Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Armor and Spellcasting
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW General Chat & Game Stories
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SeeleyOne
Seasoned

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I was just thinking about the chemistry and iron. I am going to venture to say that the reason that it may hurt Fairies is that they do not have blood like we do

To be evil is to live backwards
Zadmar
Legendary

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cryonic wrote:
If iron interferes with spellcasting, then nothing with hemoglobin (oxygen carrier in most creatures blood) can cast spells as blood uses iron to loosely attach with oxygen.

It really depends how much it interferes. The human body usually contains around 4-5 grams of iron, which would be about the same as having a few safety pins in your shirt, and considerably less than wearing a watch or belt buckle. If you're ruling that a 50 pound suit of full plate armour gives you a 35% chance of spell failure, while a 25 pound chainmail shirt gives you a 20% chance of spell failure, then you can probably assume that 4-5 grams is small enough not to bother tracking.

As an analogy, think of the way rubber shoes can help insulate you from electricity. But if you get struck by lightning, a pair of rubber socks aren't going to make any noticable difference.
SeeleyOne
Seasoned

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Zadmar, I was wondering about that (being the actual amount of iron in the body).

I am wanting iron to mess with magic, kind of like a power surge or something. It would give Arcane Resistance for a wearer of chain mail, and perhaps Improved Arcane Resistance for full plate armor. I have to sit down and look at the numbers, but that is the off-hand gist of it,

Cryonic
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zadmar wrote:
Cryonic wrote:
If iron interferes with spellcasting, then nothing with hemoglobin (oxygen carrier in most creatures blood) can cast spells as blood uses iron to loosely attach with oxygen.

It really depends how much it interferes. The human body usually contains around 4-5 grams of iron, which would be about the same as having a few safety pins in your shirt, and considerably less than wearing a watch or belt buckle. If you're ruling that a 50 pound suit of full plate armour gives you a 35% chance of spell failure, while a 25 pound chainmail shirt gives you a 20% chance of spell failure, then you can probably assume that 4-5 grams is small enough not to bother tracking.

As an analogy, think of the way rubber shoes can help insulate you from electricity. But if you get struck by lightning, a pair of rubber socks aren't going to make any noticable difference.

True... but the example you cite isn't because of iron in the armor... The rules for the suits in D&D are because they interfere with manual dexterity (ability to finely position various joints).

And in the case of iron in the blood, it is dispersed everywhere and like a small amount of unnatural fiber to Harry, would therefore cause interference.

Savage Worlds Tales: http://www.daemonstorm.com/category/Categories/Role-playing/Savage-Worlds
SeeleyOne
Seasoned

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cryonic wrote:
And in the case of iron in the blood, it is dispersed everywhere and like a small amount of unnatural fiber to Harry, would therefore cause interference.

Perhaps that is why mages are rare. Many settings have it where there is a sort of magical aptitude, which is an inherent gift for magic. Maybe the iron in the blood is why not everybody can cast spells. Some people, those with mage blood, perhaps have something that counteracts the anti-magic in their own blood's iron. Maybe midichlorians (or however they spelled it in Star Wars) Razz

Anyway, I am really liking this discussion. It is helping me to shape the nature of magic for my setting. And I am sure that it is probably helpful to other people that might lurk in this thread. I like making things, even magic, to make sense at least to a certain degree.

Snate56
Legendary

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cryonic wrote:

Way too small an amount of iron, we're talking about heavy concentrations as in chainmail or plate.

Though mostly used as a game balancer, in folklore, cold iron has been the antithesis to magic and magical creatures such as fey beings.
Iron is considered to be the bones and blood of the Earth and as such has power over all things magical and supernatural. Current day witches (and historical) place their hands on the earth to "ground" themselves of excess energy.

Sorry, probably TMI Laughing

And I'll bet Harry would be happy to wear a Kevlar vest, if he were facing mainly gun weilding opponents.

SteveN
ValhallaGH
Legendary

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carlos Ramirez favored Kevlar, lacking a fancy duster. Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW General Chat & Game Stories All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: