Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

[Kerberos Club] Pregen suggestions and critiques

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW Licensees
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SavageGamerGirl
Heroic

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 12:21 pm    Post subject: [Kerberos Club] Pregen suggestions and critiques Reply with quote

I'm going to be running KC for Savage Saturday Night at MACE, and will be using the main KC NPCs from the book as pre-gens. I've added a few others to boost the players' choices, such as the Freak (advanced to Seasoned) and the Gentleman Adventurer.

There's one character that I've made up from scratch, and I'm posting it here for input, suggestions, and critique. He's basically a mashup of Wolverine and Connor MacLeod.

BLACK WATCH
Agility d6
Smarts d4
Spirit d8
Strength d10
Vigor d12

Pace 6
Parry 7
Toughness 11
Charisma -2

Fighting d10
Intimidation d6
Notice d6
Shooting d6
Throwing d6

Hindrances
Death Wish
Habit (Hard Drinker)
Heroic
Overconfident

Edges
Brawny
Contacts (military)
Elan
Fast Healer
Improved Sweep
Power Points x3
Super Powers

Powers
Ageless (Immortal); 1 pt.
Regeneration (Unstoppable); Fast; Healing check every round; 15 pts.
Super Attribute (Hale); +3 Vigor; 3 pts.
Super Edge (Training); Improved Sweep; 2 pts.
*Undead (Immortal); 4 pts.
*Black Watch is not actually an undead creature, but his regenerative powers provide him with similar benefits. The Charisma penalty comes from his feelings of being set apart from humanity, an aloofness that causes others some discomfort while in his presence.

William Bernard MacDonald was a member of the Scottish infantry regiment known as the 42nd (Royal Highland) Regiment of Foot — the Black Watch. He was a loyal soldier and an excellent warrior whose skills saw him through many skirmishes for Queen and Country. During one particularly harsh battle in the Crimean War, MacDonald was struck full-on by a cannonball. His companions thought him killed on the spot, but as his remains were carried from the field the surgeon noticed his grievous injuries knitting back together, his wounds closing, and his severed limbs reconnecting to their bloody stumps. Shortly thereafter, he was dismissed from the Regiment by military superiors who thought it not proper to retain a Stranger in the ranks. Prematurely removed from the life he loved, feeling betrayed by his commanders, MacDonald embarked on a long binge of drinking and fighting. Finally, MacDonald found a home with the Kerberos Club.

MacDonald retains several military friends and contacts, despite most who view his association with the Club as a black mark on his otherwise sterling reputation. Others in the higher ranks find his association with the Kerberans to be an advantage, giving them “a man on the inside” who can report on the Club’s actions. Naturally, the Kerberans feel much the same way about MacDonald, using him to get information on the military.

MacDonald’s loyalties are rapidly shifting away from the military and towards other Strangers; he has grown weary of combat and wishes to retire in peace amongst those who won’t judge him for his Strangeness.

Last edited by SavageGamerGirl on Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:46 am; edited 4 times in total
Zadmar
Legendary

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love the character concept, one of my NE players had something a little similar (although with more of a demonic flavour).

One thing you may want to consider is giving him the Undead power, with appropriate trappings; he's not literally undead, but his superior regenerative abilities give him the same benefits (+2 Toughness, ignore 2 points of wound penalty, can't bleed out, and even "permanent" injuries - like the severed limbs from your description - can regenerate). The -2 Charisma could be explained by a Wolverine-like attitude and a reputation for drinking and brawling.
SavageGamerGirl
Heroic

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's not a bad idea! I could take the Regeneration down to 10, giving me 5 points back. Of those, 4 could go to the Undead ability, re-trapped as you suggested, and give me a point to put somewhere else. Perhaps back to Super Attribute to boost is Vigor one more level.

Thanks!
Zadmar
Legendary

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally (if I were playing the character) I would much rather keep the 15 points in Regeneration - a healing roll every round is cool, but a healing roll every minute means you don't usually recover until after the fight, which doesn't seem so great for such a huge investment of PP.

You could drop the Toughness (Stout), as Undead already includes the same bonus.

I'd also be tempted to drop Hard to Kill and Harder to Kill, as Undead already ignores 2 of the 3 wound penalties - and because it can't bleed out or suffer permanent injuries, a failure on the Vigor roll when incapacitated isn't a major problem; you'd only die if you rolled 2 or less.

After taking Undead that would leave 3 points. If you put those into Vigor, the character would be extremely difficult to kill (and impossible to one-shot unless it was with a finishing move), although they could still be temporarily disabled.
SavageGamerGirl
Heroic

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even better. Thanks!
SavageGamerGirl
Heroic

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since he's still "just" a man, I want to keep his core stats within the normal d12 maximum. I took your advice, but went in a slightly different direction with the remaining 3 points. I made him Ageless and gave him Improved Sweep. In keeping with the warrior Scotsman cliche, he'll be wielding a claymore as his primary weapon.
SavageGamerGirl
Heroic

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's another pregen, because I wanted to add more options for female players should any sign up.

One of the neat things about the Kerberos Club is that while you *could* use it to run a League of Extraordinary Gentlemen game, their suggestion is to look at it from a different angle. Rather than actually playing a literary character, you can play the person that inspired the author. That frees you from the continuity of that character's story, while still providing a guideline on who your character is and what he can do. There are a few characters like that in KC already: Lucas Moreland is the inspiration for Sherlock Holmes, for example.

Here is Miss Eugenia Blythe, born with unusual magical powers, dedicated to a life of defending children, who later became the inspiration for Mary Poppins.

MISS BLYTHE
Agility d6
Smarts d12
Spirit d12
Strength d4
Vigor d6

Pace 6
Parry 4
Toughness 5
Charisma +0

SKILLS
Fighting d4
Intimidate d4
Investigation d6
Knowledge (Arcana) d8
Notice d6
Persuasion d6
Spellcasting d12+1

HINDERANCES
Cautious
Heroic
Pacifist (Major)
Vow (Minor — Protect Children)

EDGES
Common Bond
Luck
Power Points x3
Super Powers

POWERS
Super Attributes (Ingenious); +2 Smarts, +1 Spirit; 3 pts.
Super Skills (Well-Versed); +2 Spellcasting; 1 pt.
Super Sorcery (Magical Gift); Level 7, SPC pg. 54; 21 pts.

In earlier, less-enlightened ages, Miss Eugenia Blythe would have been called a witch. She was born with an uncanny gift for magic, capable of astounding feats at even a young age. Her parents urged her to conceal her abilities, however, and brought her up in a strict and proper Middle-Class household. As the century grew progressively Strange, Miss Blythe realized that had the fortune of being only one of hundreds of unusual people in London. Her magical abilities, astounding by any measure, drew her surprisingly little attention in a world where people could fly, emit bursts of fire or light, and lift prodigious weights with no effort.

In her adulthood, Miss Blythe devoted herself to the defense of the downtrodden children of London. She donates time and effort to a variety of charities, volunteers at orphanages, and works tirelessly to keep children out of the cruel workhouses in the city. She was offered a chance to join the Kerberos Club and initially refused, fearing that association with the Club would damage her reputation. She changed her mind after meeting Maeve O’Connel, however. Although hardly a ‘child’ any longer, Maeve reminded Miss Blythe of her own childhood, bringing to her the realization that the Strange was no respecter of age. There were Strange children out there for whom she could be a role model and teacher, if only her abilities were made known. Miss Blythe revealed her powers, quietly accepted the invitation to the Kerberos Club, and is now better able to help Strange and non-Strange children alike.
ValhallaGH
Legendary

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holy Crap! Savage Mary Poppins! And she can actually do the Mary Poppins things! Mr. Green
SavageGamerGirl
Heroic

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was sorely tempted to give her a flight device -- an umbrella.

But, she can just user her Super Sorcery to get the Flight power, so it's still in there, technically. Mr. Green
Sitting Duck
Legendary

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SavageGamerGirl wrote:
Lucas Moreland is the inspiration for Sherlock Holmes, for example.

You sure? I've always been given to understand that it was Joseph Bell (and Wikipedia agrees with me). Wikipedia has nothing on any Lucas Moreland. And the only Lucas Moreland a Google search turned up was a tax preparer. Maybe he makes brilliant deductions. Razz
VonDan
Legendary

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SavageGamerGirl wrote:
Here's another pregen, because I wanted to add more options for female players should any sign up.

Some thing i rolled up 2 versions of savage worlds ago for my movie and game setting "The Queen's Rogues" which idea Allan More stole and ruined by putting men on the team

Some day I'll Roll Up Shecroft Holmes, Phyllis Fogg and Allison Quartermain

Von "The script writing teacher in college called me a Master of Chicksplotation" Dan
SavageGamerGirl
Heroic

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sitting Duck wrote:
SavageGamerGirl wrote:
Lucas Moreland is the inspiration for Sherlock Holmes, for example.

You sure? I've always been given to understand that it was Joseph Bell (and Wikipedia agrees with me). Wikipedia has nothing on any Lucas Moreland.

In our history, you're correct. Smile

As for the Kerberos Club alternate history, it was Lucas Moreland. He has a magic item that lets him read minds, which he passes off as ingenious deductive reasoning. Sorry for the confusion.

Quote:
And the only Lucas Moreland a Google search turned up was a tax preparer. Maybe he makes brilliant deductions. Razz

Nice one! Laughing
SavageGamerGirl
Heroic

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As for Miss Blythe, I was at first considering giving her Scavenger instead of Common Bond, with the trapping being that she can just sort of conjure up any item she might need at a given moment. (Like, I don't know, pulling an entire coat rack from a small carpet bag. Mr. Green )
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW Licensees All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: