Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

HOE Mini Mega-Release Kickstarter is live!
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> Deadlands: Hell on Earth & Lost Colony
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Clint
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 5:26 pm    Post subject: HOE Mini Mega-Release Kickstarter is live! Reply with quote

Studio 2 is Kickstarting a Mega-release of HOE miniatures! Every miniature unlocked (or as we like to say "rescued") will be released at the same time Hell On Earth Reloaded hits shelves!

Check out the website and I really hope you like the video!

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1176616619/hell-on-earth-miniature-mega-release

www.peginc.com
ValhallaGH
Legendary

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My favorite part? "Violators will not be rescued when the worms come." Laughing #gunbattle
Jordan Peacock
Legendary

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, I can't pass up on that. HoE was my introduction to Deadlands. I have a lot of fond memories. Smile Now that it has been "reloaded," I guess I'll have to give it another try (with some appropriate minis, of course).
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in, and will likely hit up the extras as they become available.

However, on the Reaper boards, they pointed out that the main page is kind of sparse on information that's important to folks who aren't already invested in the setting. Things like which sculptors are going to be hired, to what extent Reaper is involved, and so forth.
mac40k
Seasoned

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In and hoping to see a lot of the a la carte items unlocked.
robert4818
Heroic

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My request is that you release more "Generics" than "iconics".

I get that Stone and Hellstrome are important parts of HOE, but really, how often am I going to use my Stone Model on the tabletop? If its anything like classic Deadlands, the answer is "rarely, if ever".

Instead, what gets me buying miniatures is their usefulness. To that end, I'm looking for PC models, Generic Badguys, Monsters.

So, what's most useful to me are things that I can bring to the table, usable in HOE, time and time again.

I'll only buy 1 Stone. I'm liable to buy 5 copies of a "generic".
Clint
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

robert4818 wrote:

I get that Stone and Hellstrome are important parts of HOE, but really, how often am I going to use my Stone Model on the tabletop? If its anything like classic Deadlands, the answer is "rarely, if ever".

Instead, what gets me buying miniatures is their usefulness. To that end, I'm looking for PC models, Generic Badguys, Monsters.

So, what's most useful to me are things that I can bring to the table, usable in HOE, time and time again.

I think you are going to be very happy with this Kickstarter. Wink

www.peginc.com
robert4818
Heroic

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clint wrote:
robert4818 wrote:

I think you are going to be very happy with this Kickstarter. Wink

Glad to hear it.

Smile Now if we can get more generics for DLR I'll be happy there as well.
Jordan Peacock
Legendary

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

robert4818 wrote:

If I could +1 or Like this, I would. Smile This also applies to the recent Bones Kickstarter from Reaper -- there was a big focus on unique "Wild Card" type characters vs. more on a wide selection of monsters & antagonists. (Or, let me hedge, it seemed that way at times.)

In defense of including Stone -- hey, at least he'd work great for a "generic" Harrowed Wild Card. As a bonus, he brings a little bit of the "West" into "Wasted West," which is what I think distinguishes HoE figures from "generic post-apocalyptic." The mecha-Hellstromme, I'm not so sure about; he looks very cartoony, and I'm not sure how that's going to translate to metal.
Heroic

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jordan Peacock wrote:
robert4818 wrote:

If I could +1 or Like this, I would. Smile This also applies to the recent Bones Kickstarter from Reaper -- there was a big focus on unique "Wild Card" type characters vs. more on a wide selection of monsters & antagonists. (Or, let me hedge, it seemed that way at times.)

In defense of including Stone -- hey, at least he'd work great for a "generic" Harrowed Wild Card. As a bonus, he brings a little bit of the "West" into "Wasted West," which is what I think distinguishes HoE figures from "generic post-apocalyptic." The mecha-Hellstromme, I'm not so sure about; he looks very cartoony, and I'm not sure how that's going to translate to metal.

In the bones, there are definitely some stuff that caught my "generic" attention.
-Pirates
-Nova Squad (Make great generic "storm troopers")
-Kobolds
-Goblins
-Insects
-Undead
-Orkapokalypse (Though this was an add on).

But you are right, there were way more "iconics" than "Generics".
Jordan Peacock
Legendary

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

robert4818 wrote:
In the bones, there are definitely some stuff that caught my "generic" attention.
-Pirates

Actually, the Pirates failed in that regard. At first, I saw we got some pirates. (Yay!) Then I saw what was in the set of 5:

* 2 female pirates. (Yes, I *could* have an encounter with an all-female crew, or with several female pirates ... but that doesn't strike me as a sensible "typical" pirate encounter.)

* 1 Dwarf pirate. (Again, not my typical pirate, unless I plan on featuring crews of Dwarf pirates in my campaign.)

* 1 Pirate captain. (Too many captains spoil the ship.)

* 1 normal pirate ... with a TREASURE CHEST on his shoulder. (Fighting with a bit of a handicap there.)

So, that last pirate is the best contender for "typical pirate crew" except for that treasure chest on his shoulder. Buy 10 of those guys as pirate crew, and they've all got chests on their shoulders, and it's going to look pretty silly.

Having a "generic pirate" for encounters was on my wish list. None of the actual figures presented in the Kickstarter fit the bill for that, in my opinion.

I'll still probably buy "pirate-with-chest-on-shoulder" anyway, but I'll have to try converting the model several times over to remove that box. Just to clarify, I LOVE every single one of those pirate minis, and a great number of those "non-Extra" minis. I want them all! It's just that there were a few minis that were "near-misses" in terms of something that I could have seen myself getting multiples for, to populate encounters against Extras.

Last edited by Jordan Peacock on Wed Oct 17, 2012 3:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
Jordan Peacock
Legendary

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

By the way -- I was a little slow to realize this, but I think the name "Deadlands" doesn't appear anywhere on the Kickstarter page. (I did a search for "Deadlands" on the Kickstarter main page to find myself back to the HoE page, but that didn't cut it. I also tried to "find" Deadlands on the HoE main page, just out of curiosity, and didn't get any hits.)

Is there a deliberate effort to avoid any reference to Deadlands on this Kickstarter?
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jordan Peacock wrote:
By the way -- I was a little slow to realize this, but I think the name "Deadlands" doesn't appear anywhere on the Kickstarter page. (I did a search for "Deadlands" on the Kickstarter main page to find myself back to the HoE page, but that didn't cut it. I also tried to "find" Deadlands on the HoE main page, just out of curiosity, and didn't get any hits.)

Is there a deliberate effort to avoid any reference to Deadlands on this Kickstarter?

Nope. As I understand, there's a limit on the short description and Deadlands was going to go there, but it got cut for space. It's been added to the main information section now though. Thanks!

www.peginc.com
ValhallaGH
Legendary

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jordan Peacock wrote:
* 1 normal pirate ... with a TREASURE CHEST on his shoulder. (Fighting with a bit of a handicap there.)

Jordan, you're overlooking a major opportunity here.
Make the chest into a weapon. Twisted Evil
Maybe he keeps flasks of alchemists fire / grenades in there. Maybe the severed heads of his enemies (that's a hell of an Intimidation bonus). Maybe the chest pulls his foes in and crushes them; into diamonds. Maybe it's a funny-looking weight on a chain and he uses it as a reach attack. Maybe it's the box holding his soul and he's Invincible! (fast regeneration) as long as he's within 1" of the chest.
The point is to incorporate it into the game. Because I'm lazy, and it's easier to add special rules than to change a miniature. Laughing
robert4818
Heroic

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ValhallaGH wrote:
Jordan Peacock wrote:

Jordan, you're overlooking a major opportunity here.
Make the chest into a weapon. Twisted Evil
Maybe he keeps flasks of alchemists fire / grenades in there. Maybe the severed heads of his enemies (that's a hell of an Intimidation bonus). Maybe the chest pulls his foes in and crushes them; into diamonds. Maybe it's a funny-looking weight on a chain and he uses it as a reach attack. Maybe it's the box holding his soul and he's Invincible! (fast regeneration) as long as he's within 1" of the chest.
The point is to incorporate it into the game. Because I'm lazy, and it's easier to add special rules than to change a miniature. Laughing

His point is that its not a good "Generic" pirate. You wouldn't want 5 of this guy on the table top to represent "Pirate Crew"
Jordan Peacock
Legendary

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, I love "Waster #1" that just got unlocked. I can imagine that the "teddy bear" could actually be a disguised improvised explosive device. (I am reminded of a disagreeable tactic one of my own players used in HoE where, whenever it came time to throw a grenade in a room full of Black Hats, etc., said explosive would usually be wrapped up in something random, such as a scavenged pair of pants, so it didn't immediately register as "GRENADE!" -- in the hopes of delaying reaction time.)

As for Waster #2, I note a very strong similarity to #50065 "Rex, Dark Future Hero" from the Reaper Chronoscope line.

This same mini was also in the new Reaper Bones Kickstarter as part of the core Chronoscope figure set, so it has quite a bit of exposure. At the very least, I would recommend a different pose.

Also, I'm really hoping sculptors will be indicated. At $6-$10 a pop, knowing the sculptor name might make me a little more willing to commit to add-ons.
Seasoned

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will be curious to see what other "hand swaps" we shall see down the pipe. Good catch on Rex and Waster 2.

I was watching Rescuee #3
(Can't link to)

See how similar the profile looks to Rosie Chronotechnician

Just a different wrench.

My main question is are these going metal or Bones-Plastic?

@$6/miniature I am thinking metal, but with each stretch goal being $5K they could make Bones molds and sell them for less.
Clint
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

greyseerco wrote:
My main question is are these going metal or Bones-Plastic?

@$6/miniature I am thinking metal, but with each stretch goal being $5K they could make Bones molds and sell them for less.

They are metal. And sorry, but $5K is a fraction of what it would cost to make them as Bones and sell them for less. Reaper can pull it off for less as they are the direct manufacturer, using minis that have already been sculpted, and only doing minis that sell in huge quantities. None of that applies to us.

www.peginc.com
Jordan Peacock
Legendary

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

greyseerco wrote:
I will be curious to see what other "hand swaps" we shall see down the pipe. Good catch on Rex and Waster 2.

I was watching Rescuee #3
(Can't link to)

To link the image, go to the Kickstarter and copy the image URL (an option I have when I right-click the image in Google Chrome), but take off the "?######" tag that gets stuck on the end, breaking off the file name at ".png" when you paste it into the image tag here.

I can't really tell much from the silhouette, but ... yeah, I can see some similarities, especially since I'm a bit sensitive to it after noticing the Rex lookalike.

Are these figures going to be modifications of existing Reaper Chronoscope models with slight swaps to equipment and/or pose?

Clint
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jordan Peacock wrote:
Are these figures going to be modifications of existing Reaper Chronoscope models with slight swaps to equipment and/or pose?

No, absolutely not. Honestly, "Rex" is clearly based on a classic post-apocalyptic hero, and our Waster is inspired by the same guy, only with a pistol and machete. A quick search on the web would likely find the pose they are both based on.

And female tech with goggles and a giant wrench...

http://www.internationalhero.co.uk/h/heterody.htm

Yeah, our designer kind of won Hugos for that, so really another classic archetype.

As far as the last, the "action pose" may be similar, but theirs has guns and you know, hair. Wink

www.peginc.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> Deadlands: Hell on Earth & Lost Colony All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: