Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New GM

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW Official Settings & Companions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Renzoman
Novice

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 6:17 am    Post subject: New GM Reply with quote

Well, I say new. What I mean is that this is the second time I will have attempted to run SW with the SPC rules, with the first ending... Not so well. Most of the player's were sporadic in their attendance and the game caved, so I never got into the game for long enough to gauge how well I was doing.

In short, I'm aiming for a pre-Phoenix Saga X Men feel for the game - most threats are actually fairly personal and close to home, some of them even more concerned with racial hatred or the impact of an X Man taking a cure for the mutant gene, etc. I will progress onward to having the players have a nemesis, but I'd like to begin with them doing... Well, heroic things. Helping with emergencies, stopping bank robberies by super criminals, that sort of deal. I figure if I start from the ground up and quiz the players on what they think would be a good direction to go in, I can work out how soon I should have them out of training and acting as a fully-fledged team.

I lurked for quite some time here and got a lot of good pointers, but now I need to ask directly - what kind of advice would you have for a game along these lines? If more detail is required, I'm willing to give it, but honestly the campaign' structure is pretty fluid right now.
kronovan
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 3:24 pm    Post subject: Re: New GM Reply with quote

Renzoman wrote:
I lurked for quite some time here and got a lot of good pointers, but now I need to ask directly - what kind of advice would you have for a game along these lines? If more detail is required, I'm willing to give it, but honestly the campaign' structure is pretty fluid right now.

First off, welcome to the forums Renzoman.

I think your campaign idea is good, but as GM I'd probably be less open to allowing players -especially ones relatively new to SW- to have a lot of direction in it. I'd instead focus more on writing up a series of good 1-page adventures or a few multi-act adventures . I'd also recommend borrowing a mission/adventure generator from your other favorite SW setting and modifying it to suit your setting. When I ran my supers campaign I borrowed and customized the Thrilling Tales adventure generator with very good results. I also recommend paying close attention to what your group enjoys in adventures. If they like fighting action, go with lots of battles and chases. However, if they become bored with that, I'd recommend mixing it up with mission centered around investigation, infiltration, social interaction, etc.

You say "personal and close to home" in your description, so something I'd recommend is deciding whether you want to set your campaign in a real-world city or a fictitious one. IMO real-world locations work well in a Supers campaign, but fictitious is good too. I'd also recommend having them start with a HQ in that setting since it sounds like you want a central location. As well, if you want to have heroes engaged in missions for the public good, you might want to consider going with the street hero options for power levels. Otherwise your heroes will be dropping bank robbers and other such criminals like flies.
VonDan
Legendary

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have the players write a Bio that includes friends and family and there history up to that point. Mine the bios for ways to blend the players background into the campaign
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW Official Settings & Companions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: