Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Price of magic tools

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW General Chat & Game Stories
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lord Stone
Seasoned

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 4:30 pm    Post subject: Price of magic tools Reply with quote

So, with the help of the Fantasy Gear Toolkit I know that the guideline for potions and other single-use items is pretty much 50 per PP. So I consider that a good guideline for the use of a Power with no skill roll or PP investment required.

However, I wish to add two kinds of magic tools to my world and I am thinking of what the price for them would be.

The first are wands, different from the ones in the Fantasy Gear Companion. These wands allow a character to cast a spell as if he knew it himself. In other words, he has to spend the PP and make the skill check as if he were casting a normal spell. The only benefit granted to him is the ability to use a spell out of his repertoire for a limited number of times.

At the moment I am thinking 20 per spell rank for each charge.

The second are staves, again different from the Fantasy Gear Companion. These work like the wands described above aside from the fact that they also provide the PP, but they always cast the Power in exactly the same configuration. They too have a limited number of charges.

I think these should be 40 per PP per charge, slightly lower than potions because they are still limited to those characters who can use the skill.

Input/remarks appreciated.
robert4818
Heroic

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 5:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Price of magic tools Reply with quote

Lord Stone wrote:
So, with the help of the Fantasy Gear Toolkit I know that the guideline for potions and other single-use items is pretty much 50 per PP. So I consider that a good guideline for the use of a Power with no skill roll or PP investment required.

However, I wish to add two kinds of magic tools to my world and I am thinking of what the price for them would be.

The first are wands, different from the ones in the Fantasy Gear Companion. These wands allow a character to cast a spell as if he knew it himself. In other words, he has to spend the PP and make the skill check as if he were casting a normal spell. The only benefit granted to him is the ability to use a spell out of his repertoire for a limited number of times.

The second are staves, again different from the Fantasy Gear Companion. These work like the wands described above aside from the fact that they also provide the PP, but they always cast the Power in exactly the same configuration. They too have a limited number of charges.

I think these should be 40 per PP per charge, slightly lower than potions because they are still limited to those characters who can use the skill.

Input/remarks appreciated.

There are two approaches to this path.

The first is that both give you, in effect, a free edge (New Power), albeit temporarily. The base price of items giving an edge is $2000 or greater. You might want to discount that if you think the # of charges is a drawback.

The second is that they are also working similar to potions (especially the staff), and might price it according to the number of uses it has. If the staff is rechargable, then price it even more expensively
Zadmar
Legendary

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lord Stone wrote:
These wands allow a character to cast a spell as if he knew it himself. In other words, he has to spend the PP and make the skill check as if he were casting a normal spell. The only benefit granted to him is the ability to use a spell out of his repertoire for a limited number of times.

According to the FC the price for an Edge is normally $2000 for Novice, $4000 for Seasoned, $6000 for Veteran and $10000 for Heroic.

So if the players used 100 charges during the course of your campaign, it'd have the same cost as an item with a permanent Edge (unless the power was Heroic rank).

However as you pointed out, the price of potions is around $50 per PP. The Power Points Edge gives 5 PP, so the total cost is effectively $250 per one-shot Edge. Thus in Edge terms, potions are 12.5 times as expensive as your wands.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW General Chat & Game Stories All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: