Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Tales PDF a great Idea
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> Hey Pinnacle!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Marc Hameleers
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2003 12:21 am    Post subject: Tales PDF a great Idea Reply with quote

Well, as european i can only be happy about the decision to release the Savage Tales as pdf's.

It saves me money indeed, wich sadly always is an issue, and also means less limit ont he number of them.

So

Half a reason to go yet to another reasons why you are the best Shane, but it's definetly a reason why you are up there Smile

Marc, shameless fanboy
Piotr Korys
Heroic

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2003 5:13 am    Post subject: Re: Tales PDF a great Idea Reply with quote

Marc Hameleers wrote:
Well, as european i can only be happy about the decision to release the Savage Tales as pdf's.

It saves me money indeed, wich sadly always is an issue, and also means less limit ont he number of them.

So

Half a reason to go yet to another reasons why you are the best Shane, but it's definetly a reason why you are up there Smile

Marc, shameless fanboy

Yeah, we all praise Shane...
BTW - Thanks for pdfs....
Doc Otto
Novice

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2003 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just out of curiousity, what do you PDF users do when you need to reference something during the game? Do you use laptops? Do you print out the whole thing? Print out sections?

I've got a few RPGs in PDF format, and I find them all but useless for actual gaming, and only good for reading the background.
jyates
Seasoned

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2003 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am trying to build a collection of pdf's for game use. I do have a notebook that I use for gaming -- it's an old computer that was no longer being used at work it's so old. But I can write adventures and store and read pdf rulebooks on it. I"m also trying to find more cast off notebooks to take to game and use Open RPG or some such (we've no room for minis, but could squeeze in a couple notebooks running OpenRPG for mapping).
"...if you can accept Zombies made from turnips..." -- The Loremaster. TURNIPS???
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
jblittlefield
Legendary

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2003 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love PDFs - but not in this case. If I understand Shane's posting correctly (and I admit that I may not) - the articles that would have composed a complete issue of ST are being released as *individual* PDFs. I assume that these will be priced at $5.00 (so you can check out at RPGNow). I'd rather have a full issue of articles for $25 than pay $5 a pop (unless ST was only going to have 5 articles per issue, in which case my unrest is unwarranted).

What's the deal - specifically?
fred the monkey
Seasoned

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2003 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doc Otto wrote:
Just out of curiousity, what do you PDF users do when you need to reference something during the game? Do you use laptops? Do you print out the whole thing? Print out sections?

I've got a few RPGs in PDF format, and I find them all but useless for actual gaming, and only good for reading the background.

I download stuff to game with all the time. Some of it I print out, so I can read it in bed and on the bus and so on, but some of it just stays on the screen.

Specifically, I almost always buy my gaming stuff from the work computer (faster connection than at home), and read over it while things are slow. If it looks especially good, I print it out. Every so often, I collect all the stuff that I have downloaded and burn it off to a CD and take that home. That is often the end of it, as the wife doesn't like it when I start putting 'too much stuff' on the home computer (she works from home with it, so there is some justification for this argument), but I still will refer back to CDs from time to time. But since I don't have a laptop, or know anyone who does, I don't have the option of refering to them while I am actually gaming. It would be nice, and maybe I'll do it someday, but in the meantime, it's easy for me to print stuff out so that's what I do most.

For the record, this was my pattern even when I worked at a palce where I didn't have regular access to a printer. If I didn't use up my printer toner on gaming material, I would use it on something else. That's why I buy it, to be used! So, I don't consider the 'cost' of printing it to be relevant.
Marc Hameleers
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2003 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm calling myself Marc the monkey ffor now,a s i feel the same as Fred Smile

Marc the temporary monkey
Clint
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2003 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jblittlefield wrote:
I love PDFs - but not in this case. If I understand Shane's posting correctly (and I admit that I may not) - the articles that would have composed a complete issue of ST are being released as *individual* PDFs. I assume that these will be priced at $5.00 (so you can check out at RPGNow). I'd rather have a full issue of articles for $25 than pay $5 a pop (unless ST was only going to have 5 articles per issue, in which case my unrest is unwarranted).

Well, think about it. The minimum length for a Savage Tale is 16 pages, and you'll be paying the same for anything up to 32 pages. That's an average of 24 pages.

Now, a 144 page book is costing $30. If a single Savage Tale cost $5, you should get about 6 per book. Divide 6 into 144, and you get... 24 pages! Very Happy

Personally, I think this is a great idea. I can pick and choose exactly which Savage Tales appeal to me, and those are the only ones I pay for. I don't know how many "compilation" books I bought that I felt I paid too much for what I would actually use.

www.peginc.com
jblittlefield
Legendary

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2003 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clint wrote:
jblittlefield wrote:

Well, think about it. The minimum length for a Savage Tale is 16 pages, and you'll be paying the same for anything up to 32 pages. That's an average of 24 pages.

Now, a 144 page book is costing $30. If a single Savage Tale cost $5, you should get about 6 per book. Divide 6 into 144, and you get... 24 pages! Very Happy

Personally, I think this is a great idea. I can pick and choose exactly which Savage Tales appeal to me, and those are the only ones I pay for. I don't know how many "compilation" books I bought that I felt I paid too much for what I would actually use.

It's not a question of economics - I liked the idea of a semi-annual SW compilation. I understand his reasoning behind doing things this way - it makes sound financial sense and the majority of people will most likely find this to be a great idea.

Honestly though, it doesn't really matter to me. I've found that all I need to enjoy this game is the SW main rulebook - I prefer my own creations to those of others (less tweaking to be done) - and for source material I find my huge collection of GURPS stuff to be more than adequate. I probably won't be buying anymore SW "setting books" (with the notable exception of the Deadlands: Reboot).
palehorse
Heroic

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2003 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm reserving judgement 'yea' or 'nay' until I get to see the results, though generally speaking, as a laptop using GM, I'm a fan of PDF's since they don't clutter up my area at game time.
jblittlefield
Legendary

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2003 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

palehorse wrote:
I'm reserving judgement 'yea' or 'nay' until I get to see the results, though generally speaking, as a laptop using GM, I'm a fan of PDF's since they don't clutter up my area at game time.

I'm sure the product will be exactly what we've come to expect - no argument here. I guess my only point was that I would be more likely to pick up a semi-annual print product than a bunch of individual PDFs.
palehorse
Heroic

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2003 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jblittlefield said:
Quote:
I'm sure the product will be exactly what we've come to expect - no argument here. I guess my only point was that I would be more likely to pick up a semi-annual print product than a bunch of individual PDFs.

Point taken, and again, I'm inclined to agree.

Guess I'm just used to switching off the judgemental part of my brain til I get a book (or PDF or whatever) in my hands, and then judge it in a vacuum as much as possible... Kinda goes with the job for yours truly.

(Which may sound like I'm tooting my own horn here, but really it's more of a pain in the butt than anything else, and most times I wish I didn't have to. I would love to write a review of some book that says, "Well, compared to Savage Worlds, this blows, but otherwise it's not too bad," but I don't think the editors would get as much of a kick out of it as I do. But, journalistic ethics and all that. Very Happy )
Clint
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2003 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

palehorse wrote:
I would love to write a review of some book that says, "Well, compared to Savage Worlds, this blows, but otherwise it's not too bad," but I don't think the editors would get as much of a kick out of it as I do.

I would pay good money to see a review like that! Very Happy

www.peginc.com
palehorse
Heroic

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2003 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish someone would pay me good money for a review like that!
Marguerite
Seasoned

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2003 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

palehorse wrote:
I wish someone would pay me good money for a review like that!

Could we pay you bad money? What about Monopoly money? Smile

Marguerite

palehorse
Heroic

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2003 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been on this diet long enough, a bag of M&M's and a Mountain Dew would probably do the trick.
marshal kt
Legendary

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2003 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, yopu do look a bit peaked in you pic. Wink
palehorse
Heroic

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2003 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I'm dropping weight like crazy; only problem is, it's all rotting off of my head!
marshal kt
Legendary

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2003 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

that's ok.. you weren't using all of that brain anyway.. most people only use like 10%,. go ahead.. eat the rest.
MadTinkerer
Legendary

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2003 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a GM, I would have preffered an annual or semi-annual compilation. As someone who is actually writing a Savage Tale, my maximum number of words has doubled to a minimum(going from no more than 4000 words to at least 8000 words)! So Hearts of Steel will take even longer to write(I had nearly finished the 4000- words version), but now I can put back in all the cool stuff that I had taken out for space constraints, expand the "Hey, GMs, don't let your players read this!" section, increase the number of adventures, heck maybe "go for broke" and turn it into a 32+ page plot-point book. Maybe. We'll see. Wink

Check out Mad Tinkerer Dot Org!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> Hey Pinnacle! All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: