Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Android tablet apps

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW Miniatures, Terrain, and other Game Aides
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cbooth
Novice

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 8:13 pm    Post subject: Android tablet apps Reply with quote

I'm looking for some GM apps for my tablet; dice roller, PC/NPC tracker, note compiler, etc. I've tried out a few, but nothing has quite caught my eye. I'd prefer free apps, but would pay for a really good app or two.
Suggestions?
Jux
Seasoned

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found this:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.roseburner.swctbeta&hl=en

And there is a kickstarter also that could interest you:
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/serfpro/savage-outfitter-savage-worlds-has-gone-digital

I myself am not a fan of gadgets at the gaming table. If it is needed, then it is still hard to beat a laptop.

I wish there was a Android client for Obsidian Portal though.
Kristian Serrano
Heroic

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:25 am    Post subject: Re: Android tablet apps Reply with quote

cbooth wrote:
I'm looking for some GM apps for my tablet; dice roller, PC/NPC tracker, note compiler, etc. I've tried out a few, but nothing has quite caught my eye. I'd prefer free apps, but would pay for a really good app or two.
Suggestions?
Quick Dice and Dice Bag are two nice, easy-to-use dice roller apps. They support comparisons (Trait vs. Wild Die) and exploding dice.
Raise Calculator
cbooth
Novice

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I downloaded SWCT and it's pretty nice. It's still in beta, hopefully there will be some kind of update soon. Savage Outfitter looks to be released in November, unless I read the Kickstarter wrong. Dicetray seems like another nice app, although the free version doesn't allow any kind of save.
Anything else to suggest for GMing? Thanks for the ideas so far!
Wirelizard
Novice

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got DiceTray on my Android phone; I don't use it in play but I do use it when I'm at home and the bagful of real dice are out of arms reach - I was using some d20 & d100 random generation tables last night for some background stuff and it comes in handy when the phone is closer than the real dice.

DiceTray can do exploding dice automatically and some other tricks useful for SW; it would be nice if it had some sort of manual, though, and while it would probably work beautifully on a tablet some of the buttons are a bit tiny on a phone's screen.
cbooth
Novice

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I'll stick with SWCT for dice rolls and, well, combat. Razz
Nice feature included that can tag Shaken characters, penalties, and bonuses. I hope the developer continues to improve upon it, it's a nice little app.
Anything else worth mentioning for GM tools, besides dice apps?
Kristian Serrano
Heroic

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cbooth wrote:
Evernote! I especially love that I can link between notes. So if one note mentions an NPC or monster, I can put in a link to the note that has its stat block.
Raise Calculator
Other Mike
Seasoned

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My wife got me an Android Tablet for Christmas. Chuckle, between it and her iPad, I still consider tablets to be entertainment toys at best (i.e., games, music, movies, readers, simple web tools), and not overly useful for anything else. Anyway, gaming tools were one of the first things I started looking into and playing with ... granted, it's been all of two days now. Wink

I'll have to check out a few mentioned above, but SWCT is one of the apps I did try. I've already deleted it. I don't mean to be a wet blanket, but the tool simply didn't offer me anything I needed ... except maybe dice rolling, if I didn't have my dice. But some of the other apps look better for that.

I already have ways of tracking what is going on in combat, faster than what this tool offers. I print out mini-character sheets for the extras and bad guys, about the size of a baseball card (placing them in plastic baseball card holders for gaming). They are spread out on the table in front of me. SWCT would make me take time to flip between them to find the right one. As a whole, for me, this tool would slow combat down! Sad

Honestly, I've always been a fan of the concept of electronics at the gaming table ... I've just never found much of anything that worked well ... except for the seven segment, two digit round counter I made back when the Hero System was my gaming system of choice.

At a Con about a year ago, I saw a GM using a tablet with a PDF of the Deadlands Reloaded PDF on it. I use PDF's a lot in general, so maybe I might be faster than he was ... but I could look up what I was looking for in the book faster than he could on the tablet. I do like the idea of one tablet vs. multiple books, so I'm going to give that a one try.

On a totally different tangent, one thing that was kind of cool at a different Con I went to, most of the rooms had a projector mounted to the ceiling that were available for use. I didn't know about them ahead of time, but I saw some GM's putting them to good use with their laptops. Maps, diagrams, pictures, and the like. These can easily be done as a hand out, but a big map projected on the wall was pretty neat.
Cryonic
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amaril wrote:
cbooth wrote:
Evernote! I especially love that I can link between notes. So if one note mentions an NPC or monster, I can put in a link to the note that has its stat block.

Might also want to check out TiddlyWiki. It handles linking between notes (what it calls Tiddlers) just like Wikipedia.

http://www.daemonstorm.com/article/2012/12/12/creating-gaming-log-tiddlywiki

http://tiddlywiki.com/

Savage Worlds Tales: http://www.daemonstorm.com/category/Categories/Role-playing/Savage-Worlds
GamerDude
Seasoned

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Other Mike wrote:
On a totally different tangent, one thing that was kind of cool at a different Con I went to, most of the rooms had a projector mounted to the ceiling that were available for use. I didn't know about them ahead of time, but I saw some GM's putting them to good use with their laptops. Maps, diagrams, pictures, and the like. These can easily be done as a hand out, but a big map projected on the wall was pretty neat.
I've had an android phone, now in my fourth year, and my second year with an android tablet. Until SWCT most of what I found was either a decent dice roller or something for Pathfinder/D&D - and so useless to me.

For years I've been following the area of "under table map projection". While I've been impressed with what people have come up with everything has been big bulky and quite expensive.

None of the cons I run at have projectors in the rooms (darn them) and can't give up the space for me to bring my own.

One solution I've been working on is inexpensive laptops on a small hardwired local network running a VTT. I look at bringing the laptops to ensure everyone has one although saying to bring your own laptop with the program installed (no bigger than 15") *might* work.

and that's a big *might*

VonDan
Legendary

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh never mind i thought you said Android Eggs

But now I got to add that to a game
jcayer
Seasoned

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

2nd for Evernote. Insanely convenient to have it on my home laptop, work pc, iphone, etc. An idea pops into my head, I type it in and it's on all those machines in a minute....I start working on something and I don't worry about saving it and bringing it with me...it's already there.
tec-goblin
Novice

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree about Evernote. I use OneNote - if you have it on Android, use it. If not, stick with Evernote, it has very similar functionality. And it's awesome. Almost all my campaign notes are classed in a One Note notebook, synchronized, separated in sections and with links to the appropriate pdfs. I use an additional excel workbook mostly for my hand-picked list of magic items (I can filter by slot and level) etc, but in Savage Worlds you don't need that.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> SW Miniatures, Terrain, and other Game Aides All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: