Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Wizards without damaging spells

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW General Chat & Game Stories
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Birbin
Novice

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 7:49 pm    Post subject: Wizards without damaging spells Reply with quote

Hi,

I'm planning a power list for wizards without damaging spells. Do you have experiences with such a concept in the game?
What about the power level? I suppose they are less competent in combat but some spells still useful like puppet.
Crumbs
Novice

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my deadlands campaign the posse huckster was a pacifist so his entire spell selection was non-damaging. He wasn't hurt in combat at all.

So from my experience it's pretty easy to do and still be useful in combat.

Once you get rid of any spells that cause damage from the spell list you'll see that the utility magic in savage worlds is pretty awesome.
sablemage
Seasoned

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, this can be done.

In my campaigns, characters with few or no damage-inflicting spells tend to focus on Boost/Lower Trait, which they use to buff friends.
Birbin
Novice

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So they won't be very limited. Thanks.
farik
Seasoned

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've designed a few arcane backgrounds without damaging powers. They usually focus on being information or protection/healing based. They work fine as long as the expectation is clear during character creation what those types of arcane backgrounds are capable of.
SeeleyOne
Seasoned

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have played several spellcasters that don't have spells that cause damage. Those characters are more of a "support role", and now that I think about it, they became the party leader.

Healing spells and spells that help your allies be cool in some way are great. As are information and detection-type spells. You don't necessarily need a special form of Arcane Background, as Magic, Psionics, and Miracles handle the concept just fine. Making edges that make those other spell types an attractive option are a good idea, like maybe a Healer edge that makes it so that Healing and Greater Healing cost half as much, and maybe Greater Healing is available as a Novice or somesuch.

It all comes down to niche, though. I like for each PC to have some sort of niche or style. When I used to play GURPS there are many times that I accidentally stole the niche of other characters. Savage Worlds actually works better in this regard, as in GURPS the skills are based on your attribute, so if you have Smarts d10 your Smarts skills start out higher than those that have a lower Smarts. I had a high Smarts character that had a higher skill in his hobbies than other characters had in their specialties.

To be evil is to live backwards
sablemage
Seasoned

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two very successful builds I've seen:

1. Boost/Lower Trait and Taunt. This guy used to buff his friend's Fighting, lower the opposition's, and then dance around the outside of the fight using Taunt to Shake the opposition.

2. Holy Warrior, Banish and Boost/Lower Trait. This lady uses Holy Warrior's repulse power and Banish to thin out or Wound the enemy, then boost her husband's PC to finish them off or sneak around their flank. More of a cleric really I suppose, in that the PC is optimised for dealing with undead.
Gammon23
Novice

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also entangle is always useful.
Lord Inar
Heroic

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree to all this. In our game, buffing/healing the party's Grim Servant o' Death made for a fairly lethal combination.
Best Internet page ever
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW General Chat & Game Stories All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: