Username:    Password:      Remember me       
Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group
Discussion Forum for PEG/GWG

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Just saw Deadlands on TV!!!
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> Hey Pinnacle!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DannyboyO1
Heroic

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2003 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Psykoguy wrote:
I have all the ugly green books, and despite my efforts to organize them on the shelves, i just keep reading them, so half the time they're on the floor of my room.

I wound up with a cute little device... 3 stackable storage bins, the bottom one on wheels. Makes a nice deadlands book rack. And I can see the titles, so I don't have to spend a lot of time wondering which pile on the floor has the right book. It's spiffy.
Marguerite
Seasoned

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2003 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarshalEric wrote:
I gotta disagree, based on personal experience. My wife does not do gaming, whatsoever. She thinks it's this geeky hobby of mine. I asked her what about it turns her off and she says "I don't really care. I'm just not interested in it." That's the defense I use whenever she tries to take me to the ballet! Very Happy

But does it work? I bet nine times out of ten, you still wind up going to the ballet, but she never picks up dice. Personally, I think that's a real shame.

Even worse when, as I've seen with other couples, it's okay when she spends $x on some new fad, but you catch the 3rd degree for a gaming supplement. I'm not saying that's your situation, but I couldn't be happier with my gaming beloved.

jblittlefield wrote:
26 years of gaming and 10 of marriage - I don't want my wife involved in *all* my hobbies Wink

Oh why not?!?! After you've overthrown empires together, all those petty day to day squables seem like nothing. "I know work is stressing you out right now dear, how about some ogre-stomping to let off steam?" Works every time! Wink

Marguerite

Count Zero
Legendary

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2003 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hear a LOT from guys claiming that their wives barely tolerate their hobby. I don't get it but I guess thats for a marriage counselor to figure out. Wink

I have the best of both worlds. My wife games when a setting appeals to her or its CoC Wink . So she understands and enjoys the hobby and encourages it but doesn't play in all the games. Thats one of the reasons we're married I guess.

Marguerite - I can't think of a better way to spend a Saturday night than stomping ogres with the one you love. Very Happy
palehorse
Heroic

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2003 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got my wife hooked back in college and she never looked back... she's my #1 playtester when it comes to reviewing products, too.
Marc Hameleers
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2003 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, i got my wife hooked as well. And it's perfect, she doesn't play in all my games, sowe have some seperate time as well.

She now even plays deadlands, though i;mnot sure yet wether she likes it as much as fantasy. We'll see!

marc
Shadetree
Novice

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2003 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well my wife doesn't play rpg's. Sometimes I wish she did othertimes I'm glad she doesn't. Regardless, as long as we have money, she has no problem with me buying gaming stuff. In fact on saturdays she'll usually say "I'm cleaning the house and then watching law-n-order, either help or go to {flgs}. " Before I can even answer she usually says "Your gears allready in the car, have fun."
MarshalEric
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2003 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marguerite wrote:
But does it work? I bet nine times out of ten, you still wind up going to the ballet, but she never picks up dice. Personally, I think that's a real shame.

Nope! I only went with her to the ballet once. She tried taking me again and I said no. Musicals, yeah, I could tolerate musicals or even concerts, but ballet is just boring to me.
She knows I spend $ on gaming books, but I have two jobs. You should see the books she buys: books on gardening, pop literature and leftist politics. Smile

jblittlefield wrote:
26 years of gaming and 10 of marriage - I don't want my wife involved in *all* my hobbies Wink

Marguerite wrote:
Oh why not?!?! After you've overthrown empires together, all those petty day to day squables seem like nothing. "I know work is stressing you out right now dear, how about some ogre-stomping to let off steam?" Works every time! Wink

Sadly, I thing she's challenged in the imagination department. Strange, because she watches Star Trek, Star Wars, The Twilight Zone and other scenice fiction. She's just not interested in RPGs, but she knew I played before she married me. I think she has problems with violence in the games.
She once said; "Why do you have to have combat? Why can't you just solve your problems in other ways?"

Like you're going to play a hippy gunslinger in Deadlands who just thinks Stone and Raven are "misunderstood" and lash out at society because they're victims. The hippy gunslinger is making "Hug Your Harrowed" signs before poetry reading at the saloon.
Yeah, that's much more fun than leveling a Colt .45 at a pack of walkin' dead! Smile

MarshalEric
Balance
Seasoned

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2003 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, a pacifist character can potentially be a lot of fun if the Marshall can cope with it. As long as unneeded 'preachiness' is avoided, there's a lot of potential room for a character who avoids fight scenes, or spends combata ctions trying to accomplish goals besides filling the bad guys full of lead.
Marguerite
Seasoned

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2003 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarshalEric wrote:
Sadly, I thing she's challenged in the imagination department. Strange, because she watches Star Trek, Star Wars, The Twilight Zone and other scenice fiction. She's just not interested in RPGs, but she knew I played before she married me. I think she has problems with violence in the games. She once said; "Why do you have to have combat? Why can't you just solve your problems in other ways?"

Maybe you could consider running a game just for her that plays to her interests. If she likes Star Trek, for example, run a game where she's the captain of a ship. Part of the hard part of getting people into gaming is tailoring your approach. If she doesn't like fantasy, for example, don't bust out Evernight as her first game.

Plus, well... as Captain Archer is learning, sometimes you can only get so far with peaceful solutions. Let her discovery that herself, and I think you'll have her hooked. One too many hostile alien negotiations, and she'll learn the utility of strategic combat.

Damn you, UPN, for making that series so APPEALING now...

Marguerite

MarshalEric
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2003 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marguerite wrote:
If she doesn't like fantasy, for example, don't bust out Evernight as her first game.

The funny thing is she likes the Lord of the Rings movies. We were watching The Two Towers DVD and she really got into it, but when it reached the scene at Helm's Deep she's like "I think I'll read now." She doesn't like graphic violence.

Marguerite wrote:
Plus, well... as Captain Archer is learning, sometimes you can only get so far with peaceful solutions. Let her discovery that herself, and I think you'll have her hooked. One too many hostile alien negotiations, and she'll learn the utility of strategic combat.

Damn you, UPN, for making that series so APPEALING now...

Marguerite

Yeah, who'd have thought the Vulcans could be so bad and Scott Bakula so good? Smile
But I think you're on to something, Marguerite. She likes The Next generation Star Trek. Maybe playing that scenario with familiar characters she enjoys like Piccard and Data might get her hooked...

MarshalEric
Marguerite
Seasoned

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2003 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarshalEric wrote:
But I think you're on to something, Marguerite. She likes The Next generation Star Trek. Maybe playing that scenario with familiar characters she enjoys like Piccard and Data might get her hooked...

Thanks, I've seen that exact scenario (a Star Trek game) work for another female friend who's married to a gamer. Good luck, and keep us posted!

Marguerite

DannyboyO1
Heroic

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2003 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marguerite wrote:
Thanks, I've seen that exact scenario (a Star Trek game) work for another female friend who's married to a gamer. Good luck, and keep us posted!

Marguerite

I suspect having you for a friend *might* be an influence.
marshal kt
Legendary

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2003 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

my wife is sorta like marshal eric's wife. she has a limited imagination, but likes sci fi; trek, b5 and some others. she knew i was a gamer b4 we got married. she doesn't want to try it. she has, but can't get into a character. she had the same problem in the SCA, where we me. as far as violence, the only sport she likes is hockey. though she has been know to watch a prize fight or 2. like i said, we met in the SCA and she was always around us stick jocks and on the field, instead of with the women.
wulfgyr
Novice

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2003 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My wife actually gamed with my group for about a year, until our son was born. Now she sits out and watches him while we game.

She was kind of the opposite. She didn't get into the role-playing aspect so much, but she always made a character who was a complete bad-axe. She was our second best fighter when we ran an L5R game, a Lion Samurai-ko with a two handed sword, only our Crab Berserker with his tetsubo was nastier in combat.

Of course at the time our gaming group was half female, so I think she felt more comfortable joining in. Right now we're down to just one woman in our group who has to occassionally roll her eyes at the boys behaving badly. #evil

Steve
Marguerite
Seasoned

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2003 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DannyboyO1 wrote:
I suspect having you for a friend *might* be an influence.

Eh, maybe. They're both e-mail pals on the other side of the country; I've never met either. It's not like they hang out on the weekends or anything. Wink

Marguerite

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Great White Games/Pinnacle Entertainment Group Forum Index -> Hey Pinnacle! All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: