Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Beanbag rounds

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW Home-brew Settings & Conversions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dr_Mega
Novice

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:15 am    Post subject: Beanbag rounds Reply with quote

Howdy Savages. Working in a space western setting and wanted to get some feedback on a houserule for a party of lawmen who might want to take prisoners...

Beanbag rounds
Beanbag rounds decrease the range of any shotgun to 5/10/20.
They do (1d4-3d4) +2 nonlethal damage.
Beanbag rounds act as a single projectile and donít gain the +2 benefit for shotgun shooting (as with slugs).

I suspect there are some official rules out there but I only have the core book.

Thanks for any and all input.

= DM =
Takeda
Heroic

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd just treat it like a solid slug but make the damage non-lethal. Armour still counts double ... there's no reason why the bean-bag slug need be less aerodynamic. I'd agree, take away the +2 to hit though as that's a representation of the spread of the shot ... with the bean-bag round there is no spread.

Maybe it does 3d6-2 at short range, 2d6-3 at medium and 1d6-4 at long-range. Range increments remain unchanged as per shotgun slug.
Sam: "Dude, you're not gonna poke her with a stick?"
Supernatural Quotes
cdwjava
Novice

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The accuracy for a beanbag round is very short ... With your typical Remington 870 shotgun an aero beanbag round CAN be deployed at between 20 and 75 feet, but optimal ranges tend to fall between 20' and 50'. Having utilized these rounds on suspects, I can tell you from experience that they are not all that accurate and have mixed results. I'd say that anything beyond 50' would be Long range.

The original square beanbags that were first deployed in the 90s were horribly inaccurate and would miss at even 30' The newer aero rounds fly more true, but they are still innacurate beyond 50' and unlikely to strike or be effective beyond 75'.

Here is page 2 of an article that outlines a lot of the available ammo types and their effective ranges:

http://www.policemag.com/channel/weapons/articles/2002/03/punching-bags/page/2.aspx

"Make mine a double mocha ...
And a croissant!"
dstuffle
Novice

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Takeda wrote:
I'd just treat it like a solid slug but make the damage non-lethal. Armour still counts double ... there's no reason why the bean-bag slug need be less aerodynamic. I'd agree, take away the +2 to hit though as that's a representation of the spread of the shot ... with the bean-bag round there is no spread.

Maybe it does 3d6-2 at short range, 2d6-3 at medium and 1d6-4 at long-range. Range increments remain unchanged as per shotgun slug.

A shotgun slug does 2d10 damage, with no +2 to hit and no fall off for range. The fall off of damage for range is also a representation for the shot spread as the shot travels.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW Home-brew Settings & Conversions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: