Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Just saw Deadlands on TV!!!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> Hey Pinnacle!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wulfgyr
Novice

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 1:02 am    Post subject: Just saw Deadlands on TV!!! Reply with quote

My wife was watching a new show, Clean Sweep on TLC (The Learning Channel) and it's a show where a team goes in and de-clutterizes a couple's home. They force them to make tough decisions about what they are getting rid of and help them have a yard sale, meanwhile designers and carpenters are reworking their rooms to have better storage and clean things up.

The first episode had a couple named Doug and Jean. They play lots of boardgames and collect antique luggage, as well as a smattering of a dozen other "collections".

After the husband and wife sort everything out between keep and sell. They are each privately pulled aside and asked to pick an item from the keep section that their spouse really likes, but they don't want it to stick around. Then those two items are put up as the prize for whoever can make the most money at the yard sale. On this episode Jean decided that Doug's Deadlands book had to go. Looked like the first edition Deadlands rulebook. Unfortunately Doug lost and the book went bye bye. Sadly they didn't talk about it or explain what it was, she just picked it up and put it in a box. But you got to see the cover a couple of times and the back once.

Anyway, I'm wasted tired from some home rennovations projects (removed all the bricks from a nook in the house) but after I saw the Deadlands book, I just couldn't turn the TV off until I saw what happened. Thought I'd post it up here while it was still fresh in my mind.

Poor guy... lost his Deadlands book. Still, it's a good excuse for him to go out and pick up the second editions books! Twisted Evil

Steve Nelson
Rich Ranallo
Novice

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Truly a sad story...though if she only got to make him throw out one book, he's probably still got a bunch of suppliments.
Mort
Heroic

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

& a pdf backup Wink
Count Zero
Legendary

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He's not a real gamer then. A real gamers wife would know better!
Smile
Ok, mine would. Wink
Balance
Seasoned

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember reading some nasty comments about these kinds of shows on some other forums and newsgroups... Basically, some are extremely 'bookphobic' and often recommend throwing out books or intentionally destroying old books to use as 'decor!'

Eek!

I must admit,t hough, that I may be becoming the bibliophile equivalent of the crazy cat lady, who means well, but has more books than can be taken care of...
Count Zero
Legendary

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I find it hard to get rid of books as well. When I get a large number collected somewhere I box them up. Its hard to get rid of a book you really enjoyed.
MadTinkerer
Legendary

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone who comes to my house can just put up with the clutter. I'll give up my Anime tapes, Dr Who collection, 100s of RPG books, and 1000s of second-hand paperbacks in my own time. And if anyone even thinks of touching my comics improperly, they can kiss their fingers goodbye.

I only hope I can find a wife who is willing to put up with me. Wink

Check out Mad Tinkerer Dot Org!
palehorse
Heroic

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've always considered my collection of books (gaming and otherwise) to be part of my legacy to my children (well, just 1 child so far, but you never know)... Anybody wants to mess with that can mess with my foot in their posterior first!
DannyboyO1
Heroic

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's only a few types of books. The kind I treat like gold, and the kind that I give my folks. I could give up my D&D books. I could give up my White Wolf. It'd take a lot to make me give up Shadowrun... but I'm not relinquishing Deadlands unless I become quite brain dead.
MadTinkerer
Legendary

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

palehorse wrote:
I've always considered my collection of books (gaming and otherwise) to be part of my legacy to my children (well, just 1 child so far, but you never know)... Anybody wants to mess with that can mess with my foot in their posterior first!

I convinced my Mom not to get rid of the old Sesame Street Treasury books, not because I particularly wanted them for myself, but I want my kinds to learn to read using the same books I did! Of course, 80% of the Muppet characters in the Treasury aren't being used in Sesame Street anymore(heck, the Treasury books were written when Mr Hooper was still around and only Big Bird knew the Snufalupagus was real!), so I guess I'll have to shell out for The Complete Sesame Street DVDs when/if they come out some day. Cool Ah, I pine for the days when Kermit The Frog still reported for Sesame Street News, Guy Smiley was still hosting game shows and "Rebel L" was still a top ten single...

We also have a super duper ultra rare book that shows an orange Oscar The Grouch and a really young-looking Gordon with an afro(in the same picture). Apparently the the picture was taken in pre-production. No joke. I wonder if it's worth anything? Of course, I'd have to find it again first...

( /rant:
CURSE YOU, ELMO! I should have known you were trouble when you exposed Snuffy to the grown-ups! What did you do to Harry Monster, eh? How about Franklin Roosevelt? I HAVEN'T EVEN SEEN GROVER IN RECENT EPISODES! Whatever it is, I shall break Elmo's hold over Big Bird and restore Sesame Street to it's former glory. And maybe even figure out for certain whether Big Bird is a boy or a girl.

Or maybe I'll just take my medication.
/rant)

Check out Mad Tinkerer Dot Org!
jblittlefield
Legendary

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2003 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

palehorse wrote:

I'm with you 100% - and I have over 1000 volumes (wall-to-wall bookshelves in a finished garage) to drive home the point Wink

If more people read then maybe we wouldn't have all these educational issues ... Wink
Marguerite
Seasoned

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2003 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Count Zero wrote:

A real gamer's wife would have never thrown away a game book because she'd play too!

I treat my books with slightly less reverence than I treat my religion. Throw away a book, are you CRAZY? I still have my very first series of books I was given as a child, carefully wrapped in tissue paper to preserve for my children.

As sad as it was to see the Deadlands book thrown away, I'm delighted to see the Ol' Orange get some airtime!

Marguerite

Nilus
Seasoned

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2003 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marguerite wrote:
Count Zero wrote:

A real gamer's wife would have never thrown away a game book because she'd play too!

I treat my books with slightly less reverence than I treat my religion. Throw away a book, are you CRAZY? I still have my very first series of books I was given as a child, carefully wrapped in tissue paper to preserve for my children.

Tis a shame you are taken Marguerite. My last girl friend referred to my Deadlands and Hell on Earth collection as those ugly Green and Orange books. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
palehorse
Heroic

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2003 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mad Tinkerer said:
Quote:
CURSE YOU, ELMO! I should have known you were trouble when you exposed Snuffy to the grown-ups! What did you do to Harry Monster, eh? How about Franklin Roosevelt? I HAVEN'T EVEN SEEN GROVER IN RECENT EPISODES! Whatever it is, I shall break Elmo's hold over Big Bird and restore Sesame Street to it's former glory. And maybe even figure out for certain whether Big Bird is a boy or a girl.

Grover (alond with Bert & Ernie, Prairie Dawn, and Cookie Monster) are featured prominently on 'Play With Me Sesame', on Nickelodeon's excellent Noggin channel... Smile
(Noggin shows educational programs like classic Sesame Street episodes, with NO commercials, from 5am to 5pm central time, 7 days a week. If you've got pre-school kids its worth getting cable for.)
lordthrog
Heroic

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2003 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nilus wrote:
My last girl friend referred to my Deadlands and Hell on Earth collection as those ugly Green and Orange books. Smile

The Deadands books in our house are mine and I refer to them as the Ugly Orange Books (alas I have no green, yet).

"So, what weapon should I use? I'm very proficient with the Spork, but I also swing a mean sock of Legos." - Bucky Katt
Psykoguy
Heroic

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2003 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have all the ugly green books, and despite my efforts to organize them on the shelves, i just keep reading them, so half the time they're on the floor of my room.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Balance
Seasoned

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2003 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My books (both Orange, Green, and otherwise...) tend to migrate around my apartment...
Anonymous

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2003 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jblittlefield wrote:
palehorse wrote:

I'm with you 100% - and I have over 1000 volumes (wall-to-wall bookshelves in a finished garage) to drive home the point Wink

I'm with all of you on this. Once it became clear that I was going to be an only child, my parents turned our spare bedroom into a library, with one wall as a floor to ceiling, wall to wall bookshelf.

I havent' don't that yet, but I'm about to buy my sixth bookcase. Smile And that's in addition to a walk-in closet dedicated to games and computer supplies.

Fenris
MarshalEric
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2003 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marguerite wrote:
Marguerite

I gotta disagree, based on personal experience. My wife does not do gaming, whatsoever. She thinks it's this geeky hobby of mine. I asked her what about it turns her off and she says "I don't really care. I'm just not interested in it."
That's the defense I use whenever she tries to take me to the ballet! Very Happy

MarshalEric
jblittlefield
Legendary

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2003 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarshalEric wrote:
Marguerite wrote:
Marguerite

I gotta disagree, based on personal experience. My wife does not do gaming, whatsoever. She thinks it's this geeky hobby of mine. I asked her what about it turns her off and she says "I don't really care. I'm just not interested in it."
That's the defense I use whenever she tries to take me to the ballet! Very Happy

MarshalEric

Smile

26 years of gaming and 10 of marriage - I don't want my wife involved in *all* my hobbies Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> Hey Pinnacle! All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: