Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How do I make Ripper tech more Apealing?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW General Chat & Game Stories
View previous topic :: View next topic  
samuraicrab
Seasoned

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:24 am    Post subject: How do I make Ripper tech more Apealing? Reply with quote

So far I have run two rippers games. In both games the PCs completely avoid Rippertech like it was the plauge. How can I get PCs into using ripper tech?
XcomSquaddie
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take away that big ol' restriction on afterlife accomodations, if you get my meaning...
jpk
Legendary

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, why aren't they taking any, and why do you want them to?

If they're scared of complications and you want to give them complications, I don't think you're going to change their behavior.

If they just think it's gross as players, well, too bad.

If their characters just wouldn't have that done, consider a split game between the Face Brigade and the Brute Squad with specialized folks for specialized adventures.

Are they too poor? Have them save someone who can only pay them in implants...maybe who insists on "paying" them in implants!

Just a few thoughts of mine. Make 'em yours! Wink
The GIT!
Heroic

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The original idea of Rippertech, IIRC, was to allow the Rippers a chance to stand up against the Cabal. The implication is that creatures such as werewolves and vampires are just too difficult to defeat regularly without using such techniques as Rippertech.

My advice is make sure the enemy really gives them a run for their money Twisted Evil I haven't run my Rippers campaign for a while but I do intend to return to it soon. The game was left with Imhotep running off with one of the main female NPCs and the group trying to figure out how, once again, they came up short against the enemy. Even with a psionicist with 30 power points they are now giving very serious consideration to Rippertech - starting slowly with potions and then possibly moving up from there Wink
Erpegis
Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ban superpowers and miracles AB (don't remember if there is one), give more ruthless fumbles to Magic/Mad Science.
Clint
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

XcomSquaddie wrote:
Take away that big ol' restriction on afterlife accomodations, if you get my meaning...

Unless they are reading the GM section, that shouldn't influence the players' decision.

So the question is why are they avoiding it? That's what needs to be altered to make it more appealing. Without knowing why, it's just tossing darts blindly and hoping something hits.

www.peginc.com
XcomSquaddie
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clint wrote:
XcomSquaddie wrote:

Unless they are reading the GM section, that shouldn't influence the players' decision.

There are a couple of ways that they could discover that knowledge in-game, plus some players do read things they shouldn't. But you are right, at the start of a campaign they should not have any such knowledge.
VonDan
Legendary

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tell them the Parts come from cute animals like Unicorns not demons
catalac
Seasoned

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VonDan wrote:

whacha smoking and where can i get it because that must be strong stuff lol.
then again... that just might work Twisted Evil
Bavix
Seasoned

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My group has avoided rippertech as well, mainly because the most vocal members are from the Order of Saint George and Rosicrucians factions. Those factions are inherently against rippertech, so they are actually roleplaying well.

When you think about it, the Old Worlders are more bent toward technology, so that really leaves three factions that would be truly benefit from rippertech—the Masked Crusaders, the Slayers, and the Witch Hunters.
Legendary

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bavix wrote:
My group has avoided rippertech as well, mainly because the most vocal members are from the Order of Saint George and Rosicrucians factions. Those factions are inherently against rippertech, so they are actually roleplaying well.

When you think about it, the Old Worlders are more bent toward technology, so that really leaves three factions that would be truly benefit from rippertech—the Masked Crusaders, the Slayers, and the Witch Hunters.

Same thing happened in my group.
4 PCs, one each of the Order of Saint George, Rosicrucians, Old Worlders and Witch Hunters.
So 50% of the characters were vehemently against Rippertech from the start. And the Witch Hunter was an officer in the British Army, so he refrained from modifying his body because he was in such a visible position. And the Old Worlder was content with his Gatling rifle and silver-bladed axe...

"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes 'ding' when there's stuff." - The Doctor (Doctor Who)
Tavis
Heroic

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't have any trouble getting my group to use Rippertech.

Granted, having one of the characters as a practitioner of the art of Rippertech helped as she was always willing to perform an implant if needed.

Some characters refused it on moral grounds (the Order of St. George Priest, the Rosicrucian Scottish Widow didn't want anything of that sort going on in their bodies) others on Practical grounds (The Jack-of-all-Trades Archaeologist didn't want the risk of it going wrong) and a pair of later characters were refused it by the Doctor (The Elderly Chinese Curse-Mage because he was 'too old for surgery' and the Young Street Urchin because he wasn't old enough to understand the risks).

However our "Prize Fighter" was looking for any edge he could get.
The Masked Crusader went for 'socially acceptable' boosts to make his abilities in the night such that he was less likely to have to cover up injuries in the day.
The Doctor developed Rippertech for herself.
The reformed Cabal Soldier turned up with 'tech inbuilt and didn't object to a little more.
And the Soiled Dove was more than eager to take Rippertech that would mean that any man who forced an embrace upon her would regret it!

It all came down to roleplay though, not really game mechanics. (though the prize fighter's player was picking things that gave the most mechanical advantage for him, it also fit the charactet concept of a 'win at any cost' fighter - he ended up being executed by the rest of his lodge when he went too far ... but that's another story)

If it's the players that aren't into the Rippertech, then there's not much you can do. If it's the characters ... then a couple of good beatings will probably make one or two of them think about it - especially if you can play up the successes of another 'rival' lodge (rival in terms of influence or support from the high council or something) that is using Rippertech.

SWD: 50 Fathoms (GM)
Dirty Ernie
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another thought...

Perhaps your player characters take heavy damage during an adventure, lose consciousness, and awake in the care of a strange physician in a neighboring lodge...

Perhaps said physician is of questionable background and moral character...

Perhaps they begin to notice disquieting changes in themselves...

-- Or --

An insidious agent of the Cabal (most likely, some shifty foreigner #1eek13 ) befriends the characters and, over time, introduces larger and larger doses of some horrible extract into their food and drink...

In other words, give Rippertech to 'em on the sly, whether they like it or not. Twisted Evil

T'would be especially dramatic to those characters that are vehemently opposed to it for whatever reason, and a great opportunity for roleplaying.
VonDan
Legendary

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was once a happy swamp ranger from the village of Piddleton on Piddle Creek. I hunted game in Piiddle Fens for the big cities fashion industry. One day i tried to catch a dire Alligator.

I woke up 6 weeks later in the sinking stinking haunted tower of Piddle Fens covered in scars, with a metal plate bolted to my head holding my skull together and one of my arms is not human but a big giant deathly pale whomper with a fist the size of a basketball.
Sadric
Heroic

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I let them meet a NPC Rippertech doctor (and his beloved wive), they helped him and he offered to implant any parts they bring him. And he gave them some potions.
One of the players jumped the chance and take rippertech, the others not, only potions.

But they consult him often for his expertise. His wive (lovely called "queen" or "bee-queen" by him, because he breed bee's) get weaker with each visit, because a wasting illness.

Some day she die and this drive him over the edge. He revieved her as stitchwork wasp/bee queen (deadlands bestiary) . At the final confrontation (the players surprised the two while having intercourse!) she killed the good doctor and flee with his swarm.
"You was a good drone, my love. But now I have to leave you behind. Im full of your love, enough for a strong swarm!"

Some adventure later the players managed to avenge the doctor.

Ups, Wartime story. Sorry. Wink

The Doctor (with fairly high skill and edges) was the thing that moved one of my player to try rippertech.
Enpeze
Seasoned

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your players are just acting like normal human when confronted with the supernatural. And they act like real prude victorians as well. So your players are playing their role very good, why be worried?
sablemage
Seasoned

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

VonDan wrote:

That would definitely work with at least one of my players! Very Happy

(...and who says unicorns aren't actually demons? Twisted Evil )
Noshrok Grimskull
Legendary

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sablemage wrote:
VonDan wrote:

That would definitely work with at least one of my players! Very Happy

(...and who says unicorns aren't actually demons? Twisted Evil )

True.

Very Happy

"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes 'ding' when there's stuff." - The Doctor (Doctor Who)
samuraicrab
Seasoned

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am thinking about dropping the whole 'Reason' system. This wiould make the game more pulp. What are the drawbacks of doing this?
catalac
Seasoned

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

samuraicrab wrote:
I am thinking about dropping the whole 'Reason' system. This wiould make the game more pulp. What are the drawbacks of doing this?

besides your players becoming over powered and you getting head splitting headaches because they do something entirely stupid and/or immoral and you have nothing to reason with them about since you just threw logic and incharacterness out the window?
you mean besides those Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW General Chat & Game Stories All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: