Claws? Any or all of those?

The other tool you have is Racial Edges. Create a few edges that require a character to be a Nightbane to take them. These would be powers that anyone could pick up but that few actually have, or powers that take special training to acquire. They could also be used to get extra increases in the transformed state (more attribute increases, natural attacks, size changes, improved Fear, and so forth).

Best of luck!
Zadmar
Legendary

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Related discussion: [HC] Race Balance

Personally I'd rate the HC werewolf as a +16 race.

Zombi Bobb wrote:
So I want to run Nightbane using SW, but I am having some trouble converting it. The biggest problem is that I want to not use the SPC. This makes turning the Nightbane themselves into a racial template very difficult.

You might find my Supernaturalis cap-setting of interest. The powers are edges, so each could be priced as a +2 racial ability (after applying modifiers). If those are still too strong for your taste, check out 77IM's Arcane Abilities.
Zombi Bobb
Seasoned

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

By physicality, I was trying to sum up their crazy Palladium bonuses. They have about 2 steps increase to Strength, Agility, and Vigor and Fighting would start at d6 in their alternate form. That's too much for my tastes. I'm probably going to cut all of that and make it stuff you can select, but not automatically get.

-2 for the transformation is exactly what I was looking for! Thanks!

Supernaturalis and Arcane Abilities both fit what I'm looking for. There are parts in each that don't fit, but that's why they are what they are and not "Nightbane rules". I'm going to look these over for tweaking and see what I can come up with.
VonDan
Legendary

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Because you mentioned converting a Palladium product Kevin Siembieda is now watching you, check your bathroom closet.
Zombi Bobb
Seasoned

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been pulling wiretaps and micro-cameras out of the most embarrassing places since way back in my Geocities conversion page days.
NovaTosh
Novice

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Nightbane Conversion Reply with quote

I just started work on a Nightbane conversion as well. It's not easy. Being new to Savage Worlds also makes it a little more difficult as I am not familiar with all the rules and internal game-balancing. I love the Nightbane setting. Grant it, I play it a little more street-level intrigue and roleplaying than an out-and-out dark supers (although it definitely has that element).

One thing with converting anything Palladium is that character balance is out the window. For example, from what I have designed so far, a basic Guardian character template is gonna run you a +24 equivalent of advancement points. I have been using Fantasy Companion and Supers Companion to create an Arcane Background: Guardian (or Nightbane) which include the basic set of abilities. The Nightbane is a little bit more involved because they each get their own Morphus with it's inherent abilities. So a basic Nightbane template design without factoring in their Morphus is coming in at a +20 equivalent. Grant it, I have had to take some liberties in creating specific edges for Mirrorwalk, Sense Nightbane, etc. I am not sure how what I have will actually play out in game, but in theory it works in my head.

It's definitely 'home-brew' as each person's concept of what aspects are most important to retain will differ.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW Home-brew Settings & Conversions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: