Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Space Battles!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW General Chat & Game Stories
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Metarusuta
Novice

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 10:46 am    Post subject: Space Battles! Reply with quote

How would you handle these? Specifically ones involving REALLY BIG ships such as the Star Destroyers of Star Wars as well has many other fighter sized ships?
farik
Seasoned

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My answer would be. "It depends."

If dog fighting is a big element I'd bust out the vehicle rules and run some numbers to modify scale.

If I want fights to be quick and abstract I'd modify the chase rules.

If I want the fights to be epic in scale I'd use the mass combat rules.

Most likely I'd use a combination of all three depending on the adventure.
warrenss2
Heroic

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I asked the same thing HERE just about a week ago. Although I didn't come flat out and say it I was thinking in Star Wars type ship combat. It might help you out.
Maine
Seasoned

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like farik said, but if the players aren't able to influence the outcome, I would just decide on the outcome (or roll a die if I was fine randomizing the outcome).

I think Mass Combat works best for most situations, as each player can come up with a way to contribute based on where they are and what they can do.

Basically, don't deviate too far away from storytelling and keeping mechanics FFF.
ogbendog
Legendary

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It depends on the roll of the PCs. Do they each command one big ship each? are they the command crew of one ship in the fleet? Or they fighter pilots?
ValhallaGH
Legendary

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I gave the same basic advice in the following two threads, referencing my own Star Wars campaign(s). I used chases, vehicles, and mass battles at various times, but the most fun and player inclusiveness came from the mass battle.
http://www.peginc.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=36267#353009
http://www.peginc.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=38253#368914

Good luck!
Sean-Khan
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm currently writing a short document for my upcoming Star Wars game; I'm using John Brown's version for basics, but I want space combats to be fast. I'm planning to use mass combat for all capital ship battles, except perhaps when a capital ship is encountered by smaller craft. Even then these ships have only few statistics - speed to tell how well they stay in the chase, their firepower and toughness should players get heroic with their proton torpedoes.

But I haven't started this game yet as I'm too busy at the moment, I'll tell about my experiences later!

Shaper & Maker - modelling, gaming & a lot of other stuff
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW General Chat & Game Stories All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: