Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A GM's Adventure Deck

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW General Chat & Game Stories
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PlatinumWarlock
Seasoned

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 7:19 pm    Post subject: A GM's Adventure Deck Reply with quote

So, in our Friday night Hell on Earth game, we came up with an interesting idea:

The players get the Adventure Deck, right? Alongside their bennies, they get a pretty solid way to mess with the plot or the flow of combat.

By default, there's no SW rules for Critical Fumbles. We've been using a house rule where, if a player rolls snake-eyes, they receive a Bennie, but the GM gets to pick the Worst Possible Result.

What if, instead, the GM could draw from their own Adventure Deck--one designed specifically for plot twists and to make life difficult on the PCs?

Thoughts?
cpk666
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a great idea.

CK

"Tact is just not saying true stuff. I'll pass."--Cordelia Chase
Cutter XXIII
Legendary

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I keep a GM's Adventure Deck on hand at all times... in my mind. Very Happy
Lord Karick
Seasoned

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CitizenKeen
Seasoned

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the idea in theory, but in practice, I don't think "so much." My chief complaints...

(1) - If you're tying them to Critical Failures, well, so then it's hard to relate them to the failure. "You try to Shoot the Big Bad, and you rolled a... SNAKE EYES! I'm going to play my Related to the Sheriff card, and that Big Bad was the Sheriff's brother-in-law!" What?

(2) - More importantly, I feel like it quantifies the roll of the GM. The whole point of being a GM is that it's the power to do anything. I don't want a list of cards to tell me what I can or cannot do. I want the whole of creation in front of me. I've got to keep my players in mind, but I want to be able to think up the Worst Possible Result on Critical Failures (or, really, whenever I'm feeling impish).

My $0.02, of course.
PlatinumWarlock
Seasoned

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess my idea wasn't stated fully up above.

The idea would be that at the start of the game and whenever a Player rolls snake-eyes, the GM would get an Adventure Card. Yes, the GM has "ultimate narrative control"--however that manifests in your game--but the GM Adventure Card would allow periodic breaches of the established rules/social contract/etc.

Example/Case in point:

Alice, Barry, and Carl are playing Deadlands, run by Daryl. They're fighting some ghouls beneath Dodge City's graveyard.

Alice's gunslinger rolls snake-eyes while shooting a ghoul. Daryl gets to draw a GM Adventure Card--let's call it "Forsaken". He could play that card immediately, or hang onto it for later use. Daryl decides to hang onto the card until later.

Later in the combat, Barry's Blessed tries to invoke a miracle to drive back the undead. Barry rolls a success, but Daryl plays his Forsaken card, causing him to automatically fail at the spellcasting attempt.

Does this make more sense, as an example?
tigerguy786
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PlatinumWarlock wrote:
I guess my idea wasn't stated fully up above.

The idea would be that at the start of the game and whenever a Player rolls snake-eyes, the GM would get an Adventure Card. Yes, the GM has "ultimate narrative control"--however that manifests in your game--but the GM Adventure Card would allow periodic breaches of the established rules/social contract/etc.

Example/Case in point:

Alice, Barry, and Carl are playing Deadlands, run by Daryl. They're fighting some ghouls beneath Dodge City's graveyard.

Alice's gunslinger rolls snake-eyes while shooting a ghoul. Daryl gets to draw a GM Adventure Card--let's call it "Forsaken". He could play that card immediately, or hang onto it for later use. Daryl decides to hang onto the card until later.

Later in the combat, Barry's Blessed tries to invoke a miracle to drive back the undead. Barry rolls a success, but Daryl plays his Forsaken card, causing him to automatically fail at the spellcasting attempt.

I know my players would despise that, but if you think your players would be ok with that, then I guess go for it.

Honestly, I don't think messing with their dice rolls results in anything good.
BluSponge
Heroic

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tigerguy786 wrote:
PlatinumWarlock wrote:

I know my players would despise that, but if you think your players would be ok with that, then I guess go for it.

Yeah, I'm not a big fan of that either. If you want to go down that road, I'd advise going with something like 7th Sea had: GM gets a Benny for every one the players spend. With that you buff up your villains, toadies, and effectively cancel out a player's Benny. As a GM, I don't really need a tool to invalidate dice rolls. I can just be a jerk and save myself $20. Wink

Besides, my players tend to spend bennies to make this like snake eyes go away. So I would get much use out of a product like this.

That isn't to say something like a deck of surprises at the GMs fingertips doesn't have merit. Just not in the form you are describing at this point.

Tom
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW General Chat & Game Stories All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: