Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

[Moscow Connection 1S] First modern game to run - advice?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW Official Settings & Companions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jhilahd
Novice

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:51 am    Post subject: [Moscow Connection 1S] First modern game to run - advice? Reply with quote

So this'll be my second time running SW's. The first time was for my daughter and her best friend, we played Pirates of the Spanish Main and had a hoot. Lots of sword play and fancy moves.

But... now I've got an opportunity to run for my regular group who have never played SW.

I thought, well we're always playing hero's... "let's be bad guys" and printed out the Moscow Connection One Sheet.
Now it seems pretty straight forward, and there's little in the way of extra complications/investigation what not.
I mean, there is, but very little.

And once they find those card carrying members from "the Base" it's all #gunbattle then they can clean up the mess, should they survive.

So my question is, what are somethings I need to be aware of or concerned about with regards to this adventure. It's my first modern adventure, so auto, semi-auto, cover and the like will come into play. But what else?
Anything?
Am I over thinking this?
Is it short enough, that I need to prep part to from the Deluxe book?

Or should I just run one of the other one-shots inside the Deluxe rules, like the Vikings? Very Happy

Anyway, I'm excited, they're all enthused about trying SW so I needed something short and sweet. I think that this'll fit the bill. Thoughts?
Oh and thanks in advance.
ValhallaGH
Legendary

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lighting is also a big deal, mostly favoring the PCs.
Suppressive Fire. It's useful without being super-dangerous to the PCs, plus it makes for a great description. Use it liberally, rather than simply putting holes into new PCs.
Unarmed defenders and Improvised weapons are likely to come up a lot, since there are two melee PCs and a lot of ranged foes.
Note that the Moscow Connection uses an especially gritty and dangerous version of the damage rules. Read up on it, thoroughly, before you try to use it.
Don't worry about NPC ammo; use the Ammo Level rules under the Allies and assume they start out High. If the PCs scavenge then they find 0 to 2 (0 at Out, 1 at Low, 2 at High) spare magazines plus 1 full magazine in the rifle.

You can always take a different one-sheet and make it modern. Fires of Ascalon? Change the PCs from elves to a national guard unit, and the orcs to foreign troops on ATVs; or make the PCs be outlaws plundering the town and the orcs be law enforcement, trying to stop the town raiders. They're still destroying the town, but it's the granary, inn, and repair garage instead of stable.
Heck, changing the Vikings to be Bigfoot hunters and a local drug-lord scaring people away from his still would make that one pretty modern.
The possibilities are nearly endless. #gunbattle

Regardless, Good Luck!
jhilahd
Novice

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So just got through running this... wow.
Super fast. 3 pcs vs the bad guys. They rolled(no pun intended) the baddies.

Using the gritty rules was nasty.
The man Wild card bad guy got one shot'd by a Louisville Slugger, and a neverending exploding damage die. We got started around 7:30pm, and finished alittle after 9pm. Seemed a bit surreal.
None of my players had played any SW stuff, but they caught on and kept wanting to use bennies for wild stuff. Some I said no, mostly I said yes and through consequences at them. It worked greatly.

I offered to run the next part of the scenario(the one in the deluxe edition) next week or run something else and they were all "ooo let's finish this."

So we'll see how it goes. Reading up on the Chase mechanics now...
ValhallaGH
Legendary

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like it was a roaring success. Congratulations. Cool
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW Official Settings & Companions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: