Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

[NE] GM question on plot element reveal (Spoilers)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW Official Settings & Companions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kertain
Novice

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 2:12 pm    Post subject: [NE] GM question on plot element reveal (Spoilers) Reply with quote

Afternoon folks,
I have a plot element question, so don't read unless you have done the entire campaign..ect

Quote:
How did you introduce the concept of the Protean/Super relationship. The plot points themselves hint but do not have a "reveal". Just wondering how you handled it with your group, how it came up..ect
It so tightly linked to the Outsider, I think a big reveal would be cool..

Thanks!
Clint
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Typically...

Quote:
Episode 5 with Willy, especially when he says, “Do not let my sacrifice be in vain, for it is my blood that pulses through your veins!”

Usually, easy to add a few more clues/reveals before they all escape.

www.peginc.com
Kertain
Novice

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yah I figured as much but:

A) They might miss it... LOL my group is bad about that Smile

B) Once they see somethings up, I wanted a dramatic way for them to find out..ect

Was reading a couple NE session logs and got some ideas but I know there has to be some more good ideas floating around
Clint
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since it's so integral to the players themselves, I think it works best when it's tied to their backgrounds and history. But that's going to be different for every game, so unfortunately not much specific help. Sorry.

www.peginc.com
Thunderforge
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, in my campaign they refused to let Willy sacrifice himself (how heroic of them!) and once they were safe, they demanded he tell them what he meant.

Aside from that, you could throw it into some of the Savage Tales that involve science characters, like Midnight in the Garden of Doctor Devolution. Basically, his research gives revelations about this, maybe even with specific research about one or more of the player characters (which they of course were completely unaware had taken place).

The Elder Scrolls conversion and other fun creations.
catalac
Seasoned

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well for me (im in fact doing this tomorrow) it would be in the legacy of colonel clone. my guys are going to check out this "young" geneticist after mind controlling into being their personal b!+%# the famous gangster we meet in The Safe.
in my version the clones actually do know the components to the clone gel but they are so rare that it might as well have the same result (the funny bit being that mr clone had a secret catch of the stuff but none of his clones seem to remember where it is Twisted Evil ) it turns out that mr clone discovered the proteans and used their genes to to unlock the genetic code to copy any part of a supers genes including their memory, powers, and of course looks.
Kertain
Novice

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting thanks folks

One of my players specifically made a back story like so(I am greatly paraphrasing here..his back story is like 3 pages long):
Alexander the Great tore apart the world to find the secret to a mystical shard which has some powers. After his travels and conquests he discovered the shard and had some Buddhism monks attach it to his spine. The shard gave him long life, and some powers. He also discovered several other fragments and gave them to those of his family who is worthy to be past down..ect

Eventually it gets to the PC many years later, Alexander has passed away and he was chosen to take the Shard. By this time they perfected the implants and replaced a part of his spine with it. The shard took, but didn't really manifest any powers other then very long life which is typical (the effects aren't the same..sometimes they are powers, sometimes speed..ect)

He is outcast and some deemed him unworthy but the V'Sori invasion triggers him to start training. He found he was really fast, quick and able to train himself much faster and better then a normal human (shard in play) He also found a mystical powered sword that Alexander made with the dust from a shard. Its essentially his super powered weapon. He is basically super high parry, high fighting and has an awesome sword.

So this is great! But it really doesn't fit into the time frame when the protean land. When I do the reveal he is going to ask..well then how do I have powers?

I was thinking that the shards might have be crashed Protean tech. This tech was a very old experiment to try to enable other raced to "ascend". The crash ruined the experiment but the shards is a living metal with whatever essence that makes the Protean Supers. Almost a life form tied to the metal of the shard.

I want a cool way to go about linking the two stories..but without seeming too hacked together.

My plan was to have a quest to unlock this story rather then him just being told. Perhaps this experiment is so old most Protean don't know about it..ect

Thoughts?
Zadmar
Legendary

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kertain wrote:
So this is great! But it really doesn't fit into the time frame when the protean land. When I do the reveal he is going to ask..well then how do I have powers?

A "mystical shard"? Sounds like an Atlantean artefact to me, and the Atlanteans arrived "thousands of years ago", so that would fit the time frame.

One of the players in my group gained his powers from an infernal pact, another by accidently transforming himself into a swarm of nanobots during a scientific experiment, a third from Aztec spirits that had served his bloodline for countless generations, etc.

If none of the players are descended from the Proteans, you may need to tweak the story a bit.
catalac
Seasoned

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yep i agree here Atlantians had super powers long before the Greeks made their legends. so just say that it was the Atlantians it ought to work.

oh yeah and don't forget the shards negate liver failure should that ever come up in your game Cool
Kertain
Novice

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL Good points..I really hadn't considered Atlantean origin, nice!

Well the other players I have are: an Inventor and a normal super.
So I have at least one that is Protean descendant .

I was also thinking about hinting the Inventor character might have Protean genes..hence the super smart thing, but that one was gonna play by ear more. Wanted to see how he reacted to the whole Protean concept. If he dug it in general perhaps he would stumble across some gene pairings..ect

Thanks folks.
Thunderforge
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If fitting in Protean stuff is too hard with your setup, you could just drop them entirely and have The Outsider be a Dr. Manhattan style super who's just watching planet Earth for his own amusement (thus fitting with the ending where he puts Earth's greatest heroes against the V'Sori's greatest heroes). Or he's connected with the Atlanteans, rather than the Proteans.

The Elder Scrolls conversion and other fun creations.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW Official Settings & Companions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: