Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New to Savage Worlds

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW General Chat & Game Stories
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DangerMaus33
Novice

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 1:36 pm    Post subject: New to Savage Worlds Reply with quote

I have been looking for examples of game play for Savage Worlds so that I can read them and become more familiar with how the system works. Does anyone know of anything like this?

-dm
ValhallaGH
Legendary

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Text examples? Not that I'm aware of. There are a few in podcasts, especially on Smiling Jack's Bar and Grill, and The Game's The Thing.

The basic method is the same as for any other RPG:
Narrate things until the Game Master (GM) decides that a task is complicated or variable enough that the player needs to roll some dice.
The player rolls the relevant Trait die and a Wild Die, rolling any Aces, chooses the higher die, and applies any modifiers (bonuses or penalties). If this equals or exceeds the Target Number (TN) then the action succeeds - the TN is 4 for everything except Fighting attacks and Damage. Every 4 over the TN is a Raise, which is a Good Thing - raises often mean the task was more successful, faster, or simply more stylish.
Repeat until time expires or the prepared plot has been completed.

The only kink in the formula is modifiers. Normally that's bonuses from edges, circumstances, or equipment, and penalties from wounds, hindrances, fatigue, or circumstances. But most of those can be ignored by the GM until everyone is comfortable enough with the rules to add that back in.

I hope that helped some.
Welcome to the forums, and to Savage Worlds. If you've got more questions, please feel free to ask them.
GreenTongue
Heroic

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 2:07 pm    Post subject: Re: New to Savage Worlds Reply with quote

DangerMaus33 wrote:
I have been looking for examples of game play for Savage Worlds so that I can read them and become more familiar with how the system works. Does anyone know of anything like this?

-dm

These are old examples but may give a general idea.
http://home.earthlink.net/~djackson24/SWcombatX.htm
and
http://home.earthlink.net/~djackson24/SWnoncombatX.htm
=
Ogma
Heroic

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might also want to listen to some recorded sessions at:

RPGMP3.com

There are recordings of Rippers, Sundered Skies, Necessary Evil, and a few others and most include everything from character creation on up.
Locke
Novice

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another place to check would be the Gamer's Haven Podcast. They have an 18-part actual play for Rippers that doesn't follow the plot points.
jeff
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome aboard!
DangerMaus33
Novice

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone. I will check these out and see if they help give me a better grasp on the game flow. Only so much you can do by reading and running sample encounters by yourself. Smile

-dm
BrotherBen
Novice

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Similarly I am interested in finding out how much I can cover in a 3-4 hour session. How long does a fast, furious, and fun combat usually take?
farik
Seasoned

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BrotherBen wrote:
Similarly I am interested in finding out how much I can cover in a 3-4 hour session. How long does a fast, furious, and fun combat usually take?

I would say if your combat runs a full hour then it was either very complicated and/or very difficult. When I ran Savage Starship Trooper combats with 10 Troopers (5 wildcards and 5 extras each player controlled 1 of each) and 36+ bugs it never took longer than 45 minutes and since then I've learned it should have been even faster but I was dealing too many initiative cards.
Redtwin
Seasoned

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of my tests of the system for my first game was the PCs and about 18 NPC villagers fortifying a town against an invading horde of 30+ orcs with support. I wanted a big fight to see how well the system handled it.

It was resolved in under an hour, and we didn't really know what we were doing yet.

Side note: I had the players vote on the most heroic action each session, and the big hero got a bonus experience point. One of the PCs went down in that fight, and were rescued by a handful of villagers. The players unanimously voted for the villagers, so I made one of them into a Wild Card and he became part of the plot. Smile
jcayer
Seasoned

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My group has recently started playing savage worlds and quickly moved to War of the Dead, a zombie apocalypse setting. I can't get over how much happens in our game sessions.

You can read about the first two game sessions here(shameless plug): http://www.peginc.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=37971

The first session ran about 3 hours. The second closer to 4.5 or 5.

I've found with my group, former 4E'rs, that they've been more interested in the RP/story part than actual combat.
Bavix
Seasoned

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a sci-fi convention game that I've ran several times now that has 10 encounters. This includes the introduction, a couple of investigations, space travel, 2 combats, some cross-country travel, a couple of environmental hazards, and a grand finale that's basically a Dramatic Task.

Each time I ran it was a little faster and smoother, until the last time when I had about 10 minutes left from a 4-hour con game.
Seasoned

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My only piece of advice as you learn the rules is - don't mess with the core rules until you have given it some actual play-through.

All too often, people who take an interest in Savage Worlds for the first time, find a piece of the core rules they don't like or aren't sure about, before they ever try it. The big two victims of such undeserved discrimination are Acing (Exploding Dice) and Bennies.

Don't mess with success - play the system as it was designed, and learn to understand it before you try to tweak it.
Kythkyn
Seasoned

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maine wrote:
My only piece of advice as you learn the rules is - don't mess with the core rules until you have given it some actual play-through.

All too often, people who take an interest in Savage Worlds for the first time, find a piece of the core rules they don't like or aren't sure about, before they ever try it. The big two victims of such undeserved discrimination are Acing (Exploding Dice) and Bennies.

Don't mess with success - play the system as it was designed, and learn to understand it before you try to tweak it.

Bold added: That is great advice. Whenever I start running a new system I always run it RAW. I have learned to do so after many years of thinking that I need to change or tweak this or that first. (I actually thank Mutants and Masterminds for breaking me of that some years back.) Recently a gaming friend wanted to try DMing using SW, and he had some grand changed he wanted to make before running (and having only played the system like twice) but we talked him down. After the second session he thanked us for talking him out of it, because he finally understood some of the rules he was going to change and they made sense to him. So we felt pretty good about that, hehe.

On the topic of what to change initially, my group was already familiar with ideas like open rolls (Aces) and action points (Bennies) so no one batted a lash at those. (Actually, we were glad we didn't have to superimpose an action point rule onto the system like I had done with 3e D&D years and years ago.) The thing that my group was sceptical of was drawing cards for Initiative. But as I said, I like to run RAW when I first run, and after the second or so combat the players were having fun with this mechanic and decided against wanting to tinker with some sort of rolling mechanic.
sablemage
Seasoned

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 3:55 pm    Post subject: Re: New to Savage Worlds Reply with quote

DangerMaus33 wrote:

-dm

Actually, that sounds like fun to do. Give me a couple of weeks and I'll throw something together. It'll also be a learning experience for me as people point out all my tactical mistakes! Smile
sablemage
Seasoned

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DangerMaus33, is this the kind of thing you were looking for?

Fellow Savages: If this is of interest, let me know and I'll do more - it was enjoyable. If I'm not using the rules correctly, please tell me!
Zadmar
Legendary

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sablemage wrote:
DangerMaus33, is this the kind of thing you were looking for?

Fellow Savages: If this is of interest, let me know and I'll do more - it was enjoyable. If I'm not using the rules correctly, please tell me!

Very cool example, although I've a few minor nitpicks.

On turn 1, there's no need to draw initiative cards, because the orcs failed their Notice rolls. The combat hasn't started yet, the humans are just aiming.

On turn 2, when the humans attack, the orcs would make another Notice roll to avoid Surprise (see here). If they succeed the Notice roll, they draw initiative cards, otherwise they don't act that turn. The humans begin the turn on hold, so unless the orcs draw a joker the humans will act first.

As the humans got The Drop, presumably the orcs failed their Notice rolls, therefore they wouldn't be able to act until turn 3. Furthermore, as the orcs were sat (Prone?) around the fire, and sufficiently unaware that the soldiers were able to get The Drop, I would have started them out with their weapons sheathed or on the ground nearby. This is exactly the sort of situation where Quick Draw comes in handy.

Finally, soldier #3 rolled 2d6 for his bow, inflicting 8 damage. Did that include the +4 from The Drop? I'd suggest mentioning it explicitly, as this is an example scenario.

Personally I'd have given the orcs light cover (or even no cover) from the archers, unless the folliage was so thick that the soldiers couldn't get a clear shot, but that's more of a GM's discretion thing.
sablemage
Seasoned

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Zadmar! It's really useful to have someone comment like this.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW General Chat & Game Stories All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: