Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Homebrew setting

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW Home-brew Settings & Conversions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
edgwick
Novice

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:20 am    Post subject: Homebrew setting Reply with quote

I am looking to create my own home-brew setting based on some fantasy novels I have read. What kind of resources are there for someone wanting to build the setting in SW from the ground floor. I have the core SW book and it gives me a lot to work from but I am wondering if there are any other resources out there that are fantasy (sword and sorcery) based.
ValhallaGH
Legendary

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends upon what you're looking for (fantasy is a big genre).
The Fantasy Companion could be useful, but is more focused on playing a setting than in building a setting.
Beasts & Barbarians, as well as Legends of Steel, both have some great rules for a Howard-like Sword & Sorcery game.

Generally, for setting creation, I focus on the Core Rules. Regions, cultures, and lore are all setting fluff. Game mechanics are new Races, Hindrances, Edges, Gear, Spells (if magic is appropriate), and alterations to the Arcane Background edges.
Magic is the part that really throws people when making their first Savage Setting. The key is to decide what magic can and cannot do in the setting, and how quickly it can do it. From there, you can customize the mechanics to reflect that setting-reality. Just don't confuse the purely-trappings parts (pulling arcane reagents from a belt of small pouches; studying a book to 'memorize spells'; creating cones of fire) with the base mechanics of magic.

Good luck, I hope some of this was helpful, and feel free to ask if you have more questions.

Oh, and welcome to the forums. Smile
Kythkyn
Seasoned

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A little more information would go a long way. What novels? What exactly do you want to capture? And what do you mean from the ground up? Just the fluff?
edgwick
Novice

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A bit more inform has been requested. So here goes. I am wanting to build a campaign around Mel Odom's Rover series. The world is quite interesting if you have not read the books yet I highly recommend them.

The style is very Tolkienesque with an interesting twist of post cataclysmic illiteracy. What I am looking to do is to create the world (fluff) not some much the crunch. All though I am sure there will be need to create some specific Edges/Hindrances and the such. Magic will me limited and I think I can work with the core rules there without much adjustment.

I am also willing to take an existing setting and change it to fit the world I am building. What are some good published Tolkienesque settings in SW?
ValhallaGH
Legendary

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A Tolkeinesque setting is so mechanically straightforward (and so thoroughly explored in other RPGs) that I can't think of any published savage settings that could be described by that word.

Other than making Literacy an edge, instead of letting Illiteracy be a hindrance, I can't think of anything that needs to be changed. Elves might need some tweaking from their Core Rules suggestions, but the rest seems to fit what I've found about the series.

Good luck!
xxlgeeklord
Seasoned

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want examples of Homebrew settings other people have made you can have a look at Savage Heroes. There is quite a lot of material there and I have seen some very good settings there, allthough nothing in fact directly related to the Discworld (you said Tolkienesque).

If you simply search google you can find a lot of stuff too, and I reccommend taking the Fantasy Companion as well. Good luck!
Lord Karick
Seasoned

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might also want to check out Hellfrost, a very nordic-feel SW setting, but oozing with ideas to steal/adapt. You'd only need the players' book (and perhaps bestiary).
kronovan
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

More often than not, Ive found 3rd party fantasy setting books more useful resources than the Fantasy Companion for homebrewing. I borrow quite often between Beasts & Barbarians, Legends of Steel, Iron Dynasty and Hellfrost. That said, if youre looking for an expanded Fantasy Bestiary, rules for running medieval-like stronghold sieges or a good system for generating treasure and magical items, the FC is IMO worth the price.

If youre hoping to insert some horror elements into your setting, Id recommed considering the Horror Companion as well. Not only does it have some very nice systems that can be employed in many fantasy settings, but it also has an excellent Game Mastering section with content that could be helpful for a number of different setting genres.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW Home-brew Settings & Conversions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: